Amtrak Northeast Train information.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ICE was an German trainset that came over for a while in 1993 to be tested on the Northeast corridor along with the X-2000. Both tested on the NEC and toured the country in 93 and were returned by the end of the year.

Ive got a question, was there always Custom class (Now Business class)or did it just come out fairly recently?! Now I know that there was as built Amclubs but never heard of any Amcustoms, so how did Custom Class come about and werent there whole cars that were converted to Custom Class status much like the business class of today?

Custom Class was born in the mid-90's, around the same time Northeast Direct service began, and was to replace Club Class. Custom Class cars were some of the first Amfleet referbishments with blue seats and a lighter interior. In the long run, Custom Class really never took a strong hold as there was still Club Class service on Northeast Direct trains up until 1999. The Custom Class name still applies to Midwest service trains, and was used on San Diegan trains until the Surfliner washed in. Before the mid-90's it was Coach Class or Club Class, however some Amfleet I Coaches had 60 seats intended for long trips.

Thanks for the info Amfleet, one more question, when were the metroliner cars done into the blue/gray interior? I recall seeing pictures from 96 or 97 Amtrak Travel planner of metroliner coaches having blue interiors.

The Concept was probably introduced about that time, with a slow trickle of cars coming in with the new interior following that.

Well I remember saying to myself when I first saw this pics of those refurbished Metroliner cars how sharp they looked with the blue interior instead of the red, and well luckly now adays Amtrak has most of their cars into better colors.

P40Power said:
Thanks for the info Amfleet, one more question, when were the metroliner cars done into the blue/gray interior? I recall seeing pictures from 96 or 97 Amtrak Travel planner of metroliner coaches having blue interiors.
I think the actual Concept 2000 program started around 1996 introducing newly referbished Coaches and Clubs on Metroliner and Custom Class on Northeast Direct. In fact, some of the first referbished Amfleet cars were still painted in Phase III I believe! Though the Concept 2000 cars are nice, I much prefer the Capstone 2001 (Acela Regional) Coaches and Business Class cars as the seat cushions are a bit softer and more comfortable.

There are a handful of Amcan II's that got the new interior but remained in Phase III until Phase VI came out. As of right now there are only two or three Amfleet II's I know of still in Phase III.

battalion51 said:
There are a handful of Amcan II's that got the new interior but remained in Phase III until Phase VI came out. As of right now there are only two or three Amfleet II's I know of still in Phase III.
Same with the Amfleet Is. I only saw one in Phase III on my last trip. The only other remaining cars in Phase III seem to be Heritage Fleet Diners and Baggage cars.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Is the North Phila Station a very old Station and why?
If a station is old, there's no "why" other than the fact that it was built a long time ago to serve the needs of the traveling public :)

Amtrak Railfan said:
Is the North Phila Station a very old Station and why?
Well that sort of depends on your opinion. The current station is new and the platforms are currently being rebuilt.

However, the old station is still there but it is no longer used by passengers.

You can see a few pictures of the station, thanks to Coachseats finding that wonderful site full of station pictures, by clicking here.

As Anthony mentioned above, there is no why. It's just the way it is, old things get torn down or used for something else, and new things get built. It's the way of the world.

Viewliner said:
All National ones should change around late October (29 or so)
Actually it would probably be October 26th when the schedule changes for both National and the Northeast. It's always the last Sunday of October.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
All National ones should change around late October (29 or so)
Actually it would probably be October 26th when the schedule changes for both National and the Northeast. It's always the last Sunday of October.
Oops, was just taking a rough guess. :eek:

On the Amtrak Train Route the Maple Leaf where is the border Crossing between the USA and Canada and what does the Passagers need to do when they want to go to canada from the USA on the Maple Leaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back