Amtrak Northeast Train information.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
Hello there I want to get information on the Amtrak Northeast Train Routes please. My first thing to ask is If I need to go to New York NY from Boston MA the faster way is the Regional and Acela Express Trains?

Well Regional and Acela are the only way you can do that. As for which one takes less time, obviously Acela is the winner, but it also comes with a price. Regionals only take about half an hour longer if I'm not mistaken, and for the ordinary traveler suit their needs just fine. Regionals come in two forms, reserved and unreserved. Unreserved trains are cheaper to travel on, but there is no guarantee that you will have a seat (although the odds of not having a seat are pretty slim). Unreserved trains also allow flexibility in that you can travel at your leisure between the hours that your fare allows. Reserved trains guarantee you a seat, but you also must board that train and only that train on that day. As far as equipment differences between Reserved and Unreserved trains there really is no difference, they both pull from the same pool of equipment.

When Amtrak took away the sleepers from the Silver Palm, they had to change the name to be different. This way people would not confuse the Plametto with the other Silver Service trains that do have sleepers.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Mr Amfleet do you mean the Vermonter?
No, I meant all those trains because they travel on the Empire Corridor to destinations beyond Albany. The Vermonter travels up through New Haven and Hartford. I would actually be more inclined to say that you would probably only find a private car on the Lake Shore Limited between New York and Albany (the Emprie Corridor).

HAHA he got you there Amfleet, in your above topic you DID mention the Montrealer!! As we all know thats been gone since 95, but hey we all make mistakes now and then! :D

P40Power said:
HAHA he got you there Amfleet, in your above topic you DID mention the Montrealer!! As we all know thats been gone since 95, but hey we all make mistakes now and then! :D
Oops, for some reason I always get the Montrealer conused with the Maple Leaf (which is what I meant in the first place). :blink: Thanks for correcting me though. :D

Well Private Cars come in many shapes and forms. You can see any type of private car (except for a Dome on trains into/out of New York The private Dome could be added after that, but no Dome will fit into Penn Station). But other than that you can see sleepers, parlors, diners, lounges, and coaches, there's no telling what you'll see.

Usually many private cars of are of the sleeper varity along with some parlor seating thrown in, sometimes they even have a small kitchen area which makes them like the coolest RV around!!

Well, my faviorte private car is the one that I rode in once a few years back, the Sierra Hotel. Its very unique because not only does it have a lounge dome on the top of the car, but also has a porch on the rear.

Well former metroliner MU cars still run on the corridor, mainly on the Vermonter.

But their last run as their originial selves would have probably been in 1980 or so when the AEM-7s started to arrive.

Amtrak Railfan said:
When was the last run for the Metroliner Cars on the Northeast Corridor?
Metroliner's still run on the NEC. There are at least two or three Metroliner trains every day.

Railfan, there are probably thousands of pictures of various metroliners through out the years all over the internet. A real good place to go is railpictures.com and type in what youre looking for, they have many many pictures there!

Ex-Metroliner cars are most prominently found on the shuttles between NHV-SPG, other than that I think they pretty much blend in with the rest of the fleet. As a side note, several Metroliner cab cars (not 9600 series) have been reported as being scrapped in Wilmington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back