Amtrak Online Reservation System

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
One major dissatisfaction I have with the old and new online reservation system is the 4 segment limit. I wanted to plan the following trip. Chico, CA/Seattle/Chicago/New York/Chicago/Portland/Chico. There is no way to select it. Since I wanted stopovers in Seattle, Chicago, and New York, there was no way to ask return routing through Portland or even Seattle. I don't want the Zephyr again this year. Does anyone know a way around this?

I know that I can request each segment separately but the total fare would not be correct.

I would like to check out many combinations to plan for a trip next summer. I don't want to phone each one in.

The only way around it that I know of is to talk to a live person or hack into ARROW (I would recommend the first option).

I believe Amtrak has "Explore America" fares or something like that for the rail fare portion of your trip if it satisfies certain requirements. See here for details.

Just make that your rail fare, and then price your individual sleeper/business class segments separately (as the accommodation charge is rarely subject to any special deals or discounts). Once you've got the itinerary figured out, call 800-USA-RAIL and tell the agent what you want to do.

Back