Amtrak OTP Soars 5%

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
As posted by Gene Poon. First colomn is OTP for November 2003. Second colomn is OTP Goal.
Service         Nov 03    Goal

Acela Express    83.4%    94.0%

Auto Train       66.7%    70.0%

Cal Zephyr       48.3%    70.0%

Capitol Ltd      56.7%    70.0%

Capitols         85.6%    85.0%

Cardinal         34.6%    70.0%

Carolinian       55.0%    85.0%

Cascades         63.8%    85.0%

City of NO       36.7%    70.0%

Clocker/Keyst    71.2%    90.0%

Coast Starlight  28.3%    70.0%

Crescent         75.0%    70.0%

Downeaster       92.9%    85.0%

Empire Service   82.4%    85.0%

Empire Builder   60.0%    70.0%

Heartland Flyer  73.3%    85.0%

Hiawatha         91.7%    85.0%

Hoosier State    64.7%    85.0%

Illinois/MO      64.7%    85.0%

Lake Shore Ltd   47.9%    70.0%

Metroliner       83.1%    94.0%

Michigan         65.0%    85.0%

Pac Surfliner    85.2%    85.0%

Pennsylvanian    51.7%    85.0%

Piedmont         81.4%    85.0%

Regional         81.2%    90.0%

San Joaquins     53.9%    85.0%

Silver Service   59.2%    70.0%

Southwest Chief  63.3%    70.0%

Sunset Ltd       12.5%    70.0%

Texas Eagle      66.7%    70.0%

Three Rivers     56.7%    70.0%

ALL AMTRAK       75.5%    85.0%
Most noteable come back was the Acela Express OTP. I think it was down around 65% in October, but it is good to see it almost at 85%.

Yeah, but my train absolutely tanked. 60% is pretty bad for the Empire Builder. Usually it's up in the 80%+ range. I guess all the problems that the Builder had at the beginning of November really hurt its time performance.

I am most suprised by the California Zephyr. Over the summer months, I counted 1, yes 1, westbound Zephyr over a period of about 110 days that arrived into Emeryville ontime.

Well Amtrak's measure of on time doesn't mean that it's sitting in Emeryville when the card says it is. Amtrak's definition of on time is one half hour late per railroad that the train operates over. So for example the Vermonter, the New England Central must deliver the train to Palmer/St. Albans within one half hour of the scheduled run time the train is alotted from the time it recieved the train. CSX must deliver the train to Palmer/Springfield within one half hour of the scheduled run time from the time it recieves the train. So in all reality the train could get knocked for half an hour by CSX, New England Central, and from itself, for a grand total of an hour and a half, and it would still be considered "on time."

battalion51 said:
Well Amtrak's measure of on time doesn't mean that it's sitting in Emeryville when the card says it is. Amtrak's definition of on time is one half hour late per railroad that the train operates over. So for example the Vermonter, the New England Central must deliver the train to Palmer/St. Albans within one half hour of the scheduled run time the train is alotted from the time it recieved the train. CSX must deliver the train to Palmer/Springfield within one half hour of the scheduled run time from the time it recieves the train. So in all reality the train could get knocked for half an hour by CSX, New England Central, and from itself, for a grand total of an hour and a half, and it would still be considered "on time."
While that may be true (but confusing), this is Amtrak's end-pont OTP. I think if a train is 20 minutes late it is still considered on-time. Corridor trains I think can be 10 minutes late to still be considered on-time.

Actually Amtrak's on-time stats are based upon mileage traveled, not corridor vs long distance.

Based upon the stats, it seems that any train that runs under 300 miles total is held to a 10 minute tolerance. Any train over 300 miles is held to a 30 minute window. Esentially this means that the Metroliners cannot be more than 10 minutes late and still be on time. However the Acela's that run from Boston to DC can be up to 30 minutes late and still be considered on time. An Acela that terminates or originates at NY however is held to the 10 minute window.

All LD's of course are also held to the 30 minute window.

Battalion is also partially correct when he mentioned each railroad being allowed 30 minutes. Those 30 minute windows are for Amtrak's statistics on how well that host RR is doing for Amtrak. So when Amtrak says the UP is making the trains late, they are using that window for their calculations.

The times are not cumulative however for the entire run. When the LD gets to it's end point, if it's more than 30 minutes behind schedule, then it's considered late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back