Amtrak Playing Cards?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Penn

OBS Chief
Has anyone ever purchased these? Do they have anything to do with Amtrak, or are they regular cards?

Does anyone have any good pictures of them?

Has anyone ever purchased these? Do they have anything to do with Amtrak, or are they regular cards?

Does anyone have any good pictures of them?
There's a standard Amtrak deck with a photo of an train on the back of each card (same picture on every card, of course). I've also purchased an Empire Builder deck, which had the Empire Builder poster on the back. I'd imagine that there were cards for other trains, but I've never found them. Lounge car attendants generally are flummoxed when I have asked about them.

For the longest time they all had the same picture regardless of the train, Twas a pair of Phase III F40PHs pulling a single-level train with a dome car over a bridge. Last time I was on I bought a new deck and the image had been switched out to something newer (can't recall what off the top of my head, deck is somewhere in the other room) But I do remember the Attendant saying that they were the same on all the other trains. Maybe the EB has a special deck or something. While it would be cool to have different decks for each train it would probably be way to expensive for Amtrak.

That being said they are a great thing to pick up if your bored on board & want something to do. You can usually find a couple other people who wouldn't mind playing a game with you.

peter

I was on train 448 from CHI to BOS on this week, and they still had the cards with the Phase III F40s crossing a river. I bought a deck, and I'll put a picture up at some point. Does anyone happen to know where that shot was taken?

At Train Day 2010, they were giving out decks with Amtrak great trains of the west....cool...will not open them to play..something to save..just like my pins and acela hat..and conductor hat.... :lol: I was on the 75th anniv of Empire Builder...they gave out neat things then...Will be on the Builder on the 26th...going to stay with my grandkids and daugther in the 441 engine in Essex...just hope we don't get in too late... :rolleyes:

The shot is of train #30 at Harpers Ferry WV crossing the Potomac River about 1988-89.

I'm not sure if they are "updating", but I have a newer set which has the Amtrak logo on blue. I also have the deck with the F40 picture, and I think I remember seeing a newer version with a GE loco on it.

Saw them for sale in the cafe car on the Pacific Surfliner yesterday. I didn't look closely enough to see what the photos was.

I have two different sets. One is the F40phs on the bridge (of which I have a couple). I also have a different one kicking around somewhere.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back