Amtrak Police Questioning in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too late now, but you probably should have told them after your father checked in to it that "these boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do. One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you."

Most of my questions have been asked by others, and I don't find the answers satisfactory. I'm wondering why they wanted your Social Security number, and whether you were legally obliged to give it.

Tom

Most of my questions have been asked by others, and I don't find the answers satisfactory. I'm wondering why they wanted your Social Security number, and whether you were legally obliged to give it.
http://www.identityhawk.com/Who-Can-Lawfully-Request-My-Social-Security-Number

Please note that this Act stipulates that no one can deny you a government service or benefit for failing to provide your SSN unless federal law specifically requires it.

You aren't legally required to provide your SSN to businesses unless one of the following is true:

• You'll be engaging in a transaction that requires notification to the Internal Revenue Service; or

• You're initiating a financial transaction subject to federal Customer Identification Program rules.

If you refuse to provide your SSN, companies may choose not to do business with you, but there's no law that prevents them from asking for it.
That said, I have no doubt that they could make your life a bit more...uncomfortable if you refuse.

Most other places I searched say that a valid drivers license would be adequate ID.

They asked for my SSN at the very end when they were filling out what they refered to as "paper work."

I almost asked why they needed that but figured if they wanted it they were gonna get it anyways so why bother.

They also weren't satisfied with my passport card as ID. They wanted to see a state id. Which I gave them, but why did it matter?

I wish I had been more brave and asked if I was free to go after the first questions, I feel like after I showed a ticket and an ID they had no reason not to let me go.

The reason these bullies get away with this is that we sheeple bought into the Post 911 Paranoua of "Be afraid! Be very afraid! We'll save you if you just give up your rights and give us Billions of Dollars!"

You could look it up! as Casey Stengel used to say!

"Power to the People!" John Lennon

They asked for my SSN at the very end when they were filling out what they refered to as "paper work."

I almost asked why they needed that but figured if they wanted it they were gonna get it anyway so why brother.
No you did not need to give them your SSN.

They also weren't satisfied with my passport card as ID. They wanted to see a state id. Which I gave them, but why did it matter?
State ID has your address. Easy for them to background you.

I wish I had been more brave and asked if I was free to go after the first questions, I feel like after I showed a ticket and an ID they had no reason not to let me go.
Your a law following person, you were not doing anything illegal. You were caught off-guard. Much easier to back-seat drive then be the person holding the wheel.

The luggage search and questioning was on the train and was the standard solo passenger traveling from Chicago out west...
What do you mean by that? Next month will be my first Amtrak ride and I'm a "match" - traveling solo from Chicago to LA. Should I be prepared for an interrogation?
Unfortunately yes!

However, you can play the confused tourist that doesn't quite understand English so well if they single you out.

Just show them your Passport and ticket and answer any questions as briefly as possible, dint volunteer any information or try to chat them up or make jokes.
Is there a particular reason for this? Are they searching for drugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back