Amtrak Shutdown in Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Ryu

Conductor
By now everyone heard the tragic news from Boston. I was supposed to take the Regional t Boston upcoming Wednesday. Thinking about canceling/postponing. Whats the refund/ postpone policy? Amy financial penalties? And is it a good idea to still go this Wednesday?

Depending on what you planned to do, I'd consider postponing the trip. The people Boston will be in turmoil for a good while over this, I'd imagine.

On the other hand, ifyou are just passing through BOS to another destination, and the trains are running, it's probably safe.

I bet there is hightened security but is probably one on the safest places to go.

Go for it.

If we fear to live our lives due to actions such as this the terrorists win.

I wouldn't be worried about my safety but would be more concerned about getting around, are the places I plan to go to going to be open, etc.

I was just talking with my friend about our trip to Boston next month when I heard about the bombing. Unless things happen between now & then, I plan to go. But I understand your concern this close to the event.

We cannot let the evil win. As the area where this happened besides the marathon is not really a tourist area, I would visit, nothing has been closed in the city except the immediate area. The MBTA was stopped and the airport was locked down, but both have since resumed. I would think that besides a higher level of security presence, that everything will be open to carry on life, maybe not tomorrow but definitely by Wednesday. Of course this is barring anything else happening.

I am in the area, and I wouldn't be too concerned about it on Wednesday. If you do cancel, as long as you cancel prior to 24 hours before the trip and you didn't buy an E bucket regional fare, you can get a refund.

I hate putting like this but that could have been anywhere at any time. If we put life on hold after every event happens then we wouldn't live.

We can do our best to prevent events like this from occurring but as long as people are determined, things like this will keep on happening. All we can do is try to stay one step ahead and do out part to be vigilant against acts like this.

I am in the area, and I wouldn't be too concerned about it on Wednesday. If you do cancel, as long as you cancel prior to 24 hours before the trip and you didn't buy an E bucket regional fare, you can get a refund.
I trust your husband, family and friends are ok?
Yes, thank you. H had the day off for Patriots day, and while he was tempted to head into BOS as he is a runner and we had friends running, decided to stay in PVD. I am so thankful he did.

We had several friends running and all are confirmed OK. I feel so sad for anyone who was there and also who have an affected loved one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that yesterday, late afternoon, CNN interviewed a spokes woman from Amtrak, and she said that all trains will continue, but Amtrak itself would be increasing security. Matter of fact, she mentioned that all of the Amtrak security people are being asked to stay on duty and not go home at the end of their shifts.

This morning, the New York radio stations were interviewing Amtrak passengers in Penn Station

regarding increased security on all departing trains. All of the interviewees were pleased with

the security and felt it was proper and complimented Amtrak for the security.

If handled properly, all Amtrak needs to do is increase the number of Bomb Dogs at key stations and let them give everyone a good sniff as they pass through the boarding gates or other control points. This way bomb specific security is increased with minimal if any disturbance to pax.

Unless the areas you'd planned to visit are closed, I wouldn't be concerned. Lots of places are reopening as we speak.

What is your concern, if not security?

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrorists - whether religious or political, whether domestic or foreign - are out there to create as much hysteria as possible for their cause.

In reality, every train, every plane, every bridge, every event, every town on any day is subject to terrorist activity such as this.

When we alter our lives out of fear for it, then those that perpetrate those crimes are legitimized.

Be prudent, and stay aware.

My condolences to those victims of this attack, but at the same time we cannot let these terroists win, we cannot live in fear, this is a tragedy yeah but we have to step on our two feets and continue on with our lives, Goals and Dreams cannot be stopped over one Terrorist attack.

So go if you want to come to Boston you can, Terroists cannot stop the free will about people, and since it will be more secured the better but still go visit there is nothing that should put you down or anybody down in that manner have strong willpower and you can accomplish many things.

Here is a nice little anecdote for anyone still following this thread.

My H went into Boston today for work and is coming home on the 175. He says that the attitude on the train is kind of somber and there are a few runners in the Boston marathon jackets (all runners get these, the colors vary by year, they have the year of the marathon on them). The conductor in his car taking tickets sent the marathon runners up to Business Class saying they deserved it after all they went through. He said it was very heart warming.

Awww. That's nice. :)

It was heartwarming to see the hundreds (now thousands) of people on the Google doc spreadsheet who provided their email/phone and number of rooms/beds/floor space available for people to stay. One entry even had something about, "We make gluten-free meals, so if you or your kids have celiac disease, come stay with us!" Others had stuff like, "We have a sweet, fluffy dog to hug if you are sad." It was so awesome to see that list grow in leaps and bounds. It was a nice reminder that, in the midst of all of this, there are so many GOOD people in the world.

Boston is open for business - mourning, but moving on. Copley Square is still a crime scene, and thus closed. But the MBTA is up and running, the trains and planes are coming and going on time (except for American Airlines, which was grounded yesterday for computer problems unrelated to the bombing).

It's a gorgeous day here in Boston. Come on up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back