Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those would be the third rail requirements (LIRR might be 80, don't remember for sure) but the 125 referred to max speed under diesel. 110 still satisfies all present and forseeable future needs. Nothing in this area is going to 125 that will be served by these locos.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, MAS on the LIRR when carrying passengers is 80 but I believe it's higher if no passengers are on board. 110 seems reasonable for the LIRR's needs.

Ah, well, if they ever upgrade speeds on the Empire Corridor, they'll put up catenary *and* buy new locomotives. These dual-modes are basically an LIRR order, I guess.

Those would be the third rail requirements (LIRR might be 80, don't remember for sure) but the 125 referred to max speed under diesel. 110 still satisfies all present and forseeable future needs. Nothing in this area is going to 125 that will be served by these locos.
The max operating speed over all the various Empire corridor, Adirondack, Ethan Allen routes, MNRR, LIRR segments are spelled out in this document on the NGEC page link: Existing and Projected Maximum Authorized Speeds for State-Supported Passenger Service in New York State.

Again, NY State DOT is looking to purchase Dual Mode locomotives which can operate over the Empire Corridor, Adirondack, Ethan Allen, and MNRR & LIRR territory (but not through the East Side Access 63rd street tunnel). This is all laid out in those documents. Too late to start a separate thread on this I guess.

Thanks for posting, that "covers a lot of ground" Save some time by eliminating the change on a couple of trains. I didn't see the mention of the possible upgrade of the CSX segment West to Buffalo to allow for 110 mph ops, but that would be within these capabilities anyway.

Funny thing about the LIRR, even if you had a lower profile loco that could clear the 63rd st tunnel, they don't have any non powered passenger cars for them to pull that would clear the height. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Ah, well, if they ever upgrade speeds on the Empire Corridor, they'll put up catenary *and* buy new locomotives. These dual-modes are basically an LIRR order, I guess.
LIRR does not really use too many dual modes in dual mode. Relatively few trains go into Penn Station with dual mode + C3s. Most outer zone diesels run to Jamaica or Hunterspoint Avenue only. There are a few token rush hour trains that run through to Penn Station.

The dual modes are actually mostly for Metro North.

They bought 25 and currently operate 23. I think some of them switch over approaching Jamaica and run into HP on 3rd rail. They bought 20 straight diesel, but that became 21 when the electrical cabinet got fried on one of the DMs. 25 units is a decent size fleet, larger than the Amtrak group on Empire Service.

Yes, but ask them how many of them ever run in electric mode in commercial service and the answer might surprise you. Of course part of the problem is that they have miserable MDBF in e-mode too. If they were more reliable they would be used more.

But the fundamental difference between LIRR and MNRR is that LIRR has Jamaica. MNRR does not have an equivalent. So MNRR trains have to basically get into Grand Central and hence require dual mode unless they are short turned far away, like in Stamford, Croton Harmon or White Plains/Southeast. For LIRR it is just an added luxury to avoid a change in Jamaica which a significant proportion of LIRR passengers already do for other reasons. It is not as critical for LIRR to run outer zone trains all the way into Penn Station.

They try not to switch if they can avoid it, from what I remember they have had issues with them crapping out. That was why the ones going through Jamaica switch early, that way if they died, they wouldn't clog Jamaica. They don't like to talk much about that whole acquisition, it didn't really go well in a bunch of ways. I do agree with you that they are likely to try and reduce their DM fleet in the future, they don't use them as originally planned, and they have been troublesome. As to the future, MN would be the largest user, Amtrak maybe 20 (17? of the original 18 sill running) even if LIRR dropped to 10 it could still be 60 units which is a decent build.

Running in E-mode on the LIRR DMs is also relatively rough. Every time the locomotive gaps, the computer immediately activates the dynamic/regen brake circuit to keep the HEP trainline energized. This makes negotiating interlocks quite an experience.

Saw this report at Railway Age: Cummins receives Tier 4 certification for QSK95. Excerpt:

Cummins Inc. has received Tier 4 Locomotive certification for its QSK95, making it the first single prime power engine certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the company announced April 4, 2016.

At 4,400 hp (3,281 kW), the QSK95 achieves the highest output of any 16-cylinder high-speed diesel, and is capable of a top speed of 125 mph (201 km/hr) as a prime mover. Combining Cummins latest-generation Modular Common Rail Fuel System (MCRS) with quad-turbocharging, the QSK95 delivers reduced noise and excellent response in a smaller footprint than that of medium-speed diesels traditionally used in locomotives. Integrated Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) after treatment makes the QSK95 capable of achieving the ultra-low- emissions required at Tier 4.
So the Cummins engine used in the Siemens Charger is now certified. Wonder if this certification was needed before the first 2 Chargers could be sent out for testing?

Actual question. Are these things going to have the same insanely bright LED lights as the ACS-64?

Actual question. Are these things going to have the same insanely bright LED lights as the ACS-64?
Won't actually know until we see some night-running of them. But I would presume that they would as it would make sense to keep as many parts as possible standard.

peter

Anyone know where and when the Chargers will start testing?
I would guess that the first two would be sent to pueblo, Colorado for type testing at the fra facility in the area, just like the sprinters did.

Anyone know where and when the Chargers will start testing?
In the February, 2016 meeting viewgraph presentation linked to earlier in this thread, two Chargers were scheduled to go to the FRA test facility, the TTCI, in Pueblo, Colorado in June.
Awesome! I can't wait to see them rolling!

And also, I know they are slightly heavier than the EMD F125's, they generate 4400 HP with 16 cylinders, while the F125's generate 4700 HP with 20 cylinders, but one question: Why is it that the F125's are to have a tractive effort of 315 kN, but the Chargers will only have a tractive effort of 290 kN? This means the Chargers won't be able to accelerate as many cars as the F125's.

One F125 will be able to accelerate 10 or 20 bi-levels up to 125 MPH, but one Charger will only accelerate 5 (4 coaches + 1 cab car) up to 125 MPH. I also read somewhere very long ago that two Chargers would be needed to pull 8 bi-levels.

I wonder if this open to all, photo posted on Facebook by Brightline is reachable by those with no login access to Facebook. I could get to see it from Chrome without logging in to Facebook, so I thought I'd give it a try here.

Can one of you please check and let me know?

Anyway, if you can see a photo by clicking on the link below, it shows the nose structure for the Brightline Chargers taking shape at Siemens, and gives you a clear idea about how different the Brightline units will look.

https://www.facebook.com/GoBrightline/photos/a.1484552041850660.1073741827.1484550728517458/1530454213927109/?type=3&theater

One F125 will be able to accelerate 10 or 20 bi-levels up to 125 MPH, but one Charger will only accelerate 5 (4 coaches + 1 cab car) up to 125 MPH. I also read somewhere very long ago that two Chargers would be needed to pull 8 bi-levels.
That bit about the incredible prowess of the F125 is a bit of EMD fantasy (well actually a claim that even they have not made). A difference of 400HP does not make that much of a difference. Read the whole report on it.in the objection filed by EMD. Lets not keep propagating such myths. ;)

This means the Chargers won't be able to accelerate as many cars as the F125's.
Forgive the physics lesson, but that's what I majored in as an undergraduate.

Of course the Chargers will be able to accelerate as many cars as the F125's - but it'll just take a different time period to do it in.

jb
Right, that's what I mean. And the question is, why were they built that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back