Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has MD said anything about 125 mph operation?

After the MP-36's never got certified over 90, my hopes were set pretty low.

Edit: in an attempt to answer my own question, I started reading old MARC Riders Advisory Council meeting minutes and found that they did test and approve the MP-36s for 100 MPH back in 2013.
They are to operate at 125 MPH on the Penn Line, the one that runs the Northeast Corridor.
Riding it daily, I'm well aware of the Penn Line.

What I asked, is what MD has had to say about if they would do that.

Do you actually have a source for your statement, or is it just more wishful thinking/assumptions?

There the blue and green locomotives
That's a paint scheme for those two DOT's.
I meant like Amtrak California paint and Amtrak Cascades paint, just like what you see on the F59PHI's.
The CalDOT paint scheme *is* the California paint scheme for the Chargers. The WSDOT paint scheme *is* the Cascade paint scheme for the Chargers. If you wish to see some other scheme you will have to create them for yourself using Photoshop. :)
Eh, I suspect most of the California Chargers will have a different paint scheme to go along with the regular Surfliner scheme.

Edit: in an attempt to answer my own question, I started reading old MARC Riders Advisory Council meeting minutes and found that they did test and approve the MP-36s for 100 MPH back in 2013.

The MP-36's are not approved for 100mph on Amtrak territory. They are only approved for 90mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
So for only 90 MPH MARC trains what is going to happen on the Penn line ?. Many delayed MARC trains that will have to wait until Amtrak leaves in front with enough time before next Amtrak ? What happens when there are 2 Amtrak trains too close to fit in a MARC ? Delays of 20 - 35 minutes ? Or MARC could pay for the 2 extra local tracks that would be needed ? Just a few more dollars than buying ACS-64s ?

There is not as much traffic as would cause serious disruption yet. Mixing 90mph commuter trains with 125mph express trains is not as huge a problem (yet) specially at the south end given that it is triple track most of the way between Baltimore and DC. And where it is not, it is slated for triple tracking, and some quad tracking is already planned for. So bottom line not a huge problem in the immediate future.

The MP-36's are not approved for 100mph on Amtrak territory. They are only approved for 90mph.
Either way, it seems to be academic. The few times I've put the GPS on to check it out, they have trouble getting up over 80, theirs rate of acceleration at those speeds is painfully slow.

There is not as much traffic as would cause serious disruption yet. Mixing 90mph commuter trains with 125mph express trains is not as huge a problem (yet) specially at the south end given that it is triple track most of the way between Baltimore and DC. And where it is not, it is slated for triple tracking, and some quad tracking is already planned for. So bottom line not a huge problem in the immediate future.
This is not true, as indicated by Ryan's comment below:

Either way, it seems to be academic. The few times I've put the GPS on to check it out, they have trouble getting up over 80, theirs rate of acceleration at those speeds is painfully slow.
This is huge problem. It is extremely noticeable when a MARC train has diesel. When they have electrics, they tend to stay out of the way. With a diesel, they lag which causes the trains to bunch up. Even in the three track territory particularly when an Amtrak makes BWI and is on the outer track or when the southbound trains are all confined to 3 track during the afternoon rush.

We won't even get into the two track territory.

Hopefully, these new units will be able to master the undulating territory between WAS-BAL while maintaining track speed between the long stops and accelerating quickly between the close stops.

To be fair to Jishnu, the problem is they're not 90 MPH commuters. If MD could conjure those up, I'm sure it would be less of a problem than the sluggish MP36 led trains are these days.

If the locos are to be operated at 90 MPH or 110 MPH on certain trains they'll be operating on, what's the point in building them for 125 MPH?

I'd really like to see some lines that are almost all 125 MPH operation.

The reason is for commonality and for potential increased speed in the lifespan of the locomotive.

The reason is for commonality and for potential increased speed in the lifespan of the locomotive.
Absolutely. With locomotives having an expected lifespan of 20 to 30 years, I would very much hope there will be plenty more opportunity for 125mph running in the 2030s and 2040s than there is today.

Just because the renderings have strobe beacons, are they really going to have strobe beacons?
Ask Siemens, they're the only ones that are going to truly know little details like that at this stage. We only know what is publicly available, which is the same information that you can find out on your own.

For those who have not followed the link, it has a photo of the first completed Charger locomotive. If Siemens is still on the schedule shown in the February viewgraph presentation, two locomotives will go to the Pueblo facility for testing in June. If they get moved to Denver on the CZ, I think we can expect many videos to be posted.

I thought it looked "sleeker" than the GE P42. Turns out, it's almost 2 feet shorter!

Would this be a long-term replacement for the P42s?

I thought it looked "sleeker" than the GE P42. Turns out, it's almost 2 feet shorter!

Would this be a long-term replacement for the P42s?
Considering that there is a 225 unit option for long distance variants, with larger fuel tanks, it is likely iff there is money. (Iff means if and only if for those that have not seen that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back