Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, OK. I am not sure about Maryland. But AAF most certainly will.
But most likely not in the initial segment.
Never in the initial segment. The planned speed on it it 80-90mph. Anything above 100mph is all in the West Palm Beach to Orlando section. That's why I said three years out.

I would really like to see a rendering of this loco in Amtrak Phase V paint.

I'd also like to see them with Amtrak California paint as well as Amtrak Cascades paint.

I'd also like to see them with Amtrak California paint as well as Amtrak Cascades paint.
Those last two are very unlikely, as their colors have already been designed and are much simpler than the existing schemes on the F59PHI locomotives.

Get a copy of Photoshop and go for it! :) Show us what you'd like to see, that is presumably different from the published liveries.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are already there. You have commented on them!

That is not the paint scheme that will be applied to them.

There the blue and green locomotives
That's a paint scheme for those two DOT's.

I meant like Amtrak California paint and Amtrak Cascades paint, just like what you see on the F59PHI's.
The CalDOT paint scheme *is* the California paint scheme for the Chargers. The WSDOT paint scheme *is* the Cascade paint scheme for the Chargers. If you wish to see some other scheme you will have to create them for yourself using Photoshop. :)

The Cascades' colors on the WSDOT Charger would be more obvious if the rendering attached the locomotive to a Talgo train. The Talgos are low, the cars are small, the trains are long, and the livery has a very distinctive earth-tone green color scheme. Apparently the illustrator was given a photo of bi-level cars and told, 'One size fits all, so go with this'.

The new Chargers will match the Talgo livery. (The locos used now look like standard-issue Amtrak locomotives, because they are.)

The refreshed appearance of the Cascades will help to deliver the message that the service has been upgraded (more daily departures, much more reliably on time, a bit faster, and some shiny new equipment).

And many folks here who yearn for matching consists on Amtrak's trains will love the consistent look of the new Cascades consists.

Are the Chargers going to have cooling fans on the roof like you see on the Genesis locos?

Also, I know a majority of them will have 3rd Gen K5LA's, but does anyone know if any of them will get equipped with a different horn?

The Cascades' colors on the WSDOT Charger would be more obvious if the rendering attached the locomotive to a Talgo train. The Talgos are low, the cars are small, the trains are long, and the livery has a very distinctive earth-tone green color scheme. Apparently the illustrator was given a photo of bi-level cars and told, 'One size fits all, so go with this'.

The new Chargers will match the Talgo livery. (The locos used now look like standard-issue Amtrak locomotives, because they are.)

The refreshed appearance of the Cascades will help to deliver the message that the service has been upgraded (more daily departures, much more reliably on time, a bit faster, and some shiny new equipment).

And many folks here who yearn for matching consists on Amtrak's trains will love the consistent look of the new Cascades consists.
Yeah, it really does not cost that much to re-vynil a piece of equipment these days. My old company HP loves it, since they get to provide the ink and printers to print out the patterns on the vinyl :)

Has MD said anything about 125 mph operation?

After the MP-36's never got certified over 90, my hopes were set pretty low.

Edit: in an attempt to answer my own question, I started reading old MARC Riders Advisory Council meeting minutes and found that they did test and approve the MP-36s for 100 MPH back in 2013.
They are to operate at 125 MPH on the Penn Line, the one that runs the Northeast Corridor.

Are the Chargers going to have cooling fans on the roof like you see on the Genesis locos?

Also, I know a majority of them will have 3rd Gen K5LA's, but does anyone know if any of them will get equipped with a different horn?
They will most likely have K5LAs. It's unlikely they will pull an Amtrak and have some new horn developed like the P01235 was. Then again, weird stuff happens.

They will most likely have K5LAs. It's unlikely they will pull an Amtrak and have some new horn developed like the P01235 was. Then again, weird stuff happens.
It'd definitely sound nice with a New Cast P5A like the ones you hear on Metra! As a matter of fact, P horns actually use less air than K horns.

They don't care about the air consumption of the horn, as their compressors have such huge capacity for their braking system. The horn is so small as to be insignificant.

Don't forget the Main Reservoir which keeps many things running on the train as well...

I really am surprised that the Chargers are going to be fitted with strobe beacons! I never thought anymore locos would come from the factory with strobes again! And if they are no longer a requirement by FRA, I wonder why the Chargers are getting them?

An optional feature is a surprise to you? :/

Well, I was surprised to see a newer loco come from the factory with strobe beacons, not really what you see on locos nowadays. I also thought ditch lights were more maintainable than strobes. And also, you know what else I'd be surprised to see the Chargers with?

Well, I was surprised to see a newer loco come from the factory with strobe beacons, not really what you see on locos nowadays. I also thought ditch lights were more maintainable than strobes. And also, you know what else I'd be surprised to see the Chargers with?
Please answer your own question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back