Amtrak sleeper prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVasi

Train Attendant
I have ridden Amtrak for many years ...but now when i see a 1, 000 plus for a full bedroom, it makes me wonder what the heck is going on???

What has happened is that in spite of economy being slow and all the talks of austerity, there are people in this country who have LOTS of money to spend on vacations (read: train travel) and Amtrak only has a limited number of sleepers available so they have been hiking the prices as high as someone would possibly buy it.

People are paying those fares. (Except those of us using AGR to "pay"!
rolleyes.gif
) After all, would you pay $15-20 K to fly US-Asia in First Class? I would not, but many do every day!
ohmy.gif

I'm booking my grandparents on the Canadian which is routinely over $1,000. Actually it'll be nearly $2,000 for them a piece. They are willing to pay it because they can afford it, and it's a special trip for them. I'm just thankful, Amtrak is more reasonable in their prices for a guy like me!

Bedrooms (formerly delux bedrooms) have been at or near $1000 for awhile now, at least in the higher buckets.

Supply and demand as Amtrak Blue pointeout. If they can get $1000 for it, why should they charge less? Especially since they need every penny they can get.

Just last year, when I was traveling on the California Zephyr, the price for a bedroom was very high. We were going from Emeryville to Denver, on the less popular half of the route. Even on the less popular portion, the price was still about $800, and the train was not even that full. But you know what? We were willing to pay it, and my grandma thought it was money well spent.

The recent increases in air fares also makes it less of a bump-up in price between flying and going in a sleeper. That may be making more people consider Amtrak. And, we all know which mode of transportation is more pleasant. :)

Some airlines have also pulled out or reduced service (thus increasing fares)in smaller markets. Greyhound has scaled back service in recent years, too.

I know that from CHI to SEA, the high bedroom bucket was pushing $1000 on the Builder 10 years ago.

Bedrooms (formerly delux bedrooms) have been at or near $1000 for awhile now, at least in the higher buckets.

Supply and demand as Amtrak Blue pointeout. If they can get $1000 for it, why should they charge less? Especially since they need every penny they can get.
If your travel dates are flexible the Canadian regularly has specials that are as much as 70% off the regular price.

It dosen't matter if the Bedrooms have a $1000 supplement. The bedrooms still keep getting sold out. They have no reason to charge $500 if they can squeeze out $1000. They might even squeeze out $1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back