Amtrak State Fact Page

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you've got me curious what they're spending so much money for in Hamel, MN. I used to drive through there almost daily, and I can't imagine anything in Hamel that they would need to spend nearly $4 million on.

Postage and other relating to Guest Rewards, perhaps?

Mississippi

2003 Ridership: 77,717

2004 Ridership: 83,526

The percentage increase of 2004 over 2003 is? <_<

Thanks-

BNSF_1088 said:
RichBohlman said:
Mississippi
2003 Ridership:  77,717

2004 Ridership:  83,526

The percentage increase of 2004 over 2003 is?   <_<

Thanks-
I come up with %2 :)
Thats strange. I come up with 7.5% (7.47%, actually). :unsure:

Yeah, it is 7.47%, Surprised your calculator is so messed up.

83526-77717=5809 (as you said matt)

5809/77717=.074

New Jersey:

2003- 3,794,479

2004- 3,855,311

1.6% Increase, not as impressive, but still the right direction. It impresses me that Princeton Junction (#9) handled more passengers than Baltimore, Maryland (#10). (Though its likely ridership will decrease slightly when NJT takes over the clockers in 2006)

Or at least there is good money in making the equipment to do the work . . .

Thanks for the info.

Oklahoma (Heartland Flyer) ridership is up 8.4% in 2004 (I factored in the Gainsville, TX stop, but not FTW as you can't dicern that from the Eagle) I thought it was interesting that Amtrak spent about $700,000 in goods and services in OK and employed four people making 231,000 total. This state has said that they are willing to fund half of the Flyer's required budget next year if Amtrak kicks in the rest, to which Amtrak says no way. Funny they never mention how much money Amtrak puts into the state and factor that into the equation. Oklahoma is screwed up though, so I guess that's all you need to know. Imagine the ridership boost if it went to Tulsa or Wichita!

bmlock said:
Oklahoma (Heartland Flyer) ridership is up 8.4% in 2004 (I factored in the Gainsville, TX stop, but not FTW as you can't dicern that from the Eagle)  I thought it was interesting that Amtrak spent about $700,000 in goods and services in OK and employed four people making 231,000 total.  This state has said that they are willing to fund half of the Flyer's required budget next year if Amtrak kicks in the rest, to which Amtrak says no way.  Funny they never mention how much money Amtrak puts into the state and factor that into the equation.  Oklahoma is screwed up though, so I guess that's all you need to know.  Imagine the ridership boost if it went to Tulsa or Wichita!
Amtrak can't pay a dime for a State supported train. the State has to pay 100% for any service of that train which includes Ticket Agents Conductors engineers pay Food car service anything for that Train.It use to be that the State paid 80% and the Feds paid 20% but thanks to Bush and his Admin States have to pay the full tab on State supported trains.

What's a little more interesting is that the funding demand in comming from a Democratic Governor Brad Henry. This state seems a bit backwards in that republicans tend to support rail more than dems, but the republican lack the drive to set up a successful route. Texas plays a big part also, as they contribute $0 to the Flyer and they get the biggest benefit. It obvious that the Flyer needs to stretch north and connect to the Chief or to Kansas City or St Louis, but Texas is afraid this will hurt their train the Eagle. Supposedly there was a deal cut between senators to ensure this entension never happens.

bmlock said:
What's a little more interesting is that the funding demand in comming from a Democratic Governor Brad Henry. This state seems a bit backwards in that republicans tend to support rail more than dems, but the republican lack the drive to set up a successful route. Texas plays a big part also, as they contribute $0 to the Flyer and they get the biggest benefit. It obvious that the Flyer needs to stretch north and connect to the Chief or to Kansas City or St Louis, but Texas is afraid this will hurt their train the Eagle. Supposedly there was a deal cut between senators to ensure this entension never happens.
I agree

In my opinion, they should change the route of the Flyer and run it on BNSF on a westerly arc down to FTW with stops in Chickasha, OK, Lawton, OK, Wichita Falls, TX, Decatur, TX, and FTW. Lawton and Wichita Falls are major military training bases which would generate a lot of ridership. Altus AFB where I am at is also a big training base and trainees spend about $80 for a shuttle van to take them to the bus station in Lawton which is 45min west of here. Air Force basic training is in San Antonio and thus it would be a great cost savings for the military to transfer students by train from SAS to Wichita Falls and Altus.

Back