Amtrak Station in Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Gingee

As a lot of you know, we will be taking the Empire into Seattle. I see that it is on the outskirts of downtown. I have been told that once you are in the downtown area, transportation is free. Does anyone know how far the train station is to the downtown area?

I'm not aware of free transportation in downtown Seattle except perhaps your feet. The Amtrak station is on King Street next to the stadium. This is a short walk (about 5 blocks) to Pioneer Square.

My wife and I walked from King Street Station down to the waterfront for lunch at Ivers, back up to Pike Place Market and then back to the station. A brisk walk, but we did all that in about 3 hours. There is a streetcar that runs up and down the waterfront, but you have to pay to ride it.

Guest_Gingee said:
As a lot of you know, we will be taking the Empire into Seattle.  I see that it is on the outskirts of downtown.  I have been told that once you are in the downtown area, transportation is free.  Does anyone know how far the train station is to the downtown area?
Seattle King Street Station is on the south edge of Downtown Seattle in the Pioneer Square district. The Seattle Metro buses are free between 6am and 7pm within the downtown area including King Street Station (just across Jackson Street to be exact). You just hop on and ride.

See the Seattle Metro page here.

Thanks PRR60. I knew I saw free transportation somewhere. Our hotel is right outside the downtown boundaries. We plan to walk to the downtown once we are there but when we get off the train, I doubt we want to carry all our luggage on the busses.

MrFSS said:
There is a streetcar that runs up and down the waterfront, but you have to pay to ride it.
Actually, the streetcar is out of service for a while. There is a replacement bus that runs more or less where the streetcar used to, and the bus is free.

I believe the streetcar line along the waterfront in Seattle is under repair and not being used for at least a year. Does anyone know if busses are running as a substitute?

Guest_Dan A said:
I believe the streetcar line along the waterfront in Seattle is under repair and not being used for at least a year. Does anyone know if busses are running as a substitute?
I think I just answered that question in the message above yours.

Look up the Metro Bus system in Seattle. The downtown area is a ride free zone. The bus tunnel at Union Station (International Dist)across the street from King Street Station is closed while they install light rail. The trolly is also out of service while they fix the Alaska Way Viaduct. Easiest thing to do is get a cab from the Station to where your going...unless you want to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back