Amtrak Station to Hotel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I'm going to be doing Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA, Sunset from LA to New Orleans, and CONO from New Orleans to Chicago in April.

I'll be staying 2 nights each in Seattle, LA, and New Orleans.

I'll be staying right next to the station in Seattle (at the Embassy Suites by Hilton), so no problem.

In LA, I have reservations at the Miyako Hotel which is about .7 miles south of Amtrak station just off of Almeida Street; scheduled arrival in LA is 9pm. I have no problem with the walk (I hike in the mountains quite a bit). I'm more concerned over whether the area is safe for a walk late in the evening. If not, are taxis readily available at the station?

IN New Orleans, I have reservations at Place D'Armes which is 1.5 miles Northeast from the station just off Bourbon Street, scheduled arrival in NO is 9:40pm. Same questions about safety walking there and taxi availability from station. Again, I wouldn't mind walking along Bourbon Street for the first time to the hotel. I just have a Travelpro 25" roller and my daypack.

Any comments on the hotel choice would be welcome as well; I can change those reservations without any cost.

I'm going to be doing Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA, Sunset from LA to New Orleans, and CONO from New Orleans to Chicago in April.

I'll be staying right next to the station in Seattle (at the Embassy Suites by Hilton), so no problem.

In LA, I have reservations at the Miyako Hotel which is about .7 miles south of Amtrak station just off of Almeida Street; scheduled arrival in LA is 9pm. I have no problem with the walk (I hike in the mountains quite a bit). I'm more concerned over whether the area is safe for a walk late in the evening. If not, are taxis readily available at the station?

IN New Orleans, I have reservations at Place D'Armes which is 1.5 miles Northeast from the station just off Bourbon Street, scheduled arrival in NO is 9:40pm. Same questions about safety walking there and taxi availability from station. Again, I wouldn't mind walking along Bourbon Street for the first time to the hotel. I just have a Travelpro 25" roller and my daypack.

Any comments on the hotel choice would be welcome as well; I can change those reservations without any cost.
At the Starlight's arrival time, I'd take a taxi in LA.

I actually stayed at Place d'Arms in New Orleans on an Amtrak trip. I took a cab. If you walk, I'd recommend staying on Canal then walking down Royal (Bourbon can be kind of a sh*show, crowded and rowdy). I wouldn't walk Rampart then down into the Quarter. Also, be aware that NO's sidewalks can be really rough.

I really liked Place d'Arms. Good location, just far enough off Bourbon for a quiet place to sleep and very nice and comfortable.

I've stayed at the Miyako a few times and never had a problem walking there from LAUS and back again. Walking to nearby restaurants at night felt alright but this was before the pandemic so things might have changed since then. If you're with someone remain observant and if you're alone walk with purpose. I think the biggest threat for guys is navigating unfamiliar areas while intoxicated but if you're alert and stick to main roads you should be fine.

Taxis and Uber were plentiful in New Orleans when we were last there in 2019 but that was before the pandemic. I would be interested in learning what the current situation is.

It seems to me that taxi companies in many places have fallen on hard times due to the pandemic and competition from Uber and Lyft. I recently spent a few days in Lexington, Kentucky. There were no taxis at the airport that I could see and none downtown but Uber was plentiful and we used it extensively. Is our experience common? I don't know since I have rarely travelled in the last couple of years but my millennial kids tell me this is the new norm.

Well, my LA advice is old and based on my living in the LA area until 1990.

Personally, I'd avoid Alameda south of the 101 freeway at night. Again, that is based on very outdated personal knowledge. For myself, I wouldn't and won't go against my own instincts. Going against one's own instincts is almost always a bad idea. However, for you, without outdated experience, following the advice of other posters is a very reasonable choice. For me, I either walk to the Metro Plaza in LA or take the Red Line subway or taxi to hotels in the heart of downtown like the Biltmore, Bonaventure, Sheraton Grand. I tend to select LA hotels based on proximity to the Pershing Square or 7th & Flower subway stations.

Nice trip! I agree with those who suggest taking a Ride Share in LA, and in New Orleans Taxis are out front of Union Station with a " Starter" directing you to the Taxi( tips are customary). Be aware the Meters aren't used, it's a flat rate and $10-$15 is the usual Fare to Hotels downtown.

I've stayed @ the Place D' Armes, it's my favorite Hotel in New Orleans😍.( tip: ask for a Room with Windows, the ones on the First Floor around the Courtyard are like a Vault, quiet and comfortable, but Dark.)

When you leave to catch the CONO, it's an easy walk in daylight to Union Station.

It will be my first time in LA, Seattle, and New Orleans.

I got a room with a balcony at Place D'Armes, so I'm good there. Glad to hear that people like this hotel.

I've never used an UBER/Lyft before, yeah, I'm behind the times, I'll have to look into signing up for their services. I'm a bit worried they won't be excited about a fare that is less than a mile in LA.

New Orleans Rampart Streetcar ran from Union Terminal to the French Quarter but is out of service. The Canal St Streetcar seems to be a bit of a walk from the Station but is an alternative to walking all the way at night.
"Due to the Hard Rock Hotel collapse, there is no streetcar service on N. Rampart or St. Claude. Streetcar service is being provided to UPT via Loyola Ave by the 47 - Canal/Cemeteries Streetcar."

As you say, Seattle is no problem when you stay at the Embassy Suites. Right outside the station, it's a comfortable hotel with a great restaurant. My only comment is to recommend a water-view room, because some of the rooms just have a view of the building next door a few feet away.

It will be my first time in LA, Seattle, and New Orleans.

I got a room with a balcony at Place D'Armes, so I'm good there. Glad to hear that people like this hotel.

I've never used an UBER/Lyft before, yeah, I'm behind the times, I'll have to look into signing up for their services. I'm a bit worried they won't be excited about a fare that is less than a mile in LA.
I've walked to a hotel between the Miyako and Union Station, but it was off of Train 3 in the morning. I've stayed at the Miyako (on a deal) and took a taxi from Union Station. The cab driver was annoyed. It was a meter fare. I walked back, but that was in the morning, also.

As the area around the Miyako was busy at night, I wouldn't feel guilty about the short cab ride because there should be opportunities for another fare there, subject to the pandemic.

2016 view from the Miyako...

P1040443.JPG

P1040414.JPG

I've felt reasonably safe walking from Los Angeles' and New Orleans' stations in the past, but since few of us have walked these areas recently it might make sense to check the local police blotter and query Google maps for current closing times. A bustling street with open stores and restaurants is a different beast from a quiet dead zone. Cabs can usually be found at major stations and if there are not enough one can radio others.

Everyone has a different comfort level about these matters. I have walked to and from the New Orleans station several times in the daytime without any problem. I would not be comfortable walking to or from there at night and would use a cab or Uber.

Have stayed in NOL twice during the last few months... stayed at the Marriot Fairfield Inn and Suites each time with Marriot points... cabs range from $12 to $15 each way. Didn't feel safe walking late night... many panhandlers. The Fairfield is 'fair' and with many charge card mistakes made each of the two times... always a trainee at check in - very slow.

I think I am similar to Todd in outlook, never used Uber, and feel guilty about giving a taxi a short fare. I guess with Uber, they flit from job to job, so can accommodate a small run too, rather than waiting on a rank for fares?
I loved all the hustle and bustle of Royal Street and Bourbon at night myself. I think maybe I have been too blasé in the past about personal safety, but never felt worried by much, anywhere. I think now as I approach 70, my confidence in my judgement is dropping a little.
I guess one can always give a decent "tip" to compensate for a short taxi fare.
Are there no bus services in LA or NOL between the points mentioned?
(What is a bus, I hear you ask... :D)

Didn't feel safe walking late night... many panhandlers.
Panhandlers may be annoying but their presence does no favors for muggers and vice versa.

I think now as I approach 70, my confidence in my judgement is dropping a little.
All of my advice above assumes we're talking about a working age male familiar with city life. Outside of that group my advice may not apply.

Last edited:
All of my advice above assumes we're talking about a working age male familiar with city life. Outside of that group my advice may not apply.
Don't worry, I won't hold you responsible if I get into trouble. I am not even much good at taking my own advice... :D

abc1.JPGabc2.JPG

abc3.JPG

Last edited:
My last trip to NO was pre-COVID. We arrived on the Crescent, which was late. We got into Nawlins after 11pm. Lots of taxis available, but I have gotten used to using Uber and had a ride to my hotel within 10 minutes. Hotel was only about a mile and a half from the train station, but I wouldn't walk that late at night.

Love the Place d‘Armes; stayed there many times! Reasonably priced! I could kick myself on booking another hotel instead of Embassy Suites for my March country round trip! Poor research on my part! Have fun & safe travels!

That's a very good point. I'll admit my perspective has changed some from when that described me to now when being a senior with luggage late at night in any major city might trigger a more common-sense approach.

I frequently walk in the general area of the Miyako Hotel at night, and I always feel safe -- with the caveat that I'm a 40-something white male who's over 6 feet and walks fairly quickly. (You may encounter panhandlers or unhoused people along the walk, but the latter should leave you alone, and the former have always accepted "sorry, no" as a response from me.)

If you're curious, I'm there walking because I play in a weekly pinball league at a bar in the Arts District, and I'm walking to or from my parked car.

I found the Miyako to be a reasonable limited service hotel but does anyone know of a proper full-service Japanese hotel in the greater LA area? Something near a CoCo Ichibanya? Seems like the kind of thing that would appeal to the Southern California market but I cannot remember ever seeing one.

I found the Miyako to be a reasonable limited service hotel but does anyone know of a proper full-service Japanese hotel in the greater LA area? Something near a CoCo Ichibanya? Seems like the kind of thing that would appeal to the Southern California market but I cannot remember ever seeing one.
Check out the Hollywood Hills Hotel in Northwest Hollywood Chris.

I haven't stayed there, but a friend did, and it gets Excellent Reviews and @ $159 a Night, seems like a bargain for what's on offer!

In years past I would have thought nothing of it in LA, but the homeless encampment is huge and dramatic. In August, I walked it in daylight, and it was intimidating. A large dagger was laying on the sidewalk. In LA, definitely don’t walk at night.

Back