Amtrak Status Maps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNW

Service Attendant
Planning a trip to New 0rleans aboard the City of New Orleans. When trying to use the status maps with the dixielandsoftware I find that it works fine on my PC but not on my ipad which of course travels with me. Does anyone know why this would be so?

I use it on my Mac and it's fine there, but when I tried it on my iPhone it didn't. It might be the script it runs on?

I've tried using it on my dad's iPhone, but it only shows the map for a few seconds before the screen goes blank.

Still, the few seconds is enough for me to click on a train number and pull up the transcript. That page works fine on the iPhone.

John Bobinyec, the programmer who created the Status Maps, is a member here, and he is always receptive to feedback about how to improve the maps or make them work on a wider range of devices. He can be reached at jgb(at)dbd01.com

Mark

I've tried using it on my dad's iPhone, but it only shows the map for a few seconds before the screen goes blank.

Still, the few seconds is enough for me to click on a train number and pull up the transcript. That page works fine on the iPhone.
On my iPhone, the screen also goes blank after displaying the map for a second or two. But then, hit the Back arrow, and you see the map again, for as long as you want.

I noticed that while using my iPad and iTouch recently - I did some research and those Apple products do not play nice with websites that use Flash.

I just was playing around after seeing someone say something about scripts. I turned OFF Java Scrip and now it stays put. It still won't let you mouse over for the brief summation but it will let you pull up the entire schedule. Guess it will do for the trip I have planned. I did email John as suggested. Also utilized the text message option someone wrote about a year or so ago.

I noticed that while using my iPad and iTouch recently - I did some research and those Apple products do not play nice with websites that use Flash.
There is not a single Apple product that plays nice with Flash. In fact both the iPhone and the iPad are barred from ever running flash in any form at any time. It's some sort of long running pissing contest between Apple and Adobe over who can be the biggest douche of them all. And I say this as a user of several flash websites and an owner of multiple generations of iPhones and Macbook Pros.

Okay - I'm here. I'm sorry to hear that Apple products don't play well with JavaScript. Things should work well enough if you disable it. It will disable a couple of things, such as the download counter and the ability to expand the two (+) symbols yielding the ads and the list of archives for the trains on that map.

By the way, if JavaScript is disabled, what is this "summary" that's disabled on the map? Moving the mouse over the train number to show the latest train time will still work. Moving the mouse over the navigation inset map will not illuminate the sections in green, but clicking on a section to get to another map will still work.

I don't use Flash or anything like it.

My intent, of course, is to have the maps fully functional on all machines. Unfortunately, I don't have any Apple products or any smart phones, so I can't work out the kinks that might show up on those machines.

For a start, I do have access to a Mac, but I need to know the name of the browser that the ipad uses (anyone?). If it happens to be the default on the Mac that I have access to, maybe I can replicate the problem there.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

[email protected]

Amtrak Status Maps

I just found out that the original poster has Safari on the ipad. Safari is on the Mac that I have access to, so I can try that out. In the meantime, I can advise that Firefox on the Mac works okay. I don't know if you have the ability to load it onto an ipad, though.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

You can sign up for a developer account with apple that will give you a virtual ipad or iphone to test your apps on. You can do the same thing with Android.

You could charge 99 cents for the app and make some ok money on it.

I just found out that the original poster has Safari on the ipad. Safari is on the Mac that I have access to, so I can try that out. In the meantime, I can advise that Firefox on the Mac works okay. I don't know if you have the ability to load it onto an ipad, though.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec
I use Safari and Firefox on my MacBook Pro, and works fine. Just the Safari on my iPhone.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec
I use Safari and Firefox on my MacBook Pro, and works fine. Just the Safari on my iPhone.
I will repeat my previous statement. After the screen "goes blank," touch the back arrow (at the lower left corner of the screen). The map will display again and not disappear.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec
I will repeat my previous statement. After the screen "goes blank," touch the back arrow (at the lower left corner of the screen). The map will display again and not disappear.
Sorry, I should of said not on my iPhone.. I just tried it and it says "301PermMove"

When I do that a very small message saying "301permmove" appears ....no idea what that means.

When I do that a very small message saying "301permmove" appears ....no idea what that means.
Hmm. It works for me. The only thing I can think of is, are you running the latest iOS update, iOS 4.3? Supposedly it improved JavaScript performance. Maybe this problem is JavaScript related.

Do you have an ipad? I am running 4.2.1 and I do think it is java related..... I may upgrade although haven't heard about the upgrade til now.

I am planning on purchasing the new iPad 2 before my trip in June.... since I am new to Amtrak and to iPads ... which apps are a MUST to have for my trip... I take it that this Amtrak Status Maps is ONE :giggle: ANY other MUST HAVE APPS? Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back