Amtrak Status Maps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried using it on my dad's iPhone, but it only shows the map for a few seconds before the screen goes blank.

Still, the few seconds is enough for me to click on a train number and pull up the transcript. That page works fine on the iPhone.
On my iPhone, the screen also goes blank after displaying the map for a second or two. But then, hit the Back arrow, and you see the map again, for as long as you want.
This same issue referenced by GlobalistPotato happened to me last summer on my iPhone on Texas Eagle FtW to Chicago. I just checked again, and issue repeated, i.e., map displays briefly - then screen blanks. Still, I can pull up the archivefinder display for Arrival-Departure log.

So I just tried using D T Nelson's workaround, to no avail. However,,,when I keep my thumbs on the iPhone screen it displays the map to view, to enlarge, to move around. But as soon as thumbs are moved off, the blank page issue repeats. Sort of like a video game,,,have to be quick on the thumbs,,,

Side note: Last summer, the Status Maps URL was still the TrainWeb link page. That is all. Hope this helps JohnB troubleshoot.

The site got moved to dixielandsoftware, recently.

I'm still trying to debug the iphone/ipad problems. If someone would care to try to help me, try this:

1) Go to the main page http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps

Any problems here? I would expect not. Move the mouse over to the Midwest map and select it.

2) I picked the Midwest map because it's little, and you probably will not have had to have scrolled on it.

Any problems?

3) Scroll around on this map - any problems now?

I'm hoping to go to NC State (University) library next week to get my hands on an ipad to see if I can nail this down.

Thanks,

JB

Amtrak Status Maps

JB,

Same thing in that area. I even tried all of the other areas, and same error page "301PermMove".

I also had the update on the phone a few days ago.

It works for me as D T Nelson descibed. Page shows as it is loading, but disappears as soon as the load is complete. But if I press "back" the map shows up normally and I can scroll and tap on each train to get it's status.

It works for me as D T Nelson descibed. Page shows as it is loading, but disappears as soon as the load is complete. But if I press "back" the map shows up normally and I can scroll and tap on each train to get it's status.
Ryan, is this on your iPhone or iPad?

I tried working things out at the NCSU library with a checked-out iPad. Unfortunately, this is going to take quite a while, and working with a checked-out iPad is problematical (it's a strange little machine).

What I need is one of you to step forward as a volunteer to help me work on this to get iPads able to work with the maps.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Currently using your iPad with JavaScript enabled, when you display one of the maps, it displays briefly and then the screen goes blank.

2. You'll need to try out test maps (I'll need to work out the test pages, with specific instructions) and report the results back to me.

3. You'll need patience. We'll go back and forth with test after test many times.

Interested? Please send me an email.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

jgb - at - dbd01.com

Amtrak Status Maps

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan, is this on your iPhone or iPad?
Sorry, iPhone 4.

I'd be willing to help if someone with an iPhone that's seeing the same symptoms would be useful.

I now have an iPad volunteer. It seems that the problem occurs on iPhones as well, so I'll need someone to contact me about that. In fact, I should also like to hear from owners of any mobile device which can display the maps, but doesn't.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

jgb - at - dbd01.com

Amtrak Status Maps

Thanks to my iPad and iPhone volunteers for helping me work through the problem.

The problem was essentially that the Safari browser on some iPads and iPhones worked a little differently than other browsers. After they would display a map they would blank out the screen. The temporary solution for them was to disable JavaScript. That's all fixed now.

Unfortunately, the way the maps are delivered had to be changed. This necessitated an address change for the maps. The main page is still http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps . You can still get to the individual maps from there. If you happen to go directly to the maps without going through the main page, you'll find out that the addresses have changed. You can bookmark the new address instead.

One other thing changed. If you had made a selection for one of the options (color schemes or navigation aids) you'll need to reselect them.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

The good news is that the new delivery method is general in nature so we shouldn't have any other similar problems with other browsers or mobile devices.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

Amtrak Status Maps

I just tried it too. Works great. Surely didn't expect to have such a great outcome in so short a time. Thank you for your time and effort.

Just tried it on my iPhone, and it works!!

I want to say a BIG Thank you for listening to us, and going out of your way for helping us! Now when we do take our trip in July, I am ready! :)

Thanks again John!

Thank you John for all your hard work and trouble to get this worked out. I was planning to purchase an iPad for my trip in June but hesitated once I read that I may not be able to use this tracking tool. I am glad to know this has been fixed and I will follow thru with my purchase THANKS AGAIN ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back