Amtrak stoped in tunnel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny story actually. About a year ago I took the Acela Express from Baltimore to New York. We were running right on time untill about half way when I noticed a trail of smoke from the lead unit. We stopped directly in the middle of the corridor, on the middle track for about an hour untill I heard over my scanner that the Engine lost its breaks. We waited for about another half hour untill I looked out my window and saw,on the adjacent track, an Acela Regional pulling up very slowly. The passengers were then directed to the doors and we walked, via a wheel chair lift, directly onto the other train. Quite a cool experience! but we arrived 1 hour and 30 minutes late into New York.

P40Power said:
Sounds like another failure of an Acela Express, uggh what else is new?
Well, what else do you expect, an Acela Express with a good reputation? <_< :lol: :D :p <_<

Well it would be nice to hear sometime good news about that train, maybe like they finally got them to run reliably. Well at least alot of people seem to love riding them for the most part. But That would be the last time Id ride the express if I got stranded in an eerie Balitmore tunnel and have to be transfered to a Regional or something like that! Id stick to good ol Amfleets hauled by good ol AEM-7s. They might not be as sleek or as spacious and comfortable as an Acela Express. But they probably have a better chance of not failing en route! It seems that conventional trains also have a better time keeping record then the Expresses on the corridor!

Viewliner said:
All I can say is long live the Metroliner! :D
Sadly the Metroliner won't live forever, especially since they've already redeployed half the fleet to other areas.

The Metroliner has lived longer than anyone expected, especially since all 20 Acela Express trainsets are now on Amtrak's property.

I say long live the metroliners too! I love the name Metroliner, much better sounding then Acela Express . . . yuck!

I think Amtrak should do away with the Regionals (Boston to Washington to Newport News) and just make them all Metroliners. Well enough of dreaming. As long as Gunn is in charge Metroliner won't be departing anytime soon.

Amfleet said:
I think Amtrak should do away with the Regionals (Boston to Washington to Newport News) and just make them all Metroliners. Well enough of dreaming. As long as Gunn is in charge Metroliner won't be departing anytime soon.
Thats good, but I think some Northeast Direct (yes, NortheastDirect with maybe individual train names) should remain. I think maybe a few New England Metroliners Could be revived though. Metroliner should stay as a step between Acela and NortheastDirect.

Viewliner said:
I think maybe a few New England Metroliners Could be revived though. Metroliner should stay as a step between Acela and NortheastDirect.
You can't revive something that never existed before. :(

That's not to say that it probably would be a nice idea to have something like a Metroliner in between the high-end Acela's and the low-end Regionals, just like we do south of NY. But again if you are reviving something that means that it used to exist and then ceased to exist. Metroliner's never ran north of NY in their 30 + year history, since there was no catenary past New Haven.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I think maybe a few New England Metroliners Could be revived though.   Metroliner should stay as a step between Acela and NortheastDirect.
You can't revive something that never existed before. :(

That's not to say that it probably would be a nice idea to have something like a Metroliner in between the high-end Acela's and the low-end Regionals, just like we do south of NY. But again if you are reviving something that means that it used to exist and then ceased to exist. Metroliner's never ran north of NY in their 30 + year history, since there was no catenary past New Haven.
Alan, while you are correct Metroliners never ran to Boston, Amtrak did run a few north to New Haven.

Maybe all the trains that run from Boston and New York to Virginia should have seperate names. Their services could be similar to that of the Vermonter, Adirondack, and Carolinian. Right now things seem fine though.

I recall reading somewhere that in the 70s when Amtrak ran the original Metroliners up to New Haven, they would connect with an UA Turbo Train to continue up to Boston making an express route over the entire corridor. This couldnt have lasted too long though, the UA Turbos had a ton of problems and were retired in 76 or 77.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back