Amtrak Survey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin L.

Service Attendant
On the back of my ticket, it says I can go to www.amtraksurvey.com to enter into a contest for 500 bucks in free travel, at the small price of filling out a survey.

The web site says that I'll have to complete a survey consisting of several questions. Sounds easy. :)

Question one asks me for my train number, so I enter it.

Once I enter the number and submit it, the survey abruptly ends, and takes me to a page thanking me "for my interest", and recommending that I go to amtrak.com to book another trip.

What is up with this survey program? It didn't get any information from me, and it didn't explain why I was only offered one of my "several questions". :huh:

This is not cool--I want my chance to be one of ten to win $500 in free travel! :angry:

On the back of my ticket, it says I can go to www.amtraksurvey.com to enter into a contest for 500 bucks in free travel, at the small price of filling out a survey.
The web site says that I'll have to complete a survey consisting of several questions. Sounds easy. :)

Once I enter the number and submit it, the survey abruptly ends, and takes me to a page thanking me "for my interest", and recommending that I go to amtrak.com to book another trip.

What is up with this survey program? It didn't get any information from me, and it didn't explain why I was only offered one of my "several questions". :huh:

This is not cool--I want my chance to be one of ten to win $500 in free travel! :angry:
I don't think what happened to you is not uncommon. It happened to me too last July. IIRC I even tried calling it in but to no avail. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think what happened to you is not uncommon. It happened to me too last July. IIRC I even tried calling it in but to no avail. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
I tried also when I got back from my trip last month and didn't even get as far as you did, pretty much a loop back and forth between two sites that were basically useless.

Bob

i have never had a problem with the surveys... are you doing it with THREE days of the ticket?

I took the survey after my last trip. I tried my outbound train first, which had been more than 3 days before, and the program ended as your try did. Then I did it for my return trip, which was just a day old and it worked.

I took the 3:05 pm train on Friday, and tried to do the survey Sunday night. I don't think that's 3 days, but next time I'll make sure to do the survey the day of the trip. I thought it'd tell me if I didn't qualify, but I take it I was wrong on that.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, you must be within three days or you go no where with the survey.
You must also live in the US - so us foreigners can't get our grubby mits on those prize dollars :lol:

It's a standard thing of prize draws, but I don't think you can just submit the survery part (and not enter the draw) to leave your feedback about the trip.

I took the 3:05 pm train on Friday, and tried to do the survey Sunday night. I don't think that's 3 days, but next time I'll make sure to do the survey the day of the trip. I thought it'd tell me if I didn't qualify, but I take it I was wrong on that.
Thanks for the input.
Well that should have worked then. Are you sure that you entered the correct date of your trip?

And it's not too late to try again, you have until tonight to try again.

And no, they aren't real good at telling you why you didn't get to the survey when there is an issue.

You must also live in the US - so us foreigners can't get our grubby mits on those prize dollars :lol:

It's a standard thing of prize draws, but I don't think you can just submit the survery part (and not enter the draw) to leave your feedback about the trip.

Wondering if anyone knows of someone who has actually won the $500 prize drawings?

Wondering if anyone knows of someone who has actually won the $500 prize drawings?
Winning the drawing would be quite a feat as they only have 1 drawing a month for every Amtrak traveler on all the trains. Now I know not everyone fills out the survey for every trip. However, your odds are quite low but at least for me I don't fill out the survey in hopes of winning free travel (Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted to score $500 in Amtrak travel) I take the survey to try and provide my feedback to Amtrak about there service and ways to improve it.

oh I tried within three days of the Cardinal disaster, maybe they just didn't want to hear it anymore

how do you take the survey on a multi day trip ???

Bob

I did it for my EB trip and it worked perfectly. I didn't win anything, but still. I filled everything out.

oh I tried within three days of the Cardinal disaster, maybe they just didn't want to hear it anymore

Bob
The Three Days starts on the last day of travel but when I went cross country I took my part about my good experience on the cardinal :ph34r: during my layover in Chicago before getting on the CZ other wise I dont think I would have been able to take that part of the survey.

I just tried the survey again. It does not even ask me for a date. The first thing it asks for is my ticket number, and then it boots me out.

In fact, entering even random numbers into the box yields the same result :(

I just tried the survey again. It does not even ask me for a date. The first thing it asks for is my ticket number, and then it boots me out.
Could it be that you are entering a number that isn't the ticket number, that happened to me once.

Aloha

Could it be that you are entering a number that isn't the ticket number, that happened to me once.

Aloha
I think the survey ask for the reservation number not ticket number.

Bob
Bob,

I believe, but don't promise, that some leeway is granted for the LD's based upon the idea that someone traveling across the country might not be able to take the survey. I know that on at least one occasion, I pushed an LD to the 4 day mark. Not sure if it will got to 5, but again I have pushed it to 4.

I think that's one reason that they ask for both the date and the train number, before deciding whether to boot you out for not doing things timely.

And of course one doesn't just have to do it online, one can call in and take the survey too. In this day an age with most people having a cell phone, I guess they figure that they've covered all bases.

Bob
Bob,

I believe, but don't promise, that some leeway is granted for the LD's based upon the idea that someone traveling across the country might not be able to take the survey. I know that on at least one occasion, I pushed an LD to the 4 day mark. Not sure if it will got to 5, but again I have pushed it to 4.

I think that's one reason that they ask for both the date and the train number, before deciding whether to boot you out for not doing things timely.

And of course one doesn't just have to do it online, one can call in and take the survey too. In this day an age with most people having a cell phone, I guess they figure that they've covered all bases.
except text messaging :lol:

Aloha
I think the survey ask for the reservation number not ticket number.
I concur, if you're getting booted before you enter a date, then either your not entering your reservation number or not entering it correctly, or you rode a train that someone forgot to put into the computer. The reservation number is a 5 digit code comprised of numbers and letters in the lower right hand corner of your ticket stub. And make sure that you are entering a zero if there is one in the number, not the letter O.

Yeah, and all those bedroom miles and no AGR points because you have to live in the US or Canada to get an AGR card! :angry:

Winning the drawing would be quite a feat as they only have 1 drawing a month for every Amtrak traveler on all the trains. Now I know not everyone fills out the survey for every trip. However, your odds are quite low but at least for me I don't fill out the survey in hopes of winning free travel (Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted to score $500 in Amtrak travel) I take the survey to try and provide my feedback to Amtrak about there service and ways to improve it.
I agree with your conclusion that meaningful feedback, not winning the drawing needs to be the motivation for completing the survey. With respect for the survey, I wish that it gave opportunity fr brief narrative input when the canned questions and answers don't fit the situation.

Yes, one of our own members here StLouieLady won a drawing a while back. You can read about it in this topic.

I checked again, just to be sure I wasn't just misreading the question. The first and only question that I see is:

What was the train number of the Amtrak train that you rode on this trip? You can find the train number on your ticket stub under the heading train. (Please view the sample ticket stub above for your reference.)
Putting in any 4 digit number, from my actual train number to any random digit combination yields the same, nonhelpful reply of:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THIS SURVEY. YOU MAY VISIT AMTRAK'S WEBSITE BY CLICKING THIS LINK WWW.AMTRAK.COM AND OFFERING ANY COMMENTS YOU MAY HAVE BY CLICKING ON THE "CONTACT US" PAGE.

THANK YOU FOR RIDING AMTRAK AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SERVING YOU AGAIN!
(The caps are actually there, those are verbatim)

I thought that maybe I was even typing in the url incorrectly and I was going to some faux site made by one of those losers with too much time on their hands, but proper spelling on the website and rechecking the URL confirmed that I am at the right place

Though I take it I'm there at the wrong time. :(

Wait a second--If I type in the train number 51 (Which I believe is the Cardinal that I'll be taking later), I get somewhere. If they weren't going to let me fill out a survey because I only rode the "mundane" Regional, they should have said so on the ticket. Not every trip can be a far-flung multistate quest.

If you were on the 3:05PM out of DC, train #1148, there's your problem. That's a holiday extra and I'd bet that no one bothered to tell the computer about that special train. Try entering train #148, along with the rest of the info that gets requested. I'll bet it goes through that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back