Amtrak to allow bikes on Capitol Limited starting 2011

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcl653

Train Attendant
Having biked the Great Allegheny Passage last year, as I see this development to allow bikes on trains as excellent news. Let's hope Amtrak expands this service across the nation.

Any ideas on how they may accomplish this logistically?

Amtrak adding bike service; Rockwood stop could follow
By this time next year, cyclists will be able to roll on and off Amtrak’s cars at existing train stops between Washington, D.C., and Chicago, including trail towns along the Great Allegheny Passage in Maryland and Fayette County.

Additionally, progress has been made on the idea of Amtrak providing passenger train service to Rockwood after a fourth meeting in less than a year between Amtrak and Somerset County officials.

http://www.dailyamerican.com/articles/2010/07/10/news/local/news245.txt

Last edited by a moderator:
Having biked the Great Allegheny Passage last year, as I see this development to allow bikes on trains as excellent news. Let's hope Amtrak expands this service across the nation.

Any ideas on how they may accomplish this logistically?

Amtrak adding bike service; Rockwood stop could follow
By this time next year, cyclists will be able to roll on and off Amtrak's cars at existing train stops between Washington, D.C., and Chicago, including trail towns along the Great Allegheny Passage in Maryland and Fayette County.

Additionally, progress has been made on the idea of Amtrak providing passenger train service to Rockwood after a fourth meeting in less than a year between Amtrak and Somerset County officials.

http://www.dailyamer...cal/news245.txt
This is great news! I'm a disabled cyclist, and I ride a recumbent trike like this:

Picture

It's a lot larger than a normal bicycle. I hope that they allow these too?

Do they charge extra?

regards,

Cullen Carter

Appleton, WI

Last edited:
To "guest" (post #2), you may not want to post your email address, or at least change the "@" sign to "at"!
wink.gif
The "spambots" love to read and find post with an "@" - but they do not recognize an "at" as part of an email address!

How do the trains that currently accept bicycles (not boxed in checked baggage, but otherwise) handle them?

I assume the Capitol Limited will not be receiving any sort of new equipment for this change in policy, nor would it seem likely that any altered baggage cars would be "dedicated" to this train either. I'm curious what sort of change this entails.

The MBTA has a special coach that they use on the Newburyport/Rockport line in the summer to allow for bikes. They add it to the train on the weekends in the summer. Here is a picture I borrowed from the T website. As you can see, they lose a whole column of seats (the three seater side) for the bike racks
BikePagePic1.jpg

I can't imagine that they would do this on the CL, but how else can you roll on and roll off the train?

I'm not sure, but I think the trains that carry unboxed bikes have a bike rack in the baggage car. You have to bring the bike to the baggage car, and then pick it up from the baggage car.
What do you suppose the practicality is of adding similar bike racks to all baggage cars/cabbages, so any train/station with checked baggage could accept unboxed bicycles?

I don't know about this proposal, but most of the other trains that carry bikes charge $5, and the bikes need a reservation too!
I wasn't sure if most other trains require a reservation and charge a fee, but it seems to be the case -- based on routes. According to Amtrak, five of the eight routes currently offering this require a reservation and a fee.

However, based on number of trains, more trains have free, non-reserved bike service than require reservation. For all of Amtrak California's three routes and thruway buses, the service is non-reserved and free (first-come, first-served).

Amtrak California routes carry 68 daily trains and are the second, third and fifth busiest routes in the nation. The other five routes with bike service only have 54 daily trains.

Anyway, I guess its good that Amtrak has 122 daily trains that offer some sort of carry-on bike service, although many would definitely hope for more.

Some disappointing news for people with odd-shaped bikes -- Amtrak requires that they be checked as baggage in most cases:

Bicycle racks will not accommodate tandem, recumbent or other unusual bikes. Such bikes must be transported as checked baggage, in a box.

Wonders never cease! Next we'll be reading about resumption of the Sunset East.

I've been following the GAP crowd's campaign, and even wrote a letter myself. IMHO a coach baggage car is ideal for this. With the low level door, the cyclist can easily load the bike and lash it to a railing. A staff member could take tickets if there were a charge. This is routine even on the fast intercity trains in Austria.

We've got a PGH to CUM bike trip planned for this September, so it looks like I can't get rid of our folding bikes yet. Now if the CL were to be fashionably late, we could get breakfast before detraining in PGH.

as the CL uses Superliner equipment. I wonder if they will convert some of the Coach-Baggage cars to Coach-Bike cars for this. Seems the most sensible option in my book. Simply add bike racks in the baggage area; and throw a baggage car on the end.

peter

That train is Superliner, right? A modified Coach-Baggage would be an ideal solution. No high level platform or opening of a baggage car would be required.

This is a service that would be well-used. The roll-on service on the Adirondak was under-subscribed. There wasn't enough demand to warrant maintaining a Heritage car.

as the CL uses Superliner equipment. I wonder if they will convert some of the Coach-Baggage cars to Coach-Bike cars for this. Seems the most sensible option in my book. Simply add bike racks in the baggage area; and throw a baggage car on the end.

peter

Ah, of course, coach-baggage cars. I didn't think of those.

The roll-on service on the Adirondak was under-subscribed. There wasn't enough demand to warrant maintaining a Heritage car.
I took up the bicycle for transportation and touring in 1970, a year before Amtrak came on the scene. I was about to say this represents a major first in that no LD train, nor any non-state-supported train has ever had this type of service. I thought you may have come up with an exception; but I do believe the Adirondak is state supported.

I'm writing from the Sac. station right now, as we wait to board #14 to PDX. We got off of No.5 earlier today and I learned some new tricks to help get your bikes from place to place. There is no doubt in my mind now that a regular bike can be packaged tight enough to be stowed in the "equipment room", now just have to get Amtrak to sign off so we can have this as a policy.

No doubt about it, not having a coach-baggage complicates the situation. If this were on every long distance train the bike problem would be virtually solved, especially if they put this car immediately behind the lounge. Often this car is already being used, I saw one myself the other day in Glenwood Springs as we returned from our mtn. bike ride. We talked here about double stops and it being a problem, but after seeing so many of them in such far away stations over and over, I no longer count this as a safety issue.

About any bike that can fold (except for recumbents and tandems) can be brought on-board, with permission of course from either the A.C or Conductor. I flew through Helper last night, and wished once again that I had the ability to stop there with my pedal-powered vehicle.

The crews seem very willing to accomodate bikes, its the upper management that is once again slow to respond. In any case though, the news from this thread is a good one, Amtrak is headed in the right direction, albeit slowly.

I will be posting a full trip report as soon as I get home. So far we've done #8 cfrom Fargo to Chicgao, then #5 from Chicago to Glenwood, now just arrived from GSC to Sacramento, and tomorrow its Portland. Finally will have a bike able train w/o boxing when we take 516 to Seattle from PDX, no more boxes, yes! :)

Wonders never cease! Next we'll be reading about resumption of the Sunset East.

I've been following the GAP crowd's campaign, and even wrote a letter myself. IMHO a coach baggage car is ideal for this. With the low level door, the cyclist can easily load the bike and lash it to a railing. A staff member could take tickets if there were a charge. This is routine even on the fast intercity trains in Austria.

We've got a PGH to CUM bike trip planned for this September, so it looks like I can't get rid of our folding bikes yet. Now if the CL were to be fashionably late, we could get breakfast before detraining in PGH.

Just wanted to apologize for not signing in as well. I'm still getting used to these forum protocols, so the Guest Tony and Chepe2022 are one and the same.

Last, I am now modifying one of my bikes to be a folding version, I want to take it to Helper, Raton, and of course Truckee!

Sincerely, Chepe2022:blink:

The crews seem very willing to accomodate bikes, its the upper management that is once again slow to respond. In any case though, the news from this thread is a good one, Amtrak is headed in the right direction, albeit slowly.
I'm sure that some of that "slowness" to respond is the issue of revenue. Running a coach-bag instead of a full coach cuts 13 seats from that train. On a train like the Zephyr, that represents just shy of $2,000 assuming all seats were sold at low bucket; something that would be unlikely. And it makes no accounting for the food and drink that those passengers might by, nor turn over of the seats during the run.

PS. Glad to see that you've signed up! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
but I do believe the Adirondak is state supported.
I do think that all Empire and Adirondak trains are state supported; I think it was ESPA and others pressing for the service. They tried it for several years then gave up.

Alas, the regular-bike clause will prevent me taking my SWB recumbent, which is my commuter and tourer. (I just brought it UCA-ROC last week at the end of an Adirondaks tour.) I tinker with building recumbents, one of the potential projects is a folding 'bent.

but I do believe the Adirondak is state supported.
I do think that all Empire and Adirondak trains are state supported; I think it was ESPA and others pressing for the service. They tried it for several years then gave up.
No, only the Adirondack is state supported.

All Empire Corridor trains are supported only by Amtrak and the revenues collected on said trains. NY is essentially getting a free ride by not having to help pay for the Empire service, unlike other states with similar services.

About any bike that can fold (except for recumbents and tandems) can be brought on-board, with permission of course from either the A.C or Conductor.
Could you be specific. The official policy doesn't say anything about permission; and besides, I've never known Amtrak to sell "stand-by" tickets. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be left standing at the station in Helper.

The crews seem very willing to accomodate bikes, its the upper management that is once again slow to respond.
This has been my experience also, with 2 exceptions out of many trips.

handicap.jpg

Paul, I've sent you a PM explaining the circumstances. As for the crews, consensus seems to be after asking on several trains that bringing bikes on-board isn't a big deal to them at all.

I take it that your bikes pictured here are in your own sleeper? Or if not, did you really do what I think you did?!! And no, I don't mean the H room. I'm thinking you absconded with someone elses bathroom...<g>.

Alan, we just got off of #14 about four hours ago, and I understand about the cost issue of losing space, but on 14 they did the unthinkable and converted a lower level coach area into an arcade.

This isn't the first time I've seen this, back in '02 I saw the same on the CZ. What's appalling to me is this:

1) Arcade is nice, but I saw very litle revenue being generated, and there was still plenty of space in between machines and plenty of space in the back to put bikes.

2) After seeing several parents trying their best to manage their kids(one woman had three young boys), I wish this same space could be utilized as a workolut room or jungle gym, give these kids an outlet to vent instead of an arcade. Or even make it partially a "techie" room, the possibilities abound.

3) Amtrak is still lugging around coach-baggages as I previously stated by seeing one the other day in Glenwood. Either these are just stand-ins for coaches, or there must be a reason as to their continued existence. I would gladly pay up to twenty bucks to carry my bike on-board w/o having to disassemble it. I just spent the first half-hour puttin' them back together at PDX. Back in '88 coach-bags were a normal thing on 11 and 14.

I think that there are a lot of workable options here, my renewed positive atitude comes from the crews. All except for one worked their butts off on this trip, and many are amenable to putting a sxolution together.

Last, thanks for letting me sign up, this forum is a truly fantastic place! :hi:

3) Amtrak is still lugging around coach-baggages as I previously stated by seeing one the other day in Glenwood. Either these are just stand-ins for coaches, or there must be a reason as to their continued existence. I would gladly pay up to twenty bucks to carry my bike on-board w/o having to disassemble it. I just spent the first half-hour puttin' them back together at PDX. Back in '88 coach-bags were a normal thing on 11 and 14.
I know there are a hand ful of trains which actually use them as baggage cars. The Empire Builder for instance uses them (or I should say used; I haven't seen the consist in a while) for the Portland section of the train as the regular baggage car would go with the Seattle section. The Pere Marquette used them as baggage cars up until Amtrak discontinued checked baggage service on that train (a couple years ago); I believe the same is true for the Heartland Flyer (although I'm less certain on that).

peter

The Texas Eagles and City of New Orleans (which are currently run through)always have coach/baggage cars in the consist also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back