Amtrak to Ft. Dix, NJ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgreenesq

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings Gang:

I need to go to Ft. Dix, NJ, and I'm looking to take the train. As near as I can tell I should take the train from Route 128 to Newark or Philadelphia and rent a car. Does anybody know a better way?

Also, I have received an e-mail from AGR. As an inducement to get me to try and obtain Select Plus Status, they have informed me that all the Amtrak travel and Amtrak bonus points I earn between now and the end of the year will count for status qualification. If I ride the Acela to NYP or Philly in first class both ways, I'll earn 3,000 status points and qualify for select status. Is select status worth the extra $$$ for the upgrade?

Rick

I need to go to Ft. Dix, NJ, and I'm looking to take the train. As near as I can tell I should take the train from Route 128 to Newark or Philadelphia and rent a car. Does anybody know a better way?
I'd recommend going to Philly, just because it's less of a drive from there. I suppose that you could try going to Metropark and renting from there, or switching at Metropark to either an Amtrak regional train or a NJT train to Trenton and renting from there. Both Metropark and Trenton only have on call car rentals, so I'm not sure just who rents in those areas. Trenton by the way would be the shortest drive, but it does mean transfering trains, since Acela doesn't stop there.

Also, I have received an e-mail from AGR. As an inducement to get me to try and obtain Select Plus Status, they have informed me that all the Amtrak travel and Amtrak bonus points I earn between now and the end of the year will count for status qualification. If I ride the Acela to NYP or Philly in first class both ways, I'll earn 3,000 status points and qualify for select status. Is select status worth the extra $$$ for the upgrade?
First, you've mentioned two different status levels. Which are you trying for? Select? or Select Plus?

There are big differences between the two. Select gives you some free upgrade coupons, 3 coupons to use to gain entry to a Club Acela on the day of travel, along with a few other perks. The most useful thing for Select is the 25% AGR bonus that you'll earn on any Amtrak points earned next year. This of course helps to build your points faster. I'd say that it's probably worth the extra coin, but not everyone might agree with me.

Select Plus IMHO, is definately worth the extra effort. With Select Plus you'll get 3 48 hour advanced upgrade coupons, a special membership card that you can show at any Club Acela or Metropolitan Lounge to gain entrance anytime you want, even if you're not riding on Amtrak or not in First Class. You'll also get a 50% bonus on all points earned from riding Amtrak. This really helps those points build up faster.

The full details for Select status can be found here and Select Plus is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, you've mentioned two different status levels. Which are you trying for? Select? or Select Plus?
Sorry to mix terms on you. Amtrak has told me that my AGR Amtrak Bouns Pionts will be Elite Status Qualifying so that I may make Select Plus Status. I presently have about 2100 Elite Stats Qualifying Points (EQP). My trip to Dix on the Acela in first on both legs will net me 3,000 EQP . That's enough to get me to Select. I'd need to find another 5,000 Elite Qualifying Points to make it to Select Plus.

I'll earn another 1,200 EQP going to Fullerton. So I guess I could get Select Plus with another 3,000 EQP Acela first class run. Stamford maybe?

Is the extra $160 in accomodation charges on the Dix run (coming out of my own pocket) worth it for bare Select status?

Rick

The last time I was at Dix, Uncle put me on a NJT bus to Newark Airport (EWR).

So I suspect EWR may be closer to Dix than Philadelphia.

The last time I was at Dix, Uncle put me on a NJT bus to Newark Airport (EWR).
So I suspect EWR may be closer to Dix than Philadelphia.
No more EWR buses. Only one line (317) currently serves Dix from Philly, Camden from the west, and Lakewood, Pt. Pleasant and Asbury Park from the east, on very limited basis (appx every 3 hours).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back