Amtrak to go back to Phase III for all equipment?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike77E9

Train Attendant
I heard a rumor that Amtrak wants to go back to the Phase III paint scheme for all their equipment. I emphasize this is a rumor, and honestly, I don't believe it myself unless I saw confirmations. Is anyone able to confirm or deny?

I wish...

I never have really liked the current phase.... it's too soft and wishy washy

Very interesting!

Is there a place on the net that shows the differences?

Would Phase III be one of the red/white/blue schemes?

Even black & white would be better the Amtrak Blah that they have now. That said, I'd rather they put the money, time & effort into better onboard services then outside painting.

8400 has the current IVb painted on it. I would assume that the Viewliner IIs will also get IVb. I do know that some of the new Talgo's ( I think it was the Oregon ones) are going to be painted in the official Talgo paint scheme (white with a red stripe, as seen on the Talgo website). The artist's render of the new Seimens engine shows it in Phase V. So I don't think Amtrak is going to be heading back to phase III any time soon.

Personally I'm not a big fan of III, although I do like the Pepsican III. That all being said however I do think that the Anniversary version of III is pretty nice.

peter

I would prefer the locomotives revert to the Phase IV, I liked the silver trucks, the F-40's looked particularlly good.

Where did you hear this rumor??
I've seen this posted this afternoon on another rail forum. The author mentions it as a rumor as well.
If it happens I'd be thrilled. But I'm not really buying it right now. :unsure:

It's true. I read it online, it must be true!
Yeah and I also read online that The Sunset Limited would have full service restored by 2010... Look how that turned out... :ph34r: :help:

Also read this article about the SL and how it's a "Commuter Train"...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Phase III scheme seems very dated to me, graphically and stylistically. The current schemes are better, I think ... definitely uninspired, but innocuous.

And not wanting to sound unpatriotic, but what Amtrak really needs to do is completely rethink its color palette. The red, white, blue color combination just doesn't make for attractive rolling stock. (Personally, I'd bring back Omaha Orange, but that's just me. :) )

Maybe Amtrak is considering this for the new rolling stock of eledtric locomotives and Viewliner II's. It would be a great way to grab someone's intention, proclaiming "yes, our railroad is still around, and we're buying new trains". The present incarnation has been around 16 years, since the introducction of the original Viewliners, which is longer than any other in Amtrak's history. Phase II was from 1976ish to 1982, 1983 to 1995 was phase III. This Phase IV has long outlivd its welcome. Drat the IV, and good riddance.

Maybe Amtrak is considering this for the new rolling stock of eledtric locomotives and Viewliner II's. It would be a great way to grab someone's intention, proclaiming "yes, our railroad is still around, and we're buying new trains". The present incarnation has been around 16 years, since the introducction of the original Viewliners, which is longer than any other in Amtrak's history. Phase II was from 1976ish to 1982, 1983 to 1995 was phase III. This Phase IV has long outlivd its welcome. Drat the IV, and good riddance.
It's a good thing they did get rid of Phase IV.

I heard a rumor that Amtrak wants to go back to the Phase III paint scheme for all their equipment. I emphasize this is a rumor, and honestly, I don't believe it myself unless I saw confirmations. Is anyone able to confirm or deny?
I hope so. I really don't know what they were thinking with the current paint scheme of 'urban camouflage'. The phase 3 scheme really stands out. The train is a gigantic PR tool and it makes no sense to have it blend in with everything else. And Amtrak can use all the help they can get as far as advertising goes. Most people I speak to don't even know Amtrak services the DFW area even though Amtrak has been here since the beginning. Look at the engine below and then look at the newer ones. There is no comparison in my opinion. (Anniversary engine below may have been the source of the phase 3 rumors)

Amtrak+Phase+III.jpg

Looks like a could be an Anywhere Big City Commuter Car! :rolleyes: As long as we dont go back to the Rainbo Trains from the Early Days! :eek: The Phase III does look good to me, think we could all live with that! Some of the Superliners are getting pretty tired and ratty looking, a fresh coat of paint would improve things alot, cheaper than a New Car for sure!(And Im one of those from Missouri types that will believe new Superliner Cars when I actually see one!!! ^_^ )

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back