Amtrak to Grand Canyon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am helping a friend that uses a wheel chair (but she can get in or out of cars) They want to see the Grand Canyon. Where's the best place for them to get off, Flagstaff or Williams? Can Amtrak get them to the Grand Canyon hotel? Thanks

I think Williams is no longer a stop, GCR Hotel discontinued their van. Pretty sure Groome (used to be AZ Shuttle) has service from Flag Amtrak to GCR Hotel. Best bet is to call and see what is involved, particularly Wheelchair accessibility. Might want to check with hotel as well, since this can't be a unique situation. I know Amtrak has a connecting van to Williams, but not sure of what location.

OK, thanks for quick reply.! All for naught now 🤣🤣🤣 She is now thinking about getting off in ABQ and renting a car and seeing a much greater area. The planning is always my favorite part. Thanks You haven't heard the end of me yet.! 😂😂😂😂😂

ABQ to Grand Canyon is about 400 miles, a 6 hour drive at best through the desert. If that is her primary destination, Flagstaff would be the better choice.

Once you get to the Canyon you normally have to park at a satellite lot and take one of the shuttles that runs frequently to various locations on the rim. I don't know how well they handle people with physical limitations, I assume there might be parking for them that is closer.

You would probably detrain at a better time of the day in ABQ, but it is a long drive to FLG from there, and the scenery in that part of the ride/drive isn't my favorite.
There are lots of things to see, though, so if that's your plan it can work.
It might take nearly two days to drive it so plan accordingly.

Once you get to the Canyon you normally have to park at a satellite lot and take one of the shuttles that runs frequently to various locations on the rim. I don't know how well they handle people with physical limitations, I assume there might be parking for them that is closer.
Maybe it was the off season (December) but you could park many places all along the Canyon when I visited last year.

According to the website - Groome shuttle departs Flagstaff Amtrak Station and makes stops at the Grand Canyon Railway in Williams, and continues to the Grand Canyon IMAX theatre. The shuttle can accomodate wheelchairs but reservations are required.

The SWC arrival times, into the Flagstaff station, may not be ideal for some. Westbound arrival into Flag is 8:32 PM and the Eastbound arrival time is 4:14 AM.

Here is a list of motels and hotels near the Flagstaff station:

https://is.gd/4hIJxx
Not really close to the station, but I have stayed at the "Little America" motel a few times. I enjoyed the stay. Plenty of gas pumps on the premise.

If you have time, a visit to the Lowell observatory is interesting. The observatory is 8-10 minutes from Flagstaff. At one time, the used a long rope to turn the dome to a desired position for observation.

Lowell Observatory

The Marriott Spring Hill Suites is only 3 blocks from the Flagstaff station but there is a solution for the handicapped. Winslow AZ station is right at the LaPosada Hotel. You arrive on the platform in back and just go into the hotel. It's a very nice historic hotel and not terribly expensive. You can sleep the night there and in the morning have a rental car delivered to you by Flagstaff Car Rental. The drive to the Grand Canyon south rim will be under two hours.
For a Grand Canyon trip we strongly suggest making hotel reservations and rental car reservations in advance. If you wish to stay at a South rim hotel they tend to book up months in advance.

The Marriott Spring Hill Suites is only 3 blocks from the Flagstaff station but there is a solution for the handicapped. Winslow AZ station is right at the LaPosada Hotel. You arrive on the platform in back and just go into the hotel. It's a very nice historic hotel and not terribly expensive. You can sleep the night there and in the morning have a rental car delivered to you by Flagstaff Car Rental. The drive to the Grand Canyon south rim will be under two hours.
For a Grand Canyon trip we strongly suggest making hotel reservations and rental car reservations in advance. If you wish to stay at a South rim hotel they tend to book up months in advance.
Thank you. That's a great idea. I passed it on. That's what I would do if I ever go back out there again.

The SWC arrival times, into the Flagstaff station, may not be ideal for some. Westbound arrival into Flag is 8:32 PM and the Eastbound arrival time is 4:14 AM.

Here is a list of motels and hotels near the Flagstaff station:

https://is.gd/4hIJxx
Not really close to the station, but I have stayed at the "Little America" motel a few times. I enjoyed the stay. Plenty of gas pumps on the premise.

If you have time, a visit to the Lowell observatory is interesting. The observatory is 8-10 minutes from Flagstaff. At one time, the used a long rope to turn the dome to a desired position for observation.

Lowell Observatory

Thank you. Great idea. 😉

We have been thinking of making that trip, but utilizing the Grand Canyon Railway from Williams. Amtrak has a bus connection from Flagstaff to Williams. You can actually book the Grand Canyon Railway on the same ticket (as Amtrak 7903/7904) which would be helpful if the Chief is late as a through ticket to GCN should mean a guaranteed connection.

I’ve posted this report before but thought it might answer some of your questions. Call the Bright Angel hotel to see if they would provide a ride after arrival at the Grand Canyon from the train to the hotel - it’s just down the hill but too steep for a wheelchair.

If you do take the GC train you drop your bags off in the the GC Hotel in Williams (even if you’re not staying there). The bags will magically appear in your room at the Bright Angel hotel - all are managed by Xanterra. The Bright Angel was affordable (especially in late fall) and if you sleep walk you may walk into the canyon! A nice paved terrace makes it easy to stroll from there along the south rim. Do book the bus tour ahead- it’s well worth it!

Grand Canyon Trip Report

We have been thinking of making that trip, but utilizing the Grand Canyon Railway from Williams. Amtrak has a bus connection from Flagstaff to Williams. You can actually book the Grand Canyon Railway on the same ticket (as Amtrak 7903/7904) which would be helpful if the Chief is late as a through ticket to GCN should mean a guaranteed connection.
I would call them to verify that. I wouldn't assume that the GCR will delay their train's departure because Amtrak is late.

Last edited:
I’ve posted this report before but thought it might answer some of your questions. Call the Bright Angel hotel to see if they would provide a ride after arrival at the Grand Canyon from the train to the hotel - it’s just down the hill but too steep for a wheelchair.

If you do take the GC train you drop your bags off in the the GC Hotel in Williams (even if you’re not staying there). The bags will magically appear in your room at the Bright Angel hotel - all are managed by Xanterra. The Bright Angel was affordable (especially in late fall) and if you sleep walk you may walk into the canyon! A nice paved terrace makes it easy to stroll from there along the south rim. Do book the bus tour ahead- it’s well worth it!

Grand Canyon Trip Report
Great information. Thank you.

There are some significant delays on this line at times. Amtrak issues alerts on twitter/x and their web site, but there are some other tools you can use to get an idea of the possibilities of delays. Here is a map that shows the Amtrak system. You click on your train (#3) and it shows the time tables, etc.

https://asm.transitdocs.com/

I’ve spent the past month in Flagstaff and one week before that in ABQ. I’ve enjoyed Flagstaff and would suggest that for Grand Canyon as others have.

• I personally enjoyed the train ride from ABQ to FLG.. nice scenery at sunset
  • The area around ABQ station is a bit odd. On the other hand, FLG is right in the pleasant downtown and multiple hotels within a couple blocks.
  • FLG has an Avis/Budget location just east of downtown. One stop on the 66 bus. I’ve used them 3x with no trouble. They probably deliver into town if you ask.
  • Flagstaff itself is very pleasant and there are so many natural sights within an easy drive (Wupatki, Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon, Grand Canyon)
  • We rented a car and drove to Williams to do the Grand Canyon Railway. An easy day trip and a great time!

Last edited:
I’ve spent the past month in Flagstaff and one week before that in ABQ. I’ve enjoyed Flagstaff and would suggest that for Grand Canyon as others have.

• I personally enjoyed the train ride from ABQ to FLG.. nice scenery at sunset
  • The area around ABQ station is a bit odd. On the other hand, FLG is right in the pleasant downtown and multiple hotels within a couple blocks.
  • FLG has an Avis/Budget location just east of downtown. One stop on the 66 bus. I’ve used them 3x with no trouble. They probably deliver into town if you ask.
  • Flagstaff itself is very pleasant and there are so many natural sights within an easy drive (Wupatki, Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon, Grand Canyon)
  • We rented a car and drove to Williams to do the Grand Canyon Railway. An easy day trip and a great time!
Flagstaff is a great city and well worth staying a few days if so inclined. If you decide to rent a car and drive to the Canyon, I would recommend going to Wupatki and then entering the Canyon via AZ89 to AZ64. If you decide to rent a car and take the GCRR train from Williams to the Canyon be advised that while the train is a good experience it's somewhat kitschy and the scenery is surprisingly mundane ( both obviously my opinions from my experience).

For anyone planning a trip to Flagstaff next year, you may want to avoid the Memorial Day weekend. The hotel rooms (even the expensive ones) will be booked by thousands of geocachers who are coming for GeoWoodstock XX. The main venue for the event is at the fairgrounds south of Flagstaff. The main event is on Sunday before Memorial Day. The 2023 (GWXIX) event was in Abbotsford BC Canada and was well attended since the 2022 event was cancelled.
If I do end up going, (coming from the west) I'll get off in Gallup and rent a car there for a better time to get off the train.
Tourists to Flagstaff should visit the Riordon Mansion State park as well as the Lowell Observatory.

As a Grand Canyon aside, if anyone is interested in the history of Grand Canyon National Park, here is a link to a website of a joint project between ASU, NAU & GCNP highlighting and documenting the history of GCNP at 100( Disclaimer: I was one of the participants in this grant.) The site is called 100 Years of Grand!. Here's the URL: 100 Years of Grand | ASU Library

Maybe it was the off season (December) but you could park many places all along the Canyon when I visited last year.
Hermit's Rest road is open to the public December-February, but shuttle buses only the rest of the year. However, if you are disabled you can get an access pass at the entry gate that will let you drive it. The shuttles are also wheelchair accessible.

Here's the accessibility guide for the Canyon.
https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm

Back