Amtrak Train 91-CSX collision in SC (2/4/18)/Liability issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but there are two crews involved. The crew that parked the train and the crew that was getting ready to leave.

Did the crew getting ready to leave open the switch not knowing the Sliver Star was running late? Of course you need Direct Instructions from the dispatcher. But a tired crew skipping a step is not impossible. Not sure a mistake of open the switch with out permissions is gross negligence on CSX part.

The switch was locked in the wrong position. Someone sent in a form (presumably over radio) specifically saying it was locked in the right position. (Essentially, swearing that they had checked it and that it was correct.) Who signed that form? That's what I want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sure the investigation will find the answers to these questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The switch was locked in the wrong position. Someone sent in a form (presumably over radio) specifically saying it was locked in the right position. (Essentially, swearing that they had checked it and that it was correct.) Who signed that form? That's what I want to know.
Have the dispatchers been cleared of any wrongdoing and do we know that a new crew didn't open the switch without proper permission?

Is Amtrak liable for replacing the CSX equipment (Lead engine) as well as the Amtrak equipment and passenger liabilities.
I thought each was responsible for dealing with their own damages, so all the damage to CSX equipment is CSX's problem. Maybe I think wrong.

Set your calendar. It's a twofer!

NTSB slates two-day hearing on fatal Amtrak crashes

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will hold an investigative hearing July 10-11 on two recent Amtrak crashes.

The public hearing will explore issues involved in the Amtrak Cascades derailment in DuPont, Washington, on Dec. 18, 2017; and an Amtrak collision with a freight train on Feb. 4 near Cayce, South Carolina, NTSB officials said in a press release.The hearing will include testimony from the Federal Railroad Administration; the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers; the Brotherhood of Locomotives Engineers and Trainmen; the Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen; CSX; Sound Transit; Amtrak; the Washington State Department of Transportation; and the Washington State Utilities and Transportation Commission.

The hearing will be held in Washington, D.C., and may be watched live via webcast.

The moment of impact. If you've never seen anything like it before, it will send chills down your spine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqctZWk1JXo&feature=youtu.be
Yikes. That's...something.
default_unsure.png

I agree that it is probably because of the wheels sudden deceleration against the rails sparking. But I imagine it is possible the HEP could be shorting against something (like the rails, other metal parts). While the connectors are very well insulated from what I can see, it is still high current, 480 volts at pretty high amperage.

Based on the video knowing the location as well. Could be from the moment the cars jumped the rails as well. Only three cars made it into the video which would be the coaches. And I know for a fact coach 1 and 2 both came off the track. So could have something to do with that.

Back