Amtrak train in the movies.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
I've spotted several Amtrak trains in movies and cartoons, here are some I remember:

Trading Spaces (Eddie Murphy, Dan Ackroyd) Train: Night Owl (First Night Owl, then Twilight Shoreliner, Now The Federal)

Me, Myself & Irene (Jim Carrey, Renée Zellweger) Train: Twilight Shoreliner (Now Federal)

Movie Name Unknown, Train: Capitol Limited

Head Of State (I think) (Chris Rock, Bernie Mack) Train: Regional

Here are cartoons:

Simpson’s, episode unknown, but Homer goes nuts and the family goes on vacation in Florida, Train: Ether Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Silver Palm (Back before Silver Palm changed to Palmetto)

Simpson’s, episode unknown, but Mr. Burns son sees Mr. Burns on a one level Amtrak train, Train: unknown

I'm sure there’s more, if there’s any more you know of post them. :) :) :)

amtrakadirondack said:
Trading Spaces (Eddie Murphy, Dan Ackroyd) Train: Night Owl (First Night Owl, then Twilight Shoreliner, Now The Federal)
Actually that movie is called Trading Places not spaces.

Yeah, trading spaces is a show on TLC. You forgot a recent Simpsons one, in which Homer wants to throw a party for Marge and wants to get rid of Flanders, so he writes a letter saying for Flanders to meet Jesus in Montana, and Flanders uses a train to get there.

Also there was a mention in the Second Part of the Season Finale, in which Homer says when Bart wants him to act as a Father figure, "I'm not getting my fingerprints on that train wreck" and then when Bart asks a gain, Homer says "I said pipe down Amtrak."

Also the Florida episode, if you remember there was a funny line in that as they're about to hit the grade crossing.

Marge says: "Homer, no you'll kill us all!"

Homer Replies: "Or die trying!"

As they get to the crossing, they manage to escape the sheriff, and the train on the one track, but as they breathe a sigh of relief, the Amtrak train comes hits them (and drags them), then the engineer takes out a long pole, pries them off of the front of the train, and it continues going as they roll down the hill in the car. (fortunately uninjured).

In the now cancelled (?) Hunter on NBC, the first shots in the Theme showed the Pacific Surfliner and San Diego Station (Hunter was in both shots).

Viewliner said:
Also the Florida episode, if you remember there was a funny line in that as they're about to hit the grade crossing.
Marge says: "Homer, no you'll kill us all!"

Homer Replies: "Or die trying!"
It was very funny, but the engineer could have looked better, but oh well. :)

On a recent episode of Married With Children, Peggy Bundy rides "AmTrain" home from her visit at her mother's house to her home in "Wanker County" (Chicago). The onboard announcement call the service "AmTrain", but there is a circular floating-type life preserver hanging on one of the walls that clearly says "Amtrak". (Is this a blooper, although I don't think Amtrak has these on board trains...?). The episode is really realistic, too! Peg instructs Al to pick her up at the train station at 8:00pm, but later calls and says the train was delayed due to an onboard toxic chemical spill and that she will be arriving at 1:00am and expects him to be at the station to pick her up. She calls again a little later and says there was another delay and that the train won't be arriving until 3:00 am. (Does this sound a little like the infamous Coast StarLATE even though it's in the wrong area?). Anyway, she ends up on being mentioned on breaking news at 4:00am as "a woman with red hair being chased from the local train station at 3:00 am." Kelly laughs and says "what kind of stupid woman would be hanging out at a train station at 3am", just as Peggy bursts through the door out of breath.

One obvious movie Amtrak was also in was Double Take. About 1/2 hour towards the beginning takes place onboard an Amtrak Superliner train, until the two main characters (I forget their names) are thrown off in the middle of nowhere for bringing their white fluffy dog Doloras on the train. It is a good scene and highlights all the amenities onboard a Superliner (dining car, movies, etc.)

And we don't want to forget the recent motor car commercial (was it Infiniti?) that featured one of their motor cars trying to race alongside an Amtrak California Pacific Surfliner train in Southern California.

jccollins said:
And we don't want to forget the recent motor car commercial (was it Infiniti?) that featured one of their motor cars trying to race alongside an Amtrak California Pacific Surfliner train in Southern California.
That particular commercial features both Amtrak Pacific Surfliners and Metrolink trains.

One of the more recent episodes Homer and Bart were near the tracks when a train came rolling by a derailed (forget why) and then re-railed in a matter of seconds. After the train was out of site, Homer says, "I could be flying across this country by train."

Silver Streak is a big hit with Gene Wilder as he travels from LA to Chcago aboard a 1950's Streamliner, but gets caught up in a major crime scandal.

There was also a Murder She Wrote "made for TV" movie where the crime took place aboard an Amtrak Superliner train. What was interesting is the Diner did not have bench seats, but actual chairs. The rooms in the Sleeper also seemed to be inlarged. I'm not actual sure if the movie was filed on an Amtrak train or in a studio. The latter is probably right.

Is there an Amtrak scene near the end of "Rainman?" Seems that Dustin Hoffman is put on a train of some sort to be sent back home. It is probably supposed to be Amtrak--- but as I vaguely recall the equipment is not authentic, though. In the interior of the coach I almost think it might have been a commuter car with straight back seating. Or perhaps I am inagining all this. Anybody remember?

Bill Haithcoat said:
Is there an Amtrak scene near the end of "Rainman?" Seems that Dustin Hoffman is put on a train of some sort to be sent back home. It is probably supposed to be Amtrak--- but as I vaguely recall the equipment is not authentic, though. In the interior of the coach I almost think it might have been a commuter car with straight back seating. Or perhaps I am inagining all this. Anybody remember?
I think we covered all of these movies a couple of months ago, didn't we? I guess it never hurts to bring it back. A movie is always better with a train it it. :D

No, Bill, you are not imagining the scene in "Rain Man". It's at the end of the movie when Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) is going back to Cincinnati with his doctor. They board a single-level train of some sort. They're seated backwards as the train pulls out from the Los Angeles Union Station.

seajay

Don't forget "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" starring Steve Martin and the late John Candy. The ending is a little sappy but it's one of my favorite movies. It's a lot of fun and it has a most memorable quote: "Those aren't pillows!" Everybody knows what that means whenever they hear it, right? :lol:

seajay

Amfleet said:
One of the more recent episodes Homer and Bart were near the tracks when a train came rolling by a derailed (forget why) and then re-railed in a matter of seconds. After the train was out of site, Homer says, "I could be flying across this country by train."
Silver Streak is a big hit with Gene Wilder as he travels from LA to Chcago aboard a 1950's Streamliner, but gets caught up in a major crime scandal.

There was also a Murder She Wrote "made for TV" movie where the crime took place aboard an Amtrak Superliner train. What was interesting is the Diner did not have bench seats, but actual chairs. The rooms in the Sleeper also seemed to be inlarged. I'm not actual sure if the movie was filed on an Amtrak train or in a studio. The latter is probably right.
I remember why the train went flying, Homer and Bart were stealing railroad ties, and it caused the tracks to get bent out of shape. :lol:

Re; Silver Streak. the interior was probably fake, but I think the genuine exterior shots of the train were probably Canadian Pacific equipment.

I remember why the train went flying, Homer and Bart were stealing railroad ties, and it caused the tracks to get bent out of shape.
Never a dull moment. After 300 episodes the Simpsons are still going strong.
Seajay, I don't know how I left out Planes, Trains, and Automobiles as that is another favorite of mine. Yes, the ending is kind of dull and romantic, but their journey had to end sometime. John Candy is another one of my favorite movie actors (even though he passed away).

Amfleet said:
I remember why the train went flying, Homer and Bart were stealing railroad ties, and it caused the tracks to get bent out of shape.
Never a dull moment. After 300 episodes the Simpsons are still going strong.
Couldn't agree with you more... :) :)

seajay said:
I think we covered all of these movies a couple of months ago, didn't we? I guess it never hurts to bring it back. A movie is always better with a train it it. :D
Yes, I do believe you're right seajay - I had forgot about it, though. B)

jccollins said:
seajay said:
I think we covered all of these movies a couple of months ago, didn't we?  I guess it never hurts to bring it back.  A movie is always better with a train it it.   :D
Yes, I do believe you're right seajay - I had forgot about it, though. B)
Each time though, new movies and TV shows show up. This is about the 4th or 5th trains in the movies post I've seen.

This is indeed a topic which has appeared several times, but, in addition to new movies showing up(as Amfleet noted)....we have to realize there are new readers.....some of whom may not have been around when the topic was addressed before.

My opinion has never changed that the best railroad movie is ""North by Northwest". Two reasons, 1. It features the 20th Century Limited, arguably one of the finest passenger trains ever operated, and 2. the scenes, both interior and exterior seem---I say seem, to me--- to be authentic. That cannot be said for many other train scenes, say where the bedrooms are about the size of a small motel room, and have to be to show all the action etc. And of course most movies showing sleeper car scenes show normal door knobs like we have in our homes, a big giveaway that it is a Hollywood set.[

Don't forget "Throw Momma From the Train" with Billy Crystal, Danny De Vito, and the late Anne Ramsey.

An episode of "Starman" featured Starman (Robert Hays) and his son (C.B. Barnes) waiting for and hearing the whistle of and boarding an Amtrak Superliner train. It looked like the Santa Barbara train station.

Another film to add to this list, titled "Clockers", released in 1995. The film was a depressing story of ghetto youth, violence, and escape. I believe it was a Spike Lee film.

The protagonist is a ghetto youth with never ending troubles. He happens to escape his grim reality by playing with a Lionel layout in his bedroom.

The AMTRAK connection comes at the end, when things collapse in on the boy so completely that he must flee. A theme that appears in the film is his obsession to escape his life, and he fantasizes about escaping by means of a long, one way trip on AMTRAK. Ultimately, he gets his wish.

FIlm is violent, dark, unrelenting look at a harsh life style. People either love it for what it is or hate it for the same reason.

I just noticed an Acela Express engine on a Lamisal (Sorry if wrong spelling) Athletes Foot commercial. :)

I was watching CNN Headline News and they were talking about that derailment with the freight train out in Los Angeles, and the info bar on the left side read “Freight Derailment in California” and it had a picture about that had Amtrak Superliners that had derailed (It looked like the Kinston, Maryland incident with the Capitol Limited)! I can’t believe Amtrak hasn’t called them and told them off! It cleared showed a Superliner I Coach and another Superliner I car, and you can see Amtrak, on one of the cars, making it look like it had something to do with Amtrak! CNN should have a picture of a Freight accident. I am beginning to dislike CNN, first the “Microwave Hamburger” on the Beach Grove report and now this! :angry: :angry: :angry:

I have seen our local news in Atlanta bring out a file photo of a Santa Fe railroad locomotive ( of all things---no where near here---ever) when there is train news. I thnk to these peole a "train" is just a "train"---they have no concept, of the different ways "trains" look or how something like that quoted above (showing Amtrak equipment when there has been a freight wreck) could possibly be offensive.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I have seen our local news in Atlanta bring out a file photo of a Santa Fe railroad locomotive ( of all things---no where near here---ever) when there is train news. I thnk to these peole a "train" is just a "train"---they have no concept, of the different ways "trains" look or how something like that quoted above (showing Amtrak equipment when there has been a freight wreck) could possibly be offensive.
Its offensive to me, I think these news agencies need to learn the difference between a Freight Train and a Passenger Train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back