Amtrak train kills woman walking in tunnel in Chatsworth

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another very sad story of somebody being where they should not be on an active railroad:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tr...0,6655806.story
Sadder still, this is the train worked (at least on other days, including the day before this incident) worked by our own BlueJeanGirl.

At first I thought it was 775, also scheduled to be in that area at that time, and the first mention I saw of it (at least as picked up by Google news) was from the Fresno Bee, who said the train was 'bound for Simi Valley'. But this article, and the OTP figures, confirm it was 784.

Strange thing is that I was on that same train (784) the day before (Saturday) and got a chance to talk to BJG from VNC to around GDL, and she told me that that morning, while that set was on its way up to GTA as 763, went into emergency as it approached (or left...my memory fails me on this point) CWT. Some young fool had lain on the tracks while his buddy took a picture. 'That would have been the worst way to start my workday.' (lightly paraphrasing her.)

They do have some facts wrong in the story as they identified the train as a Surfliner from San Francisco.
In their partial defense, I suppose: AmBus 4784 starts at OKJ and detours a little to SFC before hitting all the CS stations (and a couple others) between SJC and SBA, where it connects with this train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another very sad story of somebody being where they should not be on an active railroad:

They do have some facts wrong in the story as they identified the train as a Surfliner from San Francisco.

Dan

Yes, several facts were incorrect. The time of the incident, the number of passengers, and some other details. Passengers were indeed held on the train, due to the terrain and unreachable-ness of the area, and that we were involved in a police investigation.

This was a terrible, tragic story, and so preventable.

The company gives the operating crew time off and counseling after a trespasser fatality.

~BJG

:::who is fairly certain San Francisco and Santa Barbara are some distance apart...:::

Sadder still, this is the train worked (at least on other days, including the day before this incident) worked by our own BlueJeanGirl.

At first I thought it was 775, also scheduled to be in that area at that time, and the first mention I saw of it (at least as picked up by Google news) was from the Fresno Bee, who said the train was 'bound for Simi Valley'. But this article, and the OTP figures, confirm it was 784.

Strange thing is that I was on that same train (784) the day before (Saturday) and got a chance to talk to BJG from VNC to around GDL, and she told me that that morning, while that set was on its way up to GTA as 763, went into emergency as it approached (or left...my memory fails me on this point) CWT. Some young fool had lain on the tracks while his buddy took a picture. 'That would have been the worst way to start my workday.' (lightly paraphrasing her.)

In their partial defense, I suppose: AmBus 4784 starts at OKJ and detours a little to SFC before hitting all the CS stations (and a couple others) between SJC and SBA, where it connects with this train.

Yes, Chris, that was us. The company gives us time off with pay, and counseling, to help us get through. We're all off for several days.

And yes, it was as we approached CWT Saturday morning that we encountered that pair of idiots. Your memory serves well! (And I had wanted to say how good it was to see you again!)

Has it been a full moon?

~BJG

I apologize if I appeared disrespectful with my comment. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I sometimes forget that typing comments and questions doesn't convey the same range of emotion as seeing the body language along with the comments.

I intended no disrespect, and my heart goes out to the grieving family.

~BJG

:::who worked the "Moon Amtrak" day '07...and some of those moons shouldn't have seen the light of day!:::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back