Amtrak Updates Policy on Train Travel By Unaccompanied Minors

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what ever happened to the Cascade conductor who put the 15 year old minor off at the unattended station Centralia (?) last year? Yeah that was a slightly different situation, and ALL parties were wrong.. but would it happen again?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember me at 9yo and my 7yo brother riding the NP 2-car train on the Staples (MN) to Oakes (ND) line for 2 hours or so. Parents put us on the train, spoke to conductor, that was all it took. Relatives met us at our destination. No problem.

Then, as now, growing-up kids are all over the map as far as reliability and judgment. Then, as now, public transport is much safer than driving or walking.

But in the last 10-12 years - policies and rules get tighter and tighter. And sometimes ridiculously so. In about 2002 I bought (online) my then 13yo kid an Amtrak ticket from where he was stranded in the Pacific Northwest to Seattle where his mom lived (me being in mid-America at the time). He showed at the station with his school ID, got his ticket from the agent, and rode ALY to Seattle with a train change at PDX with no problem at all. Two years later an (unnamed) airline required an "unaccompanied minor" supplement ($70) for him to fly one leg. "Dad -- I don't need a bracelet or a coloring book" But the airline needed the $70.

That's definitely one thing you have to give Amtrak in a number of areas versus the airlines. Two free checked bags (and the next two are only $20/each), two carry ons, free wi-fi (where available), no unaccompanied minor fees. There's a lot of places Amtrak could seek out additional revenue, but they're keeping a competitive edge versus the airlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back