Amtrak wins portion of Northeast Travel Battle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobWeaver

Lead Service Attendant
From 3/26 Trains Magazine News update:

Trains win victory against planes

March 26, 2008

HARRISBURG, Pa. - U.S. Airways connecting carrier Colgan Air will end service from Harrisburg International Airport to New York's LaGuardia Airport April 6, primarily owing to competition from Amtrak, the Harrisburg Patriot-News reported.

Passengers expressed preference for Amtrak because it's cheaper, doesn't take much longer than flying, and because of delays to flights caused by airspace congestion around New York City.

On average, Colgan's flights between Harrisburg and LaGuardia were, on average, only 18 percent full last year.

Amtrak's schedules offer a one-way ticket for $47, with 10 percent off if a passenger orders tickets at least three days in advance. Colgan's airfares are between $99 and $169. While Colgan flights take only about 80 minutes compared to Amtrak's 3 ? hours, passengers must arrive at the airport well ahead of time to go through security.

Amtrak ridership in the upgraded Keystone Corridor is up 20 percent this fiscal year compared to last.
Good to hear!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever people tell me that Amtrak is a mess I always point to the Keystone Corridor and say "If Amtrak is given the resources they can do it!" Amtrak owned track good for 90-110MPH. Good comfortable and clean equipment. Even friendly conductors (in my experiences). The Keystone Service is a great example, along with the NE Corridor.

Whenever people tell me that Amtrak is a mess I always point to the Keystone Corridor and say "If Amtrak is given the resources they can do it!" Amtrak owned track good for 90-110MPH. Good comfortable and clean equipment. Even friendly conductors (in my experiences). The Keystone Service is a great example, along with the NE Corridor.
A primary reason the Keystone Corridor is a success is PennDOT. Amtrak, at times, was a very reluctant partner, particularly in the David Gunn era. The rebuild was funded primarily by PennDOT and the instance that the trains be run with electric power was also PennDOT's. Without PennDOT, the Keystone Corridor would still have jointed rail with two hour plus schedules and 30 minute layovers at PHL.
Colgan Air dropped the Harrisburg market as part of a general retrenching. They, like many small-carriers, are being slammed by high fuel costs. The little prop planes they fly are not particularly efficient on a per passenger mile basis, and the market for short hops from minor markets like Harrisburg International (MDT) to majors like LaGuardia is limited, at best. Basically, Harrisburg to New York has never been a particularly viable O&D air market and a little outfit like Colgan flying puddle-jumpers was not going to change that.

MDT is an airport in search of a low cost carrier to come in and turn it into Manchester NH. To date, they have not found such a white knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back