Amtrakconnect.com Train Tracking Website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hytec

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone know how to bring up the Amtrakconnect.com or Amtrak.com website that tracks the train you are on in real time?

I have an iPhone and each time I first connected to amtrakconnect.com on a train, a display would pop up containing that train as a dot on the map of its route, also its speed and the ETA to the next station. Furthermore, it updated the speed and ETA every minute or so. However, if I went anywhere else on the phone, I could not bring up that display again using the Amtrak app. However, on the last leg after logging onto Amtrakconnect.com and seeing the tracking site display, I went to Safari and saw that the tracking site was displayed and was tracking the train. Later in the trip I looked up another site with Safari, then attempted to return to the tracking site, but couldn't identify it in history. Also entering Amtrakconnect.com into Safari didn't work regardless of how many combinations of URL addons I tried.

I'm sure some of you who travel more frequently than I have figured this out. It's a neat site, and very useful when you wake up in the dark and wonder where you are, and how far down you are to the schedule. (Amtrak down to sched? Nah, never happen....lol)

I doubt if the trains I was on have anything to do with this, but here they are.....

#20, HBG-WAS

#2160, WAS-BBY

#2159, BOS-NYP

#19, NYP-HBG

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had that happen on my iPad when I go to another tab. I just log on to Amtrak Connect again each time.

I wish it would stay active.
I tried re-logging to Amtrakconnect after selecting "forget this network" on Settings/WiFi, but that didn't work. I think the re-log just pulled up the settings from cache, instead of downloading them from Amtrakconnect again. I haven't figured out how to clear cache on an iPhone yet. I'll try in three weeks when I'm on the rails again.

Found this for the iPhone SE. I assume it applies to other iPhones as well. It, or something similar may also apply to The_Traveler's iPad.

Clear browser cache and cookies - Apple iPhone SE
  • From the home screen, tap Settings.
  • Scroll to and tap Safari.
  • Scroll to and tap Clear History and Website Data.
  • Read the warning message, then tap Clear History and Data.
  • The browser cache and cookies are now cleared.
I'll check it out on my next trip in three weeks, and report back. Perhaps someone else will have tested this on their iPhone or iPad in the meantime.

As long as I'm connected to the Amtrak WiFi on the train I've never had an issue just going to amtrakconnect.com and seeing the train-specific page. Even after closing the browser or navigating to many other pages it still works as long as you're on the train WiFi for me

As long as I'm connected to the Amtrak WiFi on the train I've never had an issue just going to amtrakconnect.com and seeing the train-specific page. Even after closing the browser or navigating to many other pages it still works as long as you're on the train WiFi for me
Interesting, what phone or computer are you using? It may be set up to automatically clear cache each time you leave the browser. I haven't found that option on my iPhone yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, what phone or computer are you using? It may be set up to automatically clear cache each time you leave the browser. I haven't found that option on my iPhone yet.
Chrome on Android

Chrome on Android
OK, that probably is why you remain connected even when moving to other screens or apps. Android and/or Chrome apparently use different protocols than Apple IOS and Safari. Thanks for your response.

Back