Amtrak's 1500 Series Material Handling Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
Hello there I got good News to you the Amtrak's 1500 Series Material Handling Cars are back in service on the NEC for use for the NEC Mail on Trains 20,66,67,79 and 98 and I am so happy for that. And can somebody please take photos of this cars please tonight or on Tuesday please on the NEC? :D :D

Amtrak Railfan said:
Hello there I got good News to you the Amtrak's 1500 Series Material Handling Cars are back in service on the NEC for use for the NEC Mail on Trains 20,66,67,79 and 98 and I am so happy for that. And can somebody please take photos of this cars please tonight or on Tuesday please on the NEC? :D :D
Amtrak Railfan,

I do believe you as MHCs have already been spotted on the Federal, but I'm curious as to where you found the information? Thanks. :)

Yup, the MHC's are back. They have been spotted on the federal as recently as last night on 67. It's good to see them back where they belong, on the rear.

Thanks, I saw what you mean. Why they can only operate on the Crescent and Silver Meteor northbound, the Carolinian southbound, and the Federal in both directions confuses me?

Scheduling most likely. Look at the times of day those trains run, either at the beginning of the day or the end. Or it could be because those trains have sleepers/baggage, and are already restricted to 110 on the corridor, which is the speed Amtrak has set for the MHC's.

battalion51 said:
Yup, the MHC's are back. They have been spotted on the federal as recently as last night on 67. It's good to see them back where they belong, on the rear.
I'm sorry Battalion, but you are wrong. :(

IMHO a railfan window belongs on the rear. :) Keep the 1500's up front behind the engine and out of my way. :)

Amtrak Railfan said:
So can somebody please take photos of the MHC Cars on the NEC please?
I don't think that anyone lives that close to the NEC that they can just run down and take a picture tonight. Maybe within the next few weeks you might get lucky and someone will be in the right place at the right time. :)

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
I'm sorry Battalion, but you are wrong. :(

IMHO a railfan window belongs on the rear. :) Keep the 1500's up front behind the engine and out of my way. :)
This is ok in the NEC where there is no engine access anyway. I know many of the guys were happy when they disappeared so they could use a real live toilet, not those crappy ones in the engine. :lol:

I heard that the MHC's 1500 series top speed is 110 mph. Does this slow down the Meteor on the corridor or does it have no effect whatsoever.

Well the Heritage cars and Viewliners are only rated for 110 anyway, so it doesn't slow it down for the MHC's. As for the Federal it usually has a Viewliner, so that wouldn't usually drag it down, except this month since it has no Viewliner it probably was doing 125.

So when the people are comeing home from Thanksgiving is the Northeast Long Distance Trains will just have 1 MHC Cars or more.

I want to wish a very nice Thanksgiving. :D :)

still wont see these things south of washington anytime soon. amtrak says these cars are good for 110, but csx and ns still say 60mph max :huh:

ryan

Amtrak Railfan said:
And so how many MHC Cars are in the Blue Paint?
Amtrak Railfan, it is impossible for us to know how many cars are in a certain color of paint. Amtrak is in the process of painting on the cars into what you refer to as "Blue Paint" This will however take many years to complete most likely. :)

Amtrak Railfan said:
Are the MHC Cars are in the back of the Train on the Silver Star?
Yes, they are usually operated from Philadelphia to Jacksonville, and thus have to be at the rear of the consist.

Amtrak Railfan said:
What kind of stuff does the MHC Cars have inside the car?
Well with MHC standing for Material Handling Car, then I guess the "stuff" inside it would be "material". Seriously though, I think the MHCs mainly handled mail and some express shipments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back