Amtrak's 5 Year Plan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Ben

In the plan, they map out the routes that are in the "discussion" phase. Is there any chance Amtrak is planning on adding these routes within the next 5 years?

Anthony said:
If I'm not mistaken, we'll have to see the $100 million DOT loan paid off first. ;)
That's correct.

Even after that's paid off, Amtrak will still have fun trying to start a new route, since the DOT must sign off on it. Plus Amtrak's recent cut back on the Palmetto and the elimination of the 3R's isn't going to help things when it comes to starting a new service.

Yes the extra equipment might help, however most people will look at the cut backs as saying Amtrak can't get enough passengers for those trains, so why do we need new ones now.

I think most of those routes are corridors that are suggested by Amtrak to be started using state funds (like they really exist, yeah right). But, the whole premise of the five-year plan is that they would have adequate funding anyway, so the $100 million DOT loan shouldn't be an issue.

rmadisonwi said:
I think most of those routes are corridors that are suggested by Amtrak to be started using state funds (like they really exist, yeah right). But, the whole premise of the five-year plan is that they would have adequate funding anyway, so the $100 million DOT loan shouldn't be an issue.
Well unless the State or States involved are guaranteeing that Amtrak will not suffer a loss, then the 100 M loan provisions will prohibit the startup of any new line. That includes so-called corridor routes.

Adequate funding on Amtrak's part is not sufficient to overcome the terms of the loan. They are quite clear and they state that Amtrak cannot start any new routes, unless a State or other entity is willing to guarantee that Amtrak will not suffer a loss.

gswager said:
I'm curious how much $$$ left in the loan for Amtrak to pay off?
100 Million.

Amtrak borrowed 100 M from the DOT and since they didn't get the requested amount of funding last year, they couldn't pay off the loan. Since Congress knew that they underfunded Amtrak, one of the bones that they tossed to Amtrak, was an extension on the loan for another year.

Amfleet has hit the nail on the head. Let's not kid ourselves, the Fed is not coming through with additional funding for the stepchild named Amtrak. Any new routes and funding support will have to come with help from the state's like we have seen here in California. LAX\LAS would probably have the next best chance if Nevada\gaming interests would lead the charge. The 2 major obsticles with that plan is the UP doesen't want PAX traffic in their way, and the Las Vegas gaming interests know people are coming to Vegas one way or the other, Amtrak or no Amtrak. 93 per cent hotel occupancy rate over Labor Day.

Wb

So. Cal.

AmtrakWPK said:
Most of those people were probably Floridians running from the hurricane :lol: (Wish I had!!! :blink: )
YOU STILL CAN! :lol: Ivan is comming, good ol global warming loves Florida this year. :ph34r:

AmtrakWPK said:
Don't remind me !!! We are leaving the plywood up on all the windows until it's past us, one way or the other!! :( :(
Same here, I think its gonna go across the state like Charlie.

Back