Amtrak's Full Dome

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think domes are one of the most alluring features of rail travel. I also somewhat feel that the smaller domes with their face forward seating provided a more interesting view of upcoming scenery and also what your passing below. I really appreciated the fact that at night most lines turned off all but some floor lights so that a unrestricted view was possible also at night. Very cool gliding across the countryside at night with the hum of the car below.

As to the various trips, well I had to think about that a bit. Probably the first runs I made in a dome were on the Missouri Pacific St. Louis to Kansas City lines. Followed by the City of St. Louis which at the time combined with the City of Chicago that carried the famous Diner Dome. I never got to eat in it although I was in pullman, but it was something to see. Those City trains carried several domes on most runs. The Panama Limited and later the Amtrak City of New Orleans used the small domes at times. I also rode the Canadian National across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver which carried numerous large and small domes cars. The original Empire Builder had a number of domes as well. The Empire builder pre Amtrak surely was one of the great trains as for as imaginative interiors went. If I recall correctly the Blue Bird or the Wabash Cannon Ball also carried domes both of which I rode at some time. The Cardinal was a really interesting ride when it was in the small dome consist that preceded the super-liner equipment.

I also miss the ability to turn the seats to face various views that the new cars have eliminated for the most part.
As far as I recall, the dome seats could not be turned, with the exception of the swivel seats in the Santa Fe Super Chief 'Pleasure Dome'.

The Superliners do have the ability to swivel certain seats in the SSL...

The Union Pacific domes had 'benches' for two instead of individual seats as in other domes, that were angled slightly toward each side.

It would be nice if Amtrak in the future could add a viewliner lounge for eastern LD routs. It could have two versions one with a small dome at the top and one without. Amtrak could rotate them around the lines as they see fit.
Even if they did build/get domes for the eastern routes, they could only be used north and west of Albany and south and west of WAS. All eastern routes go into NYP, and domes (or Superliners) will not fit thru the Baltimore or New York tunnels! (Actually they will - ONCE - and then be topless!
laugh.gif
)
Would a Viewliner lounge car really need to be all that much taller than a standard Viewliner car?

When reading this, I was envisioning such a lounge would be one where the second row of windows simply wrapped up and across the roof.

It would be nice if Amtrak in the future could add a viewliner lounge for eastern LD routs. It could have two versions one with a small dome at the top and one without. Amtrak could rotate them around the lines as they see fit.
Even if they did build/get domes for the eastern routes, they could only be used north and west of Albany and south and west of WAS. All eastern routes go into NYP, and domes (or Superliners) will not fit thru the Baltimore or New York tunnels! (Actually they will - ONCE - and then be topless!
laugh.gif
)
Would a Viewliner lounge car really need to be all that much taller than a standard Viewliner car?

When reading this, I was envisioning such a lounge would be one where the second row of windows simply wrapped up and across the roof.
My envision (and mock up drawings I did) all have a Viewliner "dome" being akin to a Sightseer Lounge. I'd love to get my hands on some technical drawings for a viewliner (any type) to see if my designs are actually feasible.

peter

laugh.gif
)

Google Seaboard Sun Lounge and you will see something like what you may have in mind. The Seaboard built this beautiful equipment in 1955 for the Silver Meteor. Scroll around until you find both an interior view and an exterior.

Last edited by a moderator:
laugh.gif
)

Google Seaboard Sun Lounge and you will see something like what you may have in mind. The Seaboard built this beautiful equipment in 1955 for the Silver Meteor. Scroll around until you find both an interior view and an exterior.
Those SAL Sun Lounge Sleepers were indeed beautiful cars. Even more so were the Skytop observation lounges on the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha trains.

The Viewliner lounge design could be improved, as could other cars, if they installed on the end bulkheads high definition monitors that could show videos, or view from a 'cab-cam' in realtime for a virtual front view....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back