Amtrak's Quiet Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does, mondays-fridays only. I thought you said you got a system timetable in the mail a few weeks ago Ricardo? That has all the information on which trains have quiet cars or not.

As for quiet cars, they are usually just regular Amfleet I coaches, refurbished or not refurbished, it can be either. Quiet cars can be found on Northeast Corridor services as well as some medium-distance trains like the vermonter and some california corridor services.

Acela Express trains also have a car marked as a "Quiet Car" monday-friday. Most trains in the Northeast Corridor only have Quiet Cars Monday-Friday. The California services have them 7days a week from the looks of it.

I always sit in the quiet car on the Capitol Corridor because I like that they actually enforce the rule and at night and early in the morning the dimmed lights make it easier to look out the window and relax.

P40Power said:
The California services have them 7days a week from the looks of it.
I know that Amtrak California's San Joaquin trains do not yet have quiet cars. As tp49 mentioned, the Capitol Corridor trains do have quiet cars (are they 7days a week, or just weekdays though, tp49?). I am not sure if the Pacific Surfliners have quiet cars... I believe they do, but I know they are the only California-operated service to offer business class.

jc so far as I know from experience the quiet cars are 7 days a weekm especially appreciated on Sunday nights) but are at the discression of the crew especially on weekends.

I believe that's true throughout the Amtrak system. If you have a packed train (standing room) some of the little ammenities like the quiet car, can well, go out the window.

Out here on the west coast about 2 years, on the NEC I believe they have been operating longer.

No, it's always the first car behind the engine.

The only exception to that rule is on the Acela Express. If the First Class car is behind the front engine, then the quiet car is the first Business Class car behind the First Class car. However if the First Class car is in the rear of the train, then the quiet car is the first car behind the front engine.

On the Capitol Corridor the quiet car is the last car in the consist heading Westbound to San Jose and it is the cab car heading Eastbound to Sacramento. And remember it is the Quiet Car, not the Silent Car :)

tp49 said:
On the Capitol Corridor the quiet car is the last car in the consist heading Westbound to San Jose and it is the cab car heading Eastbound to Sacramento.
Isn't that odd. Even the local commuter services that now have quiet cars here on the east coast, place the quiet car right after the engine.

The logic is that it's the one car that's distinctive to the passenger. The cars all look alike to most people, so by saying that it's the car next to the engine makes it easy for the masses to find it.

AlanB said:
tp49 said:
On the Capitol Corridor the quiet car is the last car in the consist heading Westbound to San Jose and it is the cab car heading Eastbound to Sacramento.
Isn't that odd. Even the local commuter services that now have quiet cars here on the east coast, place the quiet car right after the engine.

The logic is that it's the one car that's distinctive to the passenger. The cars all look alike to most people, so by saying that it's the car next to the engine makes it easy for the masses to find it.
Alan, to some degree it also makes some sense because heading to San Jose the Quiet Car is the last car in the consist and on the way to Sacramento it is the lead car in the consist. They also have car numbers posted in each car so they usually say on the intercom the Quiet Car is in Car #5 (or #4 if running a San Joaquin cafe/coach with the cafe on the lower level).

I personally think the easiest way to do it is the northern/southernmost coach. No confusion, no asking, everyone knows.

battalion51 said:
I personally think the easiest way to do it is the northern/southernmost coach. No confusion, no asking, everyone knows.
I can think of two problems with that idea. First, what happens on a train that runs east and west? Now you invite confusion, since one would have to remember two rules.

Secondly, I'd be willing to bet that at least half the riding public has no clue as to which direction is north or south. :eek: Even I, an avid railfan have to stop and think which direction is east vs. west, when I board at Penn. Not because I don't know my directions while I'm in NYC, but because after wandering around in the maze that NYP is, one can loose one's sense of direction.

Yes as long as they have headphones on and the volume is not excessive. Same for CD, MP3 and MiniDisc players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back