Amtrak's Standard Policy to prohibit the use of electronic devices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to smile at the way some folk have to have common courtesy spelt out to them... but it's not funny, honest.

The notice was obviously put out exactly because some folk are too self absorbed to recognise the needs of others...

Ed. :cool:
You are right on the money. There are many people that ride the train that could care less about anyone but themselves. Common courtesy and respect for others means nothing to these selfish individuals. As long as they can hog the space in the cafe car for themselves, it's to hell with everyone else. You can easily use a Laptop at your seat. That's why its call a laptop.

The rule should be that cafe patrons should be allowed 20-30 minutes at the table, only when consuming food or beverages. After their time is up they should be asked to leave. If they refuse to leave they should be ejected from the train.

I have to smile at the way some folk have to have common courtesy spelt out to them... but it's not funny, honest.

The notice was obviously put out exactly because some folk are too self absorbed to recognise the needs of others...

Ed. :cool:
You are right on the money. There are many people that ride the train that could care less about anyone but themselves. Common courtesy and respect for others means nothing to these selfish individuals. As long as they can hog the space in the cafe car for themselves, it's to hell with everyone else. You can easily use a Laptop at your seat. That's why its call a laptop.

The rule should be that cafe patrons should be allowed 20-30 minutes at the table, only when consuming food or beverages. After their time is up they should be asked to leave. If they refuse to leave they should be ejected from the train.
Are you volunteering to ride in the cafe car and time everyone who sits at a table to make sure they comply? I think the cafe attendant and conductor have enough (more important) things to do then monitor all riders in the cafe car.

As has been posted here quite often, your ticket buys you a seat from point A to point B. it does not buy you two of these....not one in a coach car, and one in the lounge.
If you can point to the Amtrak policy in which this is enshrined, I would be most grateful.
  • Each passenger paying a fare will be entitled to a seat, to the extent coach seats are available.
  • Passengers are entitled to one seat per fare, to ensure other paying passengers are not excluded.
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241337896127

Referred to quite often here......
That has precisely nothing to do with the lounge facilities.

1PFQaP0.jpg

(Source)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still trying to figure this out, other than the California Zephyr in summer I've never seen a cafe car completely full except on completely full nec trains where passengers were assigned to sit there. What's with all this common courtesy nonsense? if there are empty seats in the lounge how is it un-courteous to sit at one of them?

Further more I've heard conductors on multiple trains announce that "extended phone calls should be taken to the lounge car" which is a suggestion I DO Support.

Common courtesy is NOT setting up camp in the lounge car. Taking a seat for hours (and leaving a jacket or something on it while you go off and take a nap in your room - no, I don't know if people have done that, just stating the extreme) or spreading out at a table with papers, etc so no one else will even attempt to sit at your table (if no other tables are available). There are people who will do these things.

The problem with common courtesy is that reasonable people can and do disagree on what they think is reasonable.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is if you're abiding by the rules that Amtrak actually publishes.

Common courtesy is NOT setting up camp in the lounge car. Taking a seat for hours (and leaving a jacket or something on it while you go off and take a nap in your room - no, I don't know if people have done that, just stating the extreme) or spreading out at a table with papers, etc so no one else will even attempt to sit at your table (if no other tables are available). There are people who will do these things.
Yep, they're called Conductors and OBS on Amtrak! This is really a problem on the Trains that just have a CCC as a combo Diner/Lounge like the Cap in Winter and the Cardinal with its Diner Lite!

When you're on a train, where people are starting/causing drama (on Christmas Eve of all days), it's amazing how long people stay in the cafe/lounge. As I found out last year, a lot of interesting things seem to happen when you travel on the holidays. ;) That's all I have to say, since previous posters made good points.

That too. Though such seemed to happen more back in the days when the Broadway Limited carried a Tavern-Lounge with muted lighting, than in the harshly lit lounges of today. Feeling nostalgic am I? What is it that compels a lounge to be setup more like a take out food joint and nothing else these days, beats me.

The problem with common courtesy is that reasonable people can and do disagree on what they think is reasonable.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is if you're abiding by the rules that Amtrak actually publishes.
They do theoretically have the authority to require things that aren't specifically stated in a published set of rules. There's nothing stating that a passenger must be clothed, but I could imagine that stripping to nothing would come with an order from an Amtrak employee.

I have no issue if they institute temporary policies for a specific situation, but to couch it in the terms that it's always been the policy seems to be wrong on its face.

I'm still trying to figure this out, other than the California Zephyr in summer I've never seen a cafe car completely full except on completely full nec trains where passengers were assigned to sit there. What's with all this common courtesy nonsense? if there are empty seats in the lounge how is it un-courteous to sit at one of them?
Do they have cafe cars per se? I thought Superliner equipment only contained Sightseer lounge with the cafe downstairs, with the exception of the Cross Country Cafe Car.

We have some converted Superliner equipment running on Capitol Corridor. They're cafes on the lower level with regular Superliner coach seating upstairs.

That too. Though such seemed to happen more back in the days when the Broadway Limited carried a Tavern-Lounge with muted lighting, than in the harshly lit lounges of today. Feeling nostalgic am I? What is it that compels a lounge to be setup more like a take out food joint and nothing else these days, beats me.
Ah yes, the Lounge/Parlor/Bar Cars from the good ole days, even Amtrak still had them in the days of the Rainbow Trains! ( the Piano Lounge on the Montrealer was something else!)

Guess the powers that be @ Amtrak have decided that making the Cafe and Lounge Cars like a McDonalds with harsh lighting and uncomfortable seating is the way to go! (Beech Grove they ain't!)

Evidently not! The California Zephyr is notorious for Lounge Lizards "saving" seats in the Sightseer Lounge with coats, books, bags etc. while people go eat, take a nap, visit the john etc.

Some Conductors will remind people about not hogging seats but most don't!

Like most things Amtrak, YMMV!

I was on the eastbound EB about two years ago sitting in the superliner sightseer lounge car. I, and about 15 other passengers, were asked to return to their seats when we reached La Crosse. The conductor told us that the car had been sold out to an elementary age school group that was riding from La Crosse to Tomah ( the next stop). After they detrained and at Wisconsin Dells stop another tour group of adults boarded and were told to take any available seat in the sightseer lounge car as the train was sold out at least to MKE. At least the lower level was available to sit and eat in. So it can happen at times and you can be asked to leave when the crew needs all the available seats for a larger tour group.

As has been posted here quite often, your ticket buys you a seat from point A to point B. it does not buy you two of these....not one in a coach car, and one in the lounge.
If you can point to the Amtrak policy in which this is enshrined, I would be most grateful.
  • Each passenger paying a fare will be entitled to a seat, to the extent coach seats are available.
  • Passengers are entitled to one seat per fare, to ensure other paying passengers are not excluded.
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241337896127

Referred to quite often here......
Yeah....it it quite obvious YOU feel that way........like I said earlier, common courtesy is far too uncommon these days.......C'est la vie

I don't think policies have feelings. They're either there or not there.

Anyways, the policy for cafe cars:

On many short-distance trains, food service is available in the Cafe Car, featuring table seating. Food service is normally available from early morning until late evening. Hours of operation vary depending on train operation.

On these cars, we offer a variety of carry-out style foods, including sandwiches, pizza, snacks, and beverages including liquor, wine and beer. Enhanced items are offered in Café Acela.

Credit cards (MasterCard, American Express, Visa and Discover) and debit cards featuring a credit card logo are accepted for payment on all trains that offer food service.
And the lounge cars:

Informal Dining OptionsOn most medium and long-distance trains, food service is available in the Lounge Car, featuring table and casual seating. Food service is normally available from early morning until late evening, except during a few short periods as announced by the attendant. Hours of operation vary depending on train operation.

On these cars, we offer a variety of carry-out style foods, including sandwiches, pizza, snacks, and beverages including liquor, wine and beer.

Credit cards (MasterCard, American Express, Visa and Discover) and debit cards featuring a credit card logo are accepted for payment on all trains that offer food service.

Seating for Meals and SocializingLounge Cars provide roomy tables and comfortable, casual seating for enjoying your meals, writing, playing a hand of cards or a board game, or just sharing time with friends, family and new acquaintances. On Superliner trains, panoramic windows on the upper level of the Lounge afford an expansive view of the passing scenery.

AccessibilityOn some long-distance trains, people using wheelchairs may transfer to and from the Lounge Car at appropriate station stops; ask your onboard service attendant to make the necessary arrangements.
The Vermonter's schedule states that there is a lounge car on that train, so the attendant is breaking stated policy.

I was on the eastbound EB about two years ago sitting in the superliner sightseer lounge car. I, and about 15 other passengers, were asked to return to their seats when we reached La Crosse. The conductor told us that the car had been sold out to an elementary age school group that was riding from La Crosse to Tomah ( the next stop). After they detrained and at Wisconsin Dells stop another tour group of adults boarded and were told to take any available seat in the sightseer lounge car as the train was sold out at least to MKE. At least the lower level was available to sit and eat in. So it can happen at times and you can be asked to leave when the crew needs all the available seats for a larger tour group.
Once, on a Thanksgiving weekend a few years back, I boarded the TE @ LVW with only a small carry on duffel bag, and was asked if I minded sitting in the SSL at a table for my trip to DAL, since the train was overbooked. I did not mind and shared the table with a man and his little boy into DAL. This was at the direction of the conductor, though.

Yeah....it it quite obvious YOU feel that way........like I said earlier, common courtesy is far too uncommon these days.......C'est la vie
The point that Ryan was making is that there is nothing in Amtrak policy about who can or cannot occupy a seat for how long in the Lounge. I don't think you (tony96) have provided any evidence to the contrary. you just quoted a bunch of stuff which has nothing to do with lounge sitting and were called on it by Ryan.

Now common courtesy is a separate matter. It would be nice if everyone exercised such. However, there is no commonly agreed upon definition of common courtesy, so spelling out just "common courtesy" as a policy is just kicking the proverbial can down the road.

Yep, they're called Conductors and OBS on Amtrak! This is really a problem on the Trains that just have a CCC as a combo Diner/Lounge like the Cap in Winter and the Cardinal with its Diner Lite!
Cap Cardinal? How about Sunset Limited and Crescent. They do that on both. I've seen them take 3 tables - one for the conductor doing his paperwork, one for the assistant not wanting to bother the conductor by imposing on his table and one for the car attendants/diner crew BSing.

• Post #1 claims the Vermonter of 27 December had a café car by way of the notice in the picture

• Post #46 implies the Vermonter will have a lounge car according to its schedule/timetable

Before this thread erupts into a full-fledged flame war:

Q1: Is there any difference between a Viewliner Café car and a Viewliner Lounge car?

Q2: If so, does anybody really know - based on firsthand knowledge - whether the Vermonter of 27 December 2015 had a Café Car or a Lounge Car or possibly had both types of cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back