amtrak's windows

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott

I'm an Amtrak fan, but what really bothers me is that they don't wash the windows nearly as often as they should. Out of five trips last summer, three of the trains had dirty windows. I just read the trip report by someone who complained of the Pacific Parlour car having dirty windows. That is inexcusable for first class passengers. The whole point of taking a train ride is that you SEE the countryside. Does anyone know how one can write to Gunn directly to make suggestions?

Scott

Scott,

I’m not sure that there is any special address to reach David Gunn at, just address a letter to him, put his name on the envelope and mail it to Amtrak at:

National Railroad Passenger Corporation

Washington Union Station

60 Massachusetts Avenue – NE

Washington, DC 20002

I will also mention though, that dirty trains are something I believe he is already working on. About two – three months back he issued a directive in a memo asking all employees to take pride in the trains rolling out of the yards, including making sure that they were clean. Additionally as Miami Joe who works for Amtrak in Florida and is one of our members here on the board, told us recently, Miami just got a brand new car wash. This new wash came after not having a working car wash for quite sometime. So I think that David may already be trying to fix this problem. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t go ahead and write him anyhow. I get the impression that David is the type of man who wants to hear from passengers, and even if he doesn’t personally read each and every letter, I’d bet he’s got someone reading them and reporting to him.

On the other hand, also keep in mind that it’s not simply possible to wash each and every train, every day. Especially for those trains whose runs last for more than a day. Plus, all it takes is one good rainstorm to make the windows spotty and dirty looking. Yes, they shouldn’t be absolutely filthy, but it is hard to have them pristine. It should also be noted now that we are approaching winter, it’s also harder to keep them clean. First off snow and rock salt create a real mess on the trains. Second, I would expect that you loose the ability to use the car washes in the north when the temps are below freezing.

There was something on this forum a few weeks ago about Miami having a new car washing system. Perhaps some of the folks there can verify this.

Bill Haithcoat said:
There was something on this forum a few weeks ago about Miami having a new car washing system. Perhaps some of the folks there can verify this.
That's exactly what I said in my post above.

AlanB said:
Additionally as Miami Joe who works for Amtrak in Florida and is one of our members here on the board, told us recently, Miami just got a brand new car wash.

Sorry,Alan........remember.......I'm, at work when I do this......have to read on the sly and read quickly.....and am busy for the holidays....will try to be more careful about half-reading things before I reply....

California and Amtrak are working to build a new maintenance facility to replace the current facility in Oakland. The construction groundbreaking was in September, 2002. The new facility will service all of the Capitols/San Joaquin California Cars AND the California Zephyr train instead of sending trains to Los Angeles for servicing. Best of all, the new maintenance station will have a new car washing facility! :D

Mr. Gunn is working on keeping the trains rolling - I wouldn't bother him about dirty windows when he has much bigger problems to deal with on his agenda. Give him some time and improvements will come. He rides the trains himself and I'm sure he notices how filthy the windows can sometimes be - he will get to it! Have some patience. :)

Last time I rode a single level car from a high platformed station I brought a couple of paper towels moistened with windshield wiper fluid in a ziploc bag and cleaned the outside of the window prior to departure. This of course only works if you are getting on during advanced boarding at the train's origin.

Are there any instances today when the windows get washed while the train is EN ROUTE? The California Zephyr(pre-Amtrak, at least) used to have its dome windows washed as the westbound backed into the Denver station. It was great fun for the passengers....most of us ducked instinctively. I think it was also done eastbound at some smaller station. The point in Denver, of course, is that we were getting prepped for a day of fantastic scenery. I think I read somewhere recently that the Southwest Chief gets its windows washed somewhere enroute. Does anybody know about this?

Every time I've been on the Southwest Chief, Its windows were washed in Albq. NM by guys with sundry tools on the ends of long sticks. They were careful to avoid washing the windows on the transition sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back