An "App" for that?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TVRM610

Conductor
So there are a few Apps that I love having on my iphone when i travel on Amtrak. It made me realize.. maybe I'm missing out on other great features? What apps do you use when you ride the train?

"Speedometer" - a free app that tells your current speed.

Motion X - GPS - this is a cool app with alot of features that I first heard about here on the forum. I usually just use it for speed and elevation information. What else should I be using it for?

and honorable mention has to go to Instagram... I love photo-blogging my adventures.

Of course I use the Amtrak App for making reservations and E-tickets.. which is awesome.

So what apps do you use when traveling by train?

Google Maps - to track where are we passing through. It has a nice feature where the pointer showing current location keeps moving along the map without us having to do anything, its cool to see what villages and towns are passing

Google Maps - to track where are we passing through. It has a nice feature where the pointer showing current location keeps moving along the map without us having to do anything, its cool to see what villages and towns are passing
Even better is GasBuddy. Not only does it how you moving along the track, you can update gas prices of stations near the train as you go along but most of all, you can see what you are not paying by taking the train!

Any suggestions for Android? The cool thing about Android is that it's open, so there are thousands of GPS apps. The bad thing is that there are thousands of GPS apps! I keep finding ones that are kinda ok, but clunky.

Of course, there's always Google Maps. And if you want to save a track, Google has "My Tracks", which lets you upload for viewing online or in Google Earth.

But it would be really cool to have an app tailored for train travel, perhaps with descriptions of what you're seeing. "Coming up on your right is one of Texas' largest scrap metal yards..."

You should give Commander Compass Lite a look(iPhone and maybe Droid). You get heading of course, but also latitude, longitude, instant elevation AND speed. The display also contains other information, which I cant remember but is described in its User Guide It gives you bragging rights in the Sightseer, ha ha.

Any suggestions for Android? The cool thing about Android is that it's open, so there are thousands of GPS apps. The bad thing is that there are thousands of GPS apps! I keep finding ones that are kinda ok, but clunky.
After considerable trial and error, I have narrowed down on using Ulysse Speedometer. It is a neat app to show current speed and heading, as also distance traveled, average speed, max speed etc. It also has an option for persistent speedometer so you can browse other apps on your phone and the speed figure will keep hovering in one corner of the screen for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back