Annual Turkey Trip - Part I

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckysBarn

Lead Service Attendant
Abreviations used:

SPI - Springfield, IL

BLN - Bloomington/Normal, IL

LS - Lincoln Service

CUS - Chicago Union Station

CZ - California Zephyr

EB - Empire Builder

SWC - Southwest Chief

CS - Coast Starlight

PPC - Pacific Parlor Car

SCA - Sleeping Car Attendent

It was a dark & stormy night .... no, but it was an extremely foggy morning. Sometimes couldn't see 100 feet. Due to bustitution between SPI & BLN (HSR track work), we were leaving SPI about 7:30am instead of 8:30am. No chance for the fog to burn off. I thought the drive from home into SPI was bad, but the bus ride to BLN was worse! I had wondered why there was a scheduled hour layover in BLN, but with the fog, I only had to wait about 30 minutes. #301 pulled in with an engine at both ends - so without turning around, it became #302.

As a side note, all Amtrak publications state that SPI has a Quik Trak machine. I never saw one & I asked the desk clerk - she didn't know they had one either!

Once on board & underway, the conductor announced that the train was "100% sold out"; that we should be prepared to clear the seat next to us. There was a bit of re-arranging because 2 young women didn't want to sit backwards; I moved across the isle to sit next to a nice lady going to Michigan. Although the conductor kept repeating "100% sold out", the train seemed to be only about 1/2 full. My seat mate went to the cafe car & made the same comment.

Shortly after we left BLN @ 9:40am, while the conductor was pulling tickets, I heard the detector announce 79mph. We were on time into Pontiac, but shortly after Dwight, we had to pull over for the southbound LS. That put us down about 10 minutes. The rest of this segment was uneventful. We arrived into CUS about 10 minutes late.

I snagged a Red Cap & check my baggage in the Metropolitan Lounge. The Lounge was very full, but I had about 2 hours before boarding the SWC, so I went outside to enjoy a sunny, but cool day. I walked around the block, watched the boats on the river, then returned to the lounge. Still crowded, but not impossible to find a seat. I took advantage of the soda & snacks, then sat down to people watch. The CZ passengers were getting their last call to board. About 1:30, the conductor for the EB announced pre-boarding; he collected tickets at the desk & answered questions. This was the only train I observed having this procedure. Once the EB passengers actually boarded, the Lounge was virtually empty.

Finally, the call for the SWC! (Note to self - always have the Red Cap take the baggage to the train) For this trip, I packed way, way too much. I had 2 suitcases, a laptop & my bag with all the last minute things I thought I needed. My sleeper was near the front. I don't know the actual distance, but it certainly felt like no less than a mile! Diane was the SCA - nice & efficient; kept everything clean. I'd give her a B+.

Just outside of Naperville, this exchange was on the PA:

"Conductor to IC"

silence

"Well I guess IC isn't working. Could you call the California Zephyr & ask them to drop off 4 or 5 boxes of mashed potatoes at Ft Madision?"

The running joke the rest of the trip was whether or not we had mashed potatoes. I'm not sure when we got them, but apparently the CZ didn't leave any in Ft. Madision.

The trip to LAX was uneventful. Since this was the first time I've had a bedroom (AGR award), I used the SSL very little. I may never go back to a roomette! I had bedroom B & was facing "backwards". Of course, I had interesting dinner companions. One gentleman from Wisconsin, was particularly funny. He had heard about the swimming pool in the basement, but wanted to know where the masseuse was located!

We would be no more than 15 minutes late at any given point. There did seem to be a problem with some of the toilets. I could smell sewer gas; when I looked out the window, we were going past a treatment plant, so I didn't think anything of it. Talking to other passengers later, the smell was from their bedroom. It was so bad, they asked to be moved - and were. The weather was cool, but pleasant most of the trip. Until Flagstaff - icy snow pellets - glad I wasn't driving!

We arrived into LAX about 45 minutes early. Got a Red Cap & checked 2 bags at the "parcel room" (what kind of terminology is that?) I had a hard time remembering what it was called. The charge is $3/bag, but Rosie only charged me for one bag, because I had the change she needed for the previous customer.

I went looking for the Traxx Lounge. I was pointed towards the front of the station. I finally saw someone opening up where I thought the lounge should be - there were no signs! He told me I was at the right place, but would not let me sit at the tables until the "lounge" opened at 8:45am. I came back. The pseudo lounge is for Coast Starlight passengers only; no snacks or rolls; coffee & juice only. :angry2: Can you tell I was disappointed? There was some constructions near the Red Cap area (near the center of the station); I was hopeful it would be a new lounge area. Then I saw the sign - just what we all need - "Coming Soon - Subway"

I used the Red Cap service to get my luggage to the train. Sean was the SCA. Probably the youngest one I've seen. Very energetic, personable & very good for the 10 hours I was on the train.

Following everyone's advice, as soon as I put my belongings in my room ("D"), I headed for the PPC. There were already 6 people there, but at one of the little tables. I sat in a swivel chair near the middle of the car & logged in. The speed was slow, but better than nothing, which is what I had had the last 2 days. I checked my e-mail, posted a message here & was well on my way to getting my internet fix. :cool: Someone else was having problems getting any connection. We determined I had the optimum seat. That man never did get a connection.

Bedroom D was also "backwards", but I spent maybe an hour total in the room.

I thought we were headed for trouble: we lost power 3 times be for Van Nuys. But no problems after that - at least until I got off at SJC.

Alan was the PPC attendant. Absolutely devoted to his job. I can't say enough: knowledgeable, personable & passionate. He walked the car, if he wasn't busy at the bar, seeing what we needed. I told him about this forum & wrote down the URL. Hopefully he's had time to check us out. I rate him a A+. The food was great! Real china, silverware, glasses, table cloths & napkins. I had the salad for lunch with cheesecake for dessert. For dinner & had the beef - fork tender! Yummy! Alan said this was the first day for the new menu.

So much to see & do - only 10 hours, 2 meals, wine tasting & <insert your adjectives> scenery. I was totally fascinated by the coast. The oil derricks, the surfers, the dogs chasing the waves, the campers & beach houses - on & on. Incredible!

Another side note - in the bedrooms I had on both trains, neither of the outlets by the "sofa" worked. Luckily, I read everything on this forum. I was prepared with a 12' extension cord & duct tape. Plugged in by the sink & ran the cord along the top to the right.

Part II of the trip will begin tomorrow evening (11/30/2010) by finishing the CS northbound to PDX & on to the EB into CHI.

Lovely trip so far! Good luck boarding at SJC; no station host on duty Tuesday night but you'll manage OK I'm sure...

He had heard about the swimming pool in the basement, but wanted to know where the masseuse was located!
At least he didn't know about the Penthouse Suite!
laugh.gif
(BTW: That's where the masseuse is located!
mosking.gif
)

Sounds like you have a good trip going...hope it only gets better. "Parcel Room" goes back to Pullman days when you could check anything for a small fee with the Pullman porter for station to station transfer, mostly in Chicago. Grand Central in NYC had one identified with "PARCEL ROOM" opposite track 26(?) on the upper level IIRC; but I haven't looked for it in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back