Another BNSF derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The local news here in Dallas is reporting that the southbound train should have remained waiting at a siding about 6 miles north of the point where the trains collided.

Apparently it HAD been on the siding to allow a previous train to pass (and should have remained there to allow the second train to pass), but instead re-entered the main, resulting in the collision 6 miles south with the second train.

I understand this stretch of track is un-signaled... but how was the southbound train able to re-enter the main? Would the train crew have to manually throw the switch to get back on the main, or was the switch controlled from a remote location?

coronado said:
The local news here in Dallas is reporting that the southbound train should have remained waiting at a siding about 6 miles north of the point where the trains collided.
Apparently it HAD been on the siding to allow a previous train to pass (and should have remained there to allow the second train to pass), but instead re-entered the main, resulting in the collision 6 miles south with the second train.

I understand this stretch of track is un-signaled... but how was the southbound train able to re-enter the main? Would the train crew have to manually throw the switch to get back on the main, or was the switch controlled from a remote location?
All switches are hand thrown or spring switches your Authorty is a track warrent which had a box 7 Not in affect until after the arrival of which would have been 2 trains the prob i have is the way they list the trains on the box 7 the 1st train is listed last and the 2nd is listed 1st which can get confusing and i think they got mixed up.I work on Track warrent control with ABS i know how this can happen it is very easy to get mixed up.

This time the derailment happened in the yard in Vancouver, Wa, about a mile north of the Amtrak station. It was about six tank cars that derailed, some overturned. The cars were carrying hazardous material--about 10 gallons having leaked out. There were environmental concerns. Some nearby residence said they smelled something, but there were no injuries or evacuations, no one was taken to the hospital, and the cars were eventually rerailed--very gingerly.

The derailment blocked the main north/south BNSF line, affecting all train traffic between Seattle and Portland. TV showed a Talgo train stopped, letting off passengers who went to a bus for the rest of the way into Portland Union Station. While passengers from Union station were bused and put on the train there (at the place where the train stopped north of the Vancouver Depot) for the ride to Seattle. It wasn't even at a station--just a place along the tracks. The derailment blocked access to the Vancouver Depot. Only the Empire Builder (which heads due east after crossing the Columbia River) got through--mostly.. Of course, many east/west freighters to/from the Seattle area use the former SP&S line to/from the east. Many of those trains were stopped in their tracks-at least for a while.

As of yesterday, one line was cleared, hopefully by now so is the other one, and passenger trains are rolling again. The southbound Starlight was two hours late getting into Portland.

Story in the Vancouver Columbian

I'd hate to be that new employee that flipped the switch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back