Another Facebook sweepstakes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Journalist

Lead Service Attendant
Pretty much says it all in the title, but Amtrak's Facebook page is giving away 5 round-trip roomette tickets: I Love Trains sweepstakes

It's only running for a week.

The fine print says trip must be within 1000 miles of origin. So no Miami-Seattle trips, unfortunately...

I'm in!
cool.gif

Pretty much says it all in the title, but Amtrak's Facebook page is giving away 5 round-trip roomette tickets: I Love Trains sweepstakes

It's only running for a week.

The fine print says trip must be within 1000 miles of origin. So no Miami-Seattle trips, unfortunately...
Interesting. On the page you linked to, it simply says "Like our page to enter our sweepstakes for the chance to be 1 of 5 winners to receive round-trip tickets to any Amtrak destination."

No mention of roomettes, and no mention of any distance limitation. It wasn't until I clicked "like" that I was given a link to the T&C which outlined the details you mentioned above. Kind of a misleading promo for Amtrak to say "to any destination." With the 1000-mile limit, people in the Midwest will certainly have more options than those of us on the coasts. I guess you could extend your 1000-mile trip with either a paid ticket or an AGR ticket.

Yeah, that first page is rather poorly worded. I just happened to click the "full rules" before entering and noticed that limitation (and that it specifically says Roomette accommodations.)

I knew there was a reason I keep Facebook around. Awarded travel must also occur by 8/31/12, so much for redepositing my AGR currently holding a September trip, just have to take an additional trip if I win. :)

I entered as well. If I win...well, it's either a free trip to Florida this summer or I use it to take the Cardinal. Actually, if the deadline were in September/October, I'd go ahead and say "Cardinal in the fall"...but since it's not, Florida it will likely be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance of somebody not on Facebook (and has no intention of doing so) entering?
Not that I'm aware of. Seems kind of odd and unnecessarily exclusionary. Oh well, such is life.
I don't think joining Facebook counts as "consideration" in the way that requiring a purchase does. It's more akin to listening to the radio, I suspect (though so help everyone if Facebook ever finds some reason to start charging...those will be "interesting" suits!).

Any chance of somebody not on Facebook (and has no intention of doing so) entering?
Not that I'm aware of. Seems kind of odd and unnecessarily exclusionary. Oh well, such is life.
I don't think joining Facebook counts as "consideration" in the way that requiring a purchase does. It's more akin to listening to the radio, I suspect (though so help everyone if Facebook ever finds some reason to start charging...those will be "interesting" suits!).
I guess you haven't been reading the news lately. Joining Facebook is something of great value to Facebook. And "liking" Amtrak seems to be of value to Amtrak.

I'm the same as DivMiler. I surprised that one can't send in a 3x5 card to some postal address.

Seriously people.... it's an advertising venue just like the ones you participate in when you fill out a *sweepstakes* coupon at your local Boat, Car, or RV show.

No different than you not knowing about a sweepstakes exclusively for the readers of O (Oprah) Magazine or a particular TV show or radio show.

You don't read it, watch it, or listen to it - you definitely lose.

That said, I WON a 30 Day Rail Pass in the 'Thanks a 30 Million' Sweepstakes on Facebook.

Oh, and I don't get spam, no one has stolen anything from me, no weird emails or friend requests.

If you're too scared or afraid to navigate the internet, there is no company or person responsible for making sure that you have a way that you deem *safe* to enter a contest.

Hell, someone could steal the mail and get all of your info.
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you haven't been reading the news lately. Joining Facebook is something of great value to Facebook. And "liking" Amtrak seems to be of value to Amtrak.

I'm the same as DivMiler. I surprised that one can't send in a 3x5 card to some postal address.
Well, it's like a radio call-in contest/sweepstakes. For example, when 106.9 (one of the local stations here) does a giveaway, you have to be caller X (often caller 10 or caller 7, but I think they did a caller 106 contest about 20 years ago). You can't send in a postcard for those.

Now, if a paywall of some kind (or even a forced adver-wall like some download sites have, or major and identifiably connected spam problems) appears on Facebook on an institutional basis, you can expect a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back