Another new one

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, all.

I've recently discovered this forum by a random search. I'm an occasional rider, usually having to do with visiting family or vacations - and those usually involve a bike box or two in baggage. We live within 25 miles of a staffed Amtrak station on the Empire Corridor (ROC).

Our family is train-oriented. My wife's dad was a life-long employee of the LIRR. I love to travel and 'graduated' as a younger guy to the greater comfort of a train (not to badmouth buses, BTW). Our daughter has a history of taking Amtrak to & from school or bicycle tours with me, as does my wife. We have taken Amtrak to "the city" for a weekend, and I have gone ROC-LAX for business, twice. Our son is a die-hard NRPC supporter, and often takes an Empire Service train when he visits. And our almost-four-year-old grandson is already indoctrinated, having asked for a "silver Amtrak train" on last year's birthday cake.

And, of course, I'm a card-carrying NARP and ESPA member. If you aren't a member of NARP and your state or local association, go join now!

Also - I wrote an online article on taking your bicycle on Amtrak.

See you in the lounge,

Dale

:hi: Welcome, the more the merrier as the old saying goes! We have other members that are dedicated bikers also, two great hobbies, trains and bikes! As a grandfather whose 9 year old is always asking when the next train trip is, I really appreciate your story about the cake! Look forward to your trip reports,contributions and comments! :)

Welcome!
smile.gif

And a big
hi.gif
to helping "the young un's" love trains too!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the work you've done on this, also nice to see a CGOAB member here.

Still, limited options is what I am getting from all the links and info. you provided. Amtrak really is a bear when it comes to hauling bikes. I am contemplating rebuilding one of my bikes with the Ritchey break-away system, but the work entailing brazing all that together just doesn't appealing enough.

My solution on this upcoming trip next week was to UPS my bikes to GSprings. Hopefully I can convince the conductor to let us put our bikes on at Gsprings and let us take 'em off at Helper.

Still, limited options is what I am getting from all the links and info. you provided. Amtrak really is a bear when it comes to hauling bikes.

Hopefully I can convince the conductor to let us put our bikes on at Gsprings and let us take 'em off at Helper.
Yep, this ain't Europe. I wouldn't call putting bikes in baggage "a bear", the problem comes that there are many destinations that don't have baggage service or roll-on trains. As you know...

I'd hesitate to rely on someone being willing to bend the rules, you could end up stranded or bikeless. Personally, I'd plan on shipping by UPS or whatever to Helper - is there a bike shop near there you could send to?

Yes, agreed that being stranded isn't a pleasant thought. There have been a few suggestions off-list that have been very helpful, but my ultimate goal is to hopefully bring my bike to almost any station Amtrak serves, and to some they yet have to go to.

As for bikes in the bag car I'm fine with that! The bear part is Amtrak's glacial pace at changing their policy. As it stands, you're right, I'll have to UPS them to Helper or another station. Sigh....... :huh:

Glad to meet another bike/train enthusiast - the only civilized ways to travel.

By the way, you didn't mention a loophole in your post on the Crazy Guy site . See this, this, or this.

Don't feel bad. I thought I knew more about bikes and Amtrak than most Amtrak employees, but it took an Amtrak Unlimited post about a year ago to set me straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, I haven't done anything worhwhile on Crazy Guy for quite some time. The loophole well, kinda kept it under wraps until lately.

Your line "I pity the poor traveler who isn't mechanically inclined." Oh man! Does that picture ever tell a thousand words to anyone who has ever been a bike wrench. Just last night I was contemplating taking the fork off of my '91 Stumpie Comp so that the whole thing fits even tighter into the box, and I use old 1" threaded steerers.

We're looking at going back to GSC this fall, so I won't have worry about this, plus we had a great time there. Otherwise, I learn something new everyday! The links are fantastic, btw.

You're right, I haven't done anything worhwhile on Crazy Guy for quite some time. The loophole well, kinda kept it under wraps until lately.
I was referring NYC 6008's Crazy Guy on a Bike article that didn't mention the folding bike loophole.

Your line "I pity the poor traveler who isn't mechanically inclined." Oh man! Does that picture ever tell a thousand words to anyone who has ever been a bike wrench. Just last night I was contemplating taking the fork off of my '91 Stumpie Comp so that the whole thing fits even tighter into the box, and I use old 1" threaded steerers.
Just so it doesn't sound like a private joke, Chepe is referring to a photo of a road bike riding in the overhead rack of a Horizon coach with its handlebars and threaded stem removed. This was done at the insistence of a newbie conductor, despite the fact that it is against the rules (and common sense).

The "pity" comment may have been partly sarcastic, since removing a threaded stem is a fairly easy operation, simpler than patching a tire. But thinking about it, a bigger problem is that even the veteran bike tourist generally doesn't include a hammer in their pack list. After loosening the stem bolt, normally you have to tap it with a hammer, mallet, rock, small log, etc. to loosen the little wedge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back