Another newbe question on EB bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Astrid

A question for all you knowledgeable railfans: Just how bad is bedroom E?

After postponing a long anticipated x-country (from Boston to Seattle) we will finally be going in mid-April 08. I realize that Bedroom E is up against the stairwell (yep, we got it :unsure: ), and a fair amount of foot traffic goes through, is it really bad, and how late? Any thoughts? I thought of trying to call and see if my husband & I could move one or two bedrooms away (for the same price?? :unsure: ), but I'm even nervous about asking. Oh- well ... at least we are in C on the return.

You're all great, and chock-full of info. :)

Thanks,

Astrid

IMHO, I think Bedrooms C and yes E are the most desirable bedrooms! True, it is near the stairway, but remember the only ones who would be using that stairway would be the (very) few people in your car!

A question for all you knowledgeable railfans: Just how bad is bedroom E?After postponing a long anticipated x-country (from Boston to Seattle) we will finally be going in mid-April 08. I realize that Bedroom E is up against the stairwell (yep, we got it :unsure: ), and a fair amount of foot traffic goes through, is it really bad, and how late? Any thoughts? I thought of trying to call and see if my husband & I could move one or two bedrooms away (for the same price?? :unsure: ), but I'm even nervous about asking. Oh- well ... at least we are in C on the return.

Thanks,

Astrid
I just had E on the SWC from LA to Chicago. It was great, no noise from the stairs, and only one other room next to us. I recommend it greatly.

I love room E, just step right out, go down the stairs and there's the shower, luggage and another toilet. Also, the coffee and juice is right there. I think the opposite room A (I think) is smaller due to the hallway cutting into it. To me, E is the best room.

A question for all you knowledgeable railfans: Just how bad is bedroom E?After postponing a long anticipated x-country (from Boston to Seattle) we will finally be going in mid-April 08. I realize that Bedroom E is up against the stairwell (yep, we got it :unsure: ), and a fair amount of foot traffic goes through, is it really bad, and how late? Any thoughts? I thought of trying to call and see if my husband & I could move one or two bedrooms away (for the same price?? :unsure: ), but I'm even nervous about asking. Oh- well ... at least we are in C on the return.

Thanks,

Astrid
Count yourself lucky to have bedroom E on the Empire Builder. We had bedroom A on the Portland car last September - it is cramped and (being at the end of the train) bounced and swayed all the way.

I've got bedroom E both ways from Emeryville to Chicago next week and am extremely happy.

I agree, bedroom E is certainly no the least desirable room on the train. On a Superliner car, bedroom A is the least desirable. It's closest to the door to the next car, which means noise whenever that door open. And due to the corner of the room being cut to allow access to the connecting door, that shifts things inside the A room. The bathroom/vanity is offset by comparison to the other rooms, and the space within the room is reduced.

I wouldn't worry about the E room, you won't hear any more noise in E than in the B, C, D rooms.

I would add, while E is really not bad, it is right above the exterior doors to the car. After night time stops they can sometimes really slam those doors to get them shut and you hear it.

However, I would not change rooms because of that.

I would add, while E is really not bad, it is right above the exterior doors to the car. After night time stops they can sometimes really slam those doors to get them shut and you hear it.
However, I would not change rooms because of that.
You can hear it in C and D too. Not a big deal. Enjoy the ride.

I had the A bedroom solo one time, and that was not too bad. For two might be a little cramped.

E D C B are all fine - Enjoy

The roomette for two is not all that cramped (for me, 300lbs, and my girlfriend, 100 lbs) so I can't imagine A being anything but an improvement.

Yay :) I have Room E in the California Zephyr and D on the Capitol Limited

I was put up in room E about 5 times and very quiet, yes it is true that right below is the door but you can't hear it shut. It's a little tight but you should manage well.

Have fun,

Acela150

I was put up in room E about 5 times and very quiet, yes it is true that right below is the door but you can't hear it shut. It's a little tight but you should manage well.
Have fun,

Acela150
As I said in my previous post, I heard the door slam many times. Perhaps it was just the cars I have been on that the doors neeed slamming. As I also said, it was not a major issue unless you are a very light sleeper.

Have fun,

Acela150
As I said in my previous post, I heard the door slam many times. Perhaps it was just the cars I have been on that the doors neeed slamming. As I also said, it was not a major issue unless you are a very light sleeper.
I wonder,

If it depends on the Car Attendant and how he/she closes the door? Do they feel the need to slam it shut or pull it shut? I too have been in Bedroom E before and while having heard the door open and shut, it did not really bother me that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you could say that it mean you know when you've stopped somewhere if you wanted to see the middle of nowhere in the dark ;)

Ah yes- somewhere out near Minot, or Fargo (please don't be offended those of you who live there :rolleyes: ) ;)

Thanks again all- guess we'll stick with Bedroom E.

Astrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back