Another wonderful trip report by Jeb Brooks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy his videos very much. One comment he made in this video really resonated with me. He mused that even though the scenery was not as spectacular as on the CZ, EB, etc. he found something wonderfully relaxing and peaceful on this trip. (I'm paraphrasing.) I may be wrong about why he felt that way, but I believe it’s because he was traveling alone. He had no other distractions or the need to interact with others. Those aren’t bad things, but they do present a completely different environment.

What I love best about train travel is the solitude, the ability to watch the world go by at a leisurely pace without any interpersonal interruptions except the ones of my own choosing, like in the dining car or observation car if I wish. I see and appreciate so much more of the voyage when I’m by myself on a train, be it a long- or short-distance journey.

I suspect this is true for Jeb Brooks as well. At one spot in the video, he observes that houses in west Texas are spaced so far apart that he wonders if the occupants have neighbors. (Again, I’m paraphrasing.) It’s a lovely thought, and I wonder if it would have occurred to him, at least in that manner, if he hadn’t been alone with his thoughts.

Some of his photos and videos in this segment are also more artistic to me, and I wonder if that is for the same reason.

Nice video.Having ridden every Amtrak route many times over the years,I enjoy seeing other peoples perspectives. Also the TE/Sunset gives you the most bang for your buck if your primary reason to take Amtrak is the lowest price for the longest trip.As I posted a couple of weeks ago I snagged a $600 Chicago to LA roomette for late August. Actually $448 being I'm overnighting in Bloomington.$13 Coach from Chicago. Three overnights,seven meals,four flex.

The Eagle/Sunset may not be Amtrak's most scenic route but I always enjoy the scenery Westbound from Del Rio to Tucson.

I enjoy his videos very much. One comment he made in this video really resonated with me. He mused that even though the scenery was not as spectacular as on the CZ, EB, etc. he found something wonderfully relaxing and peaceful on this trip. (I'm paraphrasing.) I may be wrong about why he felt that way, but I believe it’s because he was traveling alone. He had no other distractions or the need to interact with others. Those aren’t bad things, but they do present a completely different environment.

What I love best about train travel is the solitude, the ability to watch the world go by at a leisurely pace without any interpersonal interruptions except the ones of my own choosing, like in the dining car or observation car if I wish. I see and appreciate so much more of the voyage when I’m by myself on a train, be it a long- or short-distance journey.

I suspect this is true for Jeb Brooks as well. At one spot in the video, he observes that houses in west Texas are spaced so far apart that he wonders if the occupants have neighbors. (Again, I’m paraphrasing.) It’s a lovely thought, and I wonder if it would have occurred to him, at least in that manner, if he hadn’t been alone with his thoughts.

Some of his photos and videos in this segment are also more artistic to me, and I wonder if that is for the same reason.
I thought the same when he said that it was much more relaxing. I felt the same on my trip to Fl on the CL & the Silver Star! I leave tomorrow for my long awaited loop trip. I wonder if i can stand my own company by the time I get to Seattle & have to cut my trip short 😎😎😎

I really enjoyed his report and his video on this route I have taken many many times. Though some routes have more spectacular scenery, every route allows the rider to experience the real beauty of this country. Look at west Texas, the NM/AZ border, both shown in the video. But also, I so enjoy seeing the landscape changing from one end of Texas to the other. Those who find the view boring should look at what is passing by like my Granddaughters have and still do on this route, these see the changes. Maybe it's greener, maybe it is the ranches, maybe it is the trees of East Texas, but they always see changes, so the view is never the same. Not one route on Amtrak is the same. These routes are full of the beauty God created that we are so lucky we can call our country.

I enjoy the NYC to Boston scenery. Leave NYC looking at the skyline, including the Brooklyn and Queens neighborhoods. See, and pass over the Hell Gate bridge. Ride along the coastline, often with water and boats on both sides. Look at towns large and small. Pass a graveyard near the tracks, and wonder if it's for train watchers.

Jeb Brooks is a true professional and always enjoy his travel blog... accurate, comprehensive, positive, and where there's a concern he points things out in a gentle way.

He's also very skilled at photography and presentation... and the viewer feels they are participating in the adventure. I've traveled the TE several times... and I do appreciate the stark scenery of the desert. I was looking for mention of the burrito lady? The views coming in and out of ELP are always breathtaking!

For me the best highlight of the entire trip was meeting up with Bob Dylan [Jim H.] in AUS... the only AU'er I've ever met in person... that was really special! 😊 😊 😊

Jeb Brooks is a true professional and always enjoy his travel blog... accurate, comprehensive, positive, and where there's a concern he points things out in a gentle way.

He's also very skilled at photography and presentation... and the viewer feels they are participating in the adventure. I've traveled the TE several times... and I do appreciate the stark scenery of the desert. I was looking for mention of the burrito lady? The views coming in and out of ELP are always breathtaking!

For me the best highlight of the entire trip was meeting up with Bob Dylan [Jim H.] in AUS... the only AU'er I've ever met in person... that was really special! 😊 😊 😊
I'll never forget his "sturdy meatball". :D Reminded me of the famous "speecy spicy" meatball.

As someone who has taken the Texas Eagle from end to end LA-Chicago (albeit in the opposite direction), I enjoyed this video. I had a similar experience - while the scenery wasn’t as good as some of the other routes, it was still a nice ride with interesting scenery. Makes me want to do a long sleeper trip soon - starting to think about doing one this summer (looking into an Empire Builder+Canadian loop trip, as well as the Southwest Chief for the Gathering (possibly substituting the Zephyr for one of the latter two).

I agree not the best scenery but for me that made the lounge even that much more important. Enjoy a beer myself or meet fellow passengers, the inside happenings of lounge was the focal point of the Eagle, not the outside. Food and beverage service are even more important on a non scenic train like the Eagle for passenger satisfaction/enjoyment.

Last edited:

If the TE is on time into San Antonio,you will have plenty of time to go to Riverwalk. I did that last summer. Another nice perk riding that route

THIS WAS GREAT! Many thanks for letting us know about Jeb Brooks and his travel blog. Although we've never taken the TE, his video review captured the essence of a long distance train trip and the many benefits of a bedroom. We plan to share the link provided with family and friends so they can better appreciate what our train trips are like.

Eric & Pat

Back