Any other women actively on this site?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will pipe up sometimes, but mostly prefer to lurk and soak up all the accumulated wisdom here :lol:

PS. I find that the P40's gear ratio on the 1/4 axle brings alot more diesel auxilary power for the DPU anytime the GG-1 gets slotted into the hole. I find the characteristics of all diesel or electric APU's can co-exist with the DVD along with the DVR's of all locomotive consists. :lol: Just kidding! :lol: I just like to ride trains!!!!
Good one Brenda! :p

I would post more if I got to ride the train more. My regular trip is the short hop between Bellingham, Washington and Vancouver, BC, Canada. It is only 2 hours, not even quite, not long enough!

My favorite conductor moved to a different part of the country and while I talk to the staff now, it's not the same. They aren't as enthusiastic about trains and travel as he was. Also the regular station agent that I always used to talk with went to a different station too. He was really into trains, in fact if I have the bug at all, I think I caught it from him originally. I know the others but it's different now.

Ah well winter is a slow time for travel. The days have been so short and dark that I haven't wanted to think about taking a little jaunt anywhere. I don't go down to the station as much to visit either when it's been so cold and rainy all the time. Luckily it's not raining now so I shouldn't complain.

Our station agent, the main one in charge down there, who has been there for quite some time but got promoted when the other guy left, went to Washington DC for the inauguration, she had worked on Obama's campaign, I'm sure she will have interesting stories to tell, she likes to tell stories and is good at it.

this chick is a daily reader!
I took the liberty of posting your picture. I hope you don't mind! :p

156202.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would post more if I got to ride the train more. My regular trip is the short hop between Bellingham, Washington and Vancouver, BC, Canada. It is only 2 hours, not even quite, not long enough!
chuljin's average commute is about 13 minutes! Just because you feel like your Amtrak experience is less than the hundreds of thousands of miles of some of our über-geeky members :p doesn't mean it's any less valuable!

chuljin's average commute is about 13 minutes! Just because you feel like your Amtrak experience is less than the hundreds of thousands of miles of some of our über-geeky members :p doesn't mean it's any less valuable!
His entire commute, or just the Amtrak portion? And are you counting the time waiting at the station where he boards?

(My train commute is typically about five minutes each way if you aren't counting any of the parts that don't involve actually being on a train that's actually moving, but it's on the MBTA subway, not Amtrak.)

His entire commute, or just the Amtrak portion? And are you counting the time waiting at the station where he boards?

(My train commute is typically about five minutes each way if you aren't counting any of the parts that don't involve actually being on a train that's actually moving, but it's on the MBTA subway, not Amtrak.)
My daily commute is about 5 feet - from my bed to my computer! :lol:

Can I get AU-GR points for that? :p If so, I'll be Select++++++++++ :lol:

I didn't think that many people would reply. So, helllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooo everyone. Of course I don't post "mechanical" just convenience. LOL

I didn't think that many people would reply. So, helllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooo everyone. Of course I don't post "mechanical" just convenience. LOL

I usually just read most of the posts. I have asked some questions before our long distance trip last June, but not much since then. I like to read everyone's comments at least once a day. Hopefully, we can go on another train trip and I will have a lot of questions again:)

Count me in, too - I was, like others, much more active last spring and summer as we were planning our cross-country trip. I do still read the posts often, enjoy the comments and helpful info, and dream of another Amtrak trek.

:)

Joel: just the Amtrak portion.

This month and part of next month, my commute is anything but typical (*eg* but that's a story for another time, as even this post is wandering off topic), but my typical commute in is:

Drive from home to Glendale Station: about 7 minutes

Metrolink (usually 206) from Glendale to Union Station: about 15 minutes (206 is scheduled 16 minutes, and almost always achieves that...it could be less, but they pad it because it always meets the morning putting-away-the-commute-trains parade north)

Metro Red or Purple line from Union Station to 7th/Metro: 5 minutes

DASH or Metro bus from 7th/Metro to office: 5 minutes

And out:

Walk from office to 7th/Metro: 10 minutes

Metro Redple line from 7th/Metro to Union Station: 5 minutes

Amtrak 785 from Union Station to Glendale: 13 minutes (as scheduled; typically 11, occasionally as little as 9)

Drive home from Glendale Station: about 7 minutes

Add to this at least about 5 minutes at each station for walking from one mode to another, or longer if hanging out by choice (e.g. I typically spend 15 minutes at Union Station each way, even though I could get away with less)

the_traveler: probably not...you only get points for paid tickets, and if you're paying to walk 5 feet, then your commute must be rather inefficient! :)

I traveled from Omaha to San Francisco and back last November on CZ, and loved it. I asked a few questions prior to the trip....but I still read the boards every day.

anita

Add me to the female census!

I registered here several months ago after some of my family and I decided to ride Amtrak from MS to Vancouver, B. C., later this year. None of us have ever ridden Amtrak. I asked LOTS of questions and got fantastic replies and advice!!! Since my initial barrage and getting our reservations, I've been in the background just reading, learning and being entertained! As time for the trip gets nearer, I'll have another barrage of questions coming forth. :D

Aloha

From comments during Sundays chat I called my daughter to join us and include the granddaughter. My Daughter Christine said soon, has hesitated because of the Dial up access she has. Funny that did not phase her when she was 15/16. Her comment about the Granddaughter Evangeline "when she learns to type" Since Evan will be 7 Feb 6th, that must be soon.

I discovered Amtrak last year thanks to National Train Day. Since then, I've taken a few more trips, nothing very extended. I come and go on this board :)

probably not...you only get points for paid tickets, and if you're paying to walk 5 feet, then your commute must be rather inefficient! :)
I have to pay my dog (in dog food :p ) to bring me my slippers! :lol:

Does that count? :huh:

probably not...you only get points for paid tickets, and if you're paying to walk 5 feet, then your commute must be rather inefficient! :)
I have to pay my dog (in dog food :p ) to bring me my slippers! :lol:

Does that count? :huh:
Good for BRR points but not AGR points! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back