Any Surprises?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glomor

Train Attendant
I'm traveling from Grand Rapids to Chicago, then on to LA later this week. Last fall when I traveled that route I had a few surprises. First, I noticed the departure time in GR was earlier than previously. Then when I got to the station it wasn't there! Fortunately they posted the new address and I had my GPS, but that was quite an adrenaline rush! On my return trip I almost missed the train to GR because they never announced it in the Metropolitan lounge. I literally had to climb over the velvet rope and run! Not an easy feat for someone of my age! And I got yelled at! Just wondering if anything has changed on those routes since September?

Regarding your experience in Grand Rapids, the new station opened in 2014. In April, 2015 the scheduling permanently changed to departure from GRR at 6 AM. Nothing has changed on the Pere Marquette since.

As a somewhat regular rider of the PM out of Holland in Business Class, I've never experienced what you stated. Announcements in the metro lounge for boarding are usually made around or a little after 6 PM and they tell you where you need to meet to be brought to the train. I'm not sure what the routine once the new metro lounge opens in the next few weeks, but I'd assume the boarding procedures will be same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. It had been awhile since I took the train so the changes were a surprise to me.

Regarding the boarding, It was happening that way with all the other trains but did not happen with the Pere Marquette. I even inquired when the time was getting close and was told to relax--they would notify me when it was ready for boarding. I assumed there must have been a delay of some sort. Finally, just minutes before departure a hasty announcement was made. I was told to go to the general lounge for boarding, and was given the wrong gate #! Everyone else had already boarded and there was no one there to check my ticket. So I went through the ropes and ran, asking where my train was. They were not happy with me but it was not my fault! So I am hoping to avoid that scenario this time!

Thanks. It had been awhile since I took the train so the changes were a surprise to me.

Regarding the boarding, It was happening that way with all the other trains but did not happen with the Pere Marquette. I even inquired when the time was getting close and was told to relax--they would notify me when it was ready for boarding. I assumed there must have been a delay of some sort. Finally, just minutes before departure a hasty announcement was made. I was told to go to the general lounge for boarding, and was given the wrong gate #! Everyone else had already boarded and there was no one there to check my ticket. So I went through the ropes and ran, asking where my train was. They were not happy with me but it was not my fault! So I am hoping to avoid that scenario this time!
I've heard of such things happening to others so I try to hang out in the front part of the lounge and watch activity with an eagle eye and listen closely to all announcements. The PM rarely is delayed upon departure so my best advice is pay close attention and be very aware of what's happening as they do early board pretty regularly between 6-6:05. In the PM business class era (a year now) I've been on the train and in my seat no later than 6:10.

Obviously you had a bad or overwhelmed lounge attendant as the mess that happened to you is inexcusable. If it were to happen again, call 1-800-USA-RAIL and talk to someone in Customer Relations (not customer services) and let them know.

Things were a bit rocky with announcements when the lounge first started accommodating business class passengers a couple of years ago, but they have the routine down now. They announce, with regularity, all of the Michigan services.

90% of the time, we board from the rear door, but sometimes they walk us through the cattle pen.

I just boarded the Pere Marquette and ....Surprise number one--the coach is not a "double decker!" I wonder if there is a cafe car because I have not had breakfast or coffee!

I asked the car attendant about the "double-deckers" ( I know there is a more technical term for them but my brain is foggy at 6 am) and he said, "I don't know--I guess they're not going to use them in the summer."

There is a cafe car! Whew! I've had my mcmuffin and coffee so now I can just relax and enjoy the beautiful day!

I asked the car attendant about the "double-deckers" ( I know there is a more technical term for them but my brain is foggy at 6 am) and he said, "I don't know--I guess they're not going to use them in the summer."

There is a cafe car! Whew! I've had my mcmuffin and coffee so now I can just relax and enjoy the beautiful day!
I think the two-level cars are only used during the winter because the single-level ones don't do well with snow, ice and cold.

They're called Superliners and as Betty said they used to only run in the Winter on this route.

There's a shortage of Superliner Cars so perhaps the LD Trains needed them?

Glad you were able to find the Cafe and have some breakfast.

Actually the Superliners run year around on the PM. They stole 'em from us a month or so ago after a couple of incidents involving Superliner equipment. We lost them for a while once before for the same reason. I don't know if they are back now or not - I haven't traveled in a while.

I don't know if they are back now or not - I haven't traveled in a while.
As was said before, they're gone for the summer.

Other than the earlier mentioned winter related "benefits", I don't see why they use Superliners on the PM, especially with the newly instituted business class.

Interesting, for the last 5 years Superliners have been used year round except for when incidents pulled them off. One summer I cleaned them while they were in GR overnight - the first thing you figure out is how to set the cool override while you're working!

Interesting, for the last 5 years Superliners have been used year round except for when incidents pulled them off. One summer I cleaned them while they were in GR overnight - the first thing you figure out is how to set the cool override while you're working!

I was intrigued when I rode in April and it was a single level. I was going to ask OBS as to why, but forgot. Then someone on another thread on AU mentioned they'd asked a few days later and said the set was to stay for "the season". Business class on the Superliner is located above the cafe, on the single level, it's separated from the cafe by a curtain. Some of the Superliner business class have leather seats, some traditional cloth. Riding in the Superliner business class, really doesn't have the b/c feel to it, in my opinion. To me, it's just like riding coach with an added free soft drink, a newspaper (I usually reject it) and access to the metropolitan lounge.

Another surprise--the move to the new Metropolitan lounge is expected to happen on the 13th. That's it on the left. I'll be traveling back through on the 14th. I'm expecting total chaos! Lol!ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1464878252.277760.jpg

I was intrigued when I rode in April and it was a single level. I was going to ask OBS as to why, but forgot. Then someone on another thread on AU mentioned they'd asked a few days later and said the set was to stay for "the season". Business class on the Superliner is located above the cafe, on the single level, it's separated from the cafe by a curtain. Some of the Superliner business class have leather seats, some traditional cloth. Riding in the Superliner business class, really doesn't have the b/c feel to it, in my opinion. To me, it's just like riding coach with an added free soft drink, a newspaper (I usually reject it) and access to the metropolitan lounge.
I have never seen a superliner with leather seating. Is that something new?

I have never seen a superliner with leather seating. Is that something new?
Yes it is new!The only one that I know of is in service on the coast starlight.

Me, on the Pere Marquette (370) Superliner Business Class, June, 2015. As I stated earlier, it is located directly above the cafe when the SL is used.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1464889050.905514.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back