Anyone else like the old Superliner cars better?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
I need a knowledgeable train fan to name the different types of cars for me, but in the second leg of a cross-country trip on the California Zephyr, I've again noticed a big difference in the equipment. The older cars have the carpeting in spots on the walls in the bedrooms (helps absorb noise) the shower curtains as opposed to doors, and a pulldown bed that makes far less noise than the newer ones (great when setting up your own bed in the middle of the night). The air vent is a virtual wind tunnel in the older cars, cooling the room nicely. The only drawback are the old school sink faucets, which are veritable hydrants and gush water everywhere, but other than that, I think I like the older design of the cars better.

The newer bedrooms seem more modern (decor) but more hastily put together, and you can literally hear everything going on in either room next to you. The bed makes a loud creaking sound going up or down, and doesn't seem to set up as easily. The "closet" has a metal door that clanks frequently.

Love the Zephyr no matter what car I'm in, but after years of train travel have finally developed this preference and wanted to add to my knowledge base. Can someone name the different types of cars I'm talking about, and maybe highlight some more of the differences? Thanks!

I don't know why but I liked the wall carpeting, for some reason I find the new fake wood wall lining to be rather cold looking.

Although I guess ive gotten used to it, but I still think the fake wood looks out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:
The old wall carpeting was filthy and hard to clean. I've also heard the "old" beds make just as much noise as the new ones when being pulled down or stowed.

Shower curtains vs. doors, guess that's just a matter of preference. The doors work fine for me.

The bathrooms are far better in the 'new' Superliners. I'm amazed how much roomier they seem even though they occupy the same amount of space. And the sinks are actually usable!

I've also never been a fan of carpeting, on floors or walls.

The old wall carpeting was filthy and hard to clean.
^ This. Frankly, I almost gag a little every time I enter a train and smell Amtrak's unique form of carpet funk while seeing all of the unwashable carpet permanently affixed to the walls and floors. Carpet is like Velcro for food and dander and germs. It's virtually impossible to clean on any practical level unless it can be removed and shoved into a washing machine. Yes, you can hose it down with pesticides and such, but that doesn't make me feel any better about smelling it or brushing against it.
crazy.gif

The bathrooms are far better in the 'new' Superliners. I'm amazed how much roomier they seem even though they occupy the same amount of space. And the sinks are actually usable!

I've also never been a fan of carpeting, on floors or walls.
Yeah, and good point made about The carpet being dirty and hard to clean--hadn't thought of that. It does absorb a bit of noise, but the trade-off was probably not worth it. Anyone know the names of the two different types of cars?

Thanks, TS and Cristo. 38,004 miles logged and didn't know this stuff--I really need to better educate myself.

I really like the Bathrooms in the Remodeled Superliners as has been said! When it comes to Roomettes, perfer the Superliner II which has the Open "Closet" in place of the Notebook Sized "Closet" on the Is! Leaves More Room to Store your Stuff next to the Seats or Bed when it is down! As far as the Squeaks/Rattles etc. unless you get one of the really "Rode Hard and Put Up Wet" Old Is, they tend to be about the same! I too like the Faux Wood look as opposed to the Dirty/Fuzzy Blue Carpet! My Biggest Complaint about Superliners are the Old Style Faucets in the Bathrooms and the Heat/Cooling Vents that wont Work at All! Much prefer Viewliner Roomettes, but you can't beat the Sightseer Lounge Cars and the Ample Bathrooms and Shower plus Luggage Rack on a Superliner! I may Live to see the Superliner IIIs Someday, Hope So!! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back