Anyone else tired of "your crazy for taking the train" remarks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethe7

Train Attendant
Yesterday for the umpteenth time I had to defend my desire to travel in peace, comfort, and relaxation compared to the nightmare of the airport/airplane hassle; I get so tired of explaining to people all the positives to train travel and more importantly, the enjoyment I get from it. And oftentimes the truly negative nelly's have never even taken Amtrak and if they have it was eons ago. Fortunately a few people expressed genuine interest or even fascination when I described my itinerary, but those are few and far between, /sigh.

How do all of you handle the criticism toward taking trains in general and Amtrak specifically?

If I can't get this kind of Person to try Amtrak I just Book my Trips and Hit the Rails! (My Family and Friends Mostly Understand, those that don't Get It are Doomed to Suffer @ Airports and in Sardine Tins and also get to Enjoy the Thrill of being in Wall to Wall Traffic with other Drivers that don';t have a Clue!)

I point out that I've got two options: I can drive to DC and fight traffic one way or the other (WAS-FBG traffic is the stuff of legends) and hope to grab a burger, or I can pay for the train ticket and have steak on my way home. That usually shuts down the discussion right there.

Edit: 97 NYP/WAS-RVR is one of the best recruiting tools I've had for Amtrak, though 92 RVR-WAS and 91 NYP-RVR are a close second.

Last edited by a moderator:
People don't say that to me much, they usually say, "You can take a train there? I didn't know you could take a train!", or "Why are you taking a bus? Why not fly (or drive)?"

Sometimes I wish they would join me once, I save on the Roomette supplement anyway.

Why shouldn't I take the train?! :) In recent weeks I've had to go back and forth from Philly to Boston, by car none the less. I don't have much of a problem with that. It's about a 5 hour drive. I don't mind a long car drive every once and a while. But it was going on and on. Luckily I don't have to do it anymore. Getting through the New York area was always a pain. More so on the GW Bridge and parts of the Merritt parkway in Connecticut. But it was a nice drive. But why should I drive when someone else can do it? I enjoy sitting back and relaxing, and should I want to take my shoes off, do that, eat what ever I wanna do, I do! :D

You know, I'm not that bad with flying. The seats are bad but airport hassles are no big deal. The main problem is that you don't get to see anything and you get there too fast without feeling like you actually travelled. So I stick to the ground whenever possible.

If you're gonna travel, you might as well enjoy the way there.

Edit: At least on a plane, you don't have to do the driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why shouldn't I take the train?! :) In recent weeks I've had to go back and forth from Philly to Boston, by car none the less. I don't have much of a problem with that. It's about a 5 hour drive. I don't mind a long car drive every once and a while. But it was going on and on. Luckily I don't have to do it anymore. Getting through the New York area was always a pain. More so on the GW Bridge and parts of the Merritt parkway in Connecticut. But it was a nice drive. But why should I drive when someone else can do it? I enjoy sitting back and relaxing, and should I want to take my shoes off, do that, eat what ever I wanna do, I do! :D
That drive is the bane of my existence. If only I could take my pug on the train (it's only four hours PVD to PHL) I would never drive.

Actually, I find a lot of my acquaintances are actually interested in hearing about my train travel. They may be surprised hearing about the different destinations but, I explain that the train is part of the total vacation, not just a means to get there and back.

Actually, I find a lot of my acquaintances are actually interested in hearing about my train travel. They may be surprised hearing about the different destinations but, I explain that the train is part of the total vacation, not just a means to get there and back.
Exactly! My husband and daughter and I are taking the train from Orlando to Boston and back for Christmas with our son. Some people seem genuinely horrified at the thought of spending 27 hours to get someplace when you could fly in 3. We are counting the train travel as part of the adventure. Can't wait!

It's a simple and logical explanation to my friends. I live in Seattle where it takes 2 hours to drive 21 miles in rush hour. I'll tell them that in that time I could be half way to Vancouver, B.C. or Portland, Or If that still doesn't get them curious I explain how nice it is to ride the sleek Amtrak Cascades Talgo equipment. Riding through Olympia, WA while watching cars on I-5 creeping along, bumper to bumper. If I need to top it off, I'll share how sweet it is to relax with a beer or cocktail in the European style bistro car . . . while viewing rush hour on I-5 ;)

I have a friend who's a commercial airline pilot. I turned her onto Amtrak a few years ago and we do one long distance trip each year! I love hearing her tell of sharing our adventures with the other pilots that she fly's with! They are amazed and getting more curious to try Amtrak themselves. :giggle:

You know, as a counterpart to the steak point, there's really nothing quite like eating breakfast on the Meteor and looking out at gridlock on I-95 as you're heading up to DC.

If I'm going to be a romantic about this, there's not a whole lot I wouldn't give to be able to reliably catch the Meteor from Richmond to DC in the morning, have breakfast, get off, have my day in DC, and then board the Meteor back home. That's actually a life I'd gladly choose in just about any universe: For that I might wish the train ran an hour or so later in the morning and/or ran a little earlier in the evening, but if I had to work in DC, I'd seriously consider that as a "commuting" option.

My friends and family are used to me traveling by train so they don't say much about it. Sometimes someone asks to see a photo of the roomette and I can tell they don't get it. I've never asked them to go along either because I really enjoy the time to myself. :)

I took a train to North Carolina for a business trip. I took the Crescent, arrived in the middle of the night, and crashed in a hotel until morning. My meeting was to start at 9:30, I arrived and other members of our meeting still didn't take off at their airport. They didn't get there until about noon. Everyone was commenting on they didn't know you can take a train to NC and why would I want to do that and it must cost so much more because of the hotel stays. My trip was cheaper then the guys flying in just for the day.

A couple of thoughts here: first, I find "why would you take the train" happening much less in the post 9/11 world of more crowded roadways and airport hassles. People regard my explanations with mild curiosity and have a look on their face that seems to say "maybe I'll look into that sometime soon". Having said that, I find it hard to defend my position when the person gives me a good reason why, such as "the last time I took Amtrak I had to stand in the aisle because there wasn't enough seats on a reserved train." or "the food was awful", or "the coach was so hot/cold I couldn't stand it". These kind of "never again" comments are hard to argue with, and the best you can do is say "try it again because things have improved." Also tough to defend is the cost factor vs. driving, especially with a family of more than two people; even with crowded interstates it is usually far cheaper to drive, especially in the northeast where Amtrak fares are high. This also applies to commuter lines; I can drive down to New York City and pay to park on a Saturday for little more than 1 round trip Metro north ticket (I live near Southeast on the Harlem line); fares get better as you get closer to the city though.

Most people have no idea why we take the train. In todays overly stressed out society it seems most everyone has to do things quickly and have everything now and not later. There is little thought given about traveling at a stress free leisurely pace where the air is cleaner and the environment more accommodating.

We travel by train exclusively. We refuse to be treated as criminals and submit to the dehumanizing and degrading airport experience where you must remove your shoes and put belongings in a filthy bin that thousands of others have used and is never cleaned. Can you just imagine putting a laptop or handbag in a bin that has contained thousands of filthy shoes that have stepped in sewerage and animal excrement!! Yuck! I cannot think of something more repugnant. Airports are also congested, your constitutional rights are being trampled upon and everyone ends up in a closed capsule breathing the same virus filled air with the chance of sitting shoulder to shoulder next to someone who reeks of B.O. Its disgusting.

My friends have gotten used to it, and they also know better than to complain about the airport hassles of some recent trip they took. Some people seem to think that it might be fun to try the train some day, but they "don't have the time to waste now". I say, riding the train is one of the most enjoyable ways I spend time, so what's wasted? Nothing...

I also remind them that only a few generations back, it took a few days to get from Boston to New York; that some of our grandparents or great-grandparents never saw a car or an airplane until they were adults (my grandfather was born in 1901).

What's the friggin' hurry???

Honestly, most people I talk to are all about taking the train. It's just not always a good option for them.

My girlfriend is from Oklahoma and before meeting me she'd never been on a train. Now she's just as excited as I am about taking trips, including long-distance multi-day itiniraries. A lot of her friends respond to her stories of train travel with intrigue and more of a "man i wish we could have more trains here" interest.

Up here in DC it's also a cost thing though. Most people want to go to NYC and the bus is just a much cheaper option so that's what they go for.

As for the comparison to Airline travel I can't say I have the same negative experience as a lot of others have had here. I flew about 90,000 miles last year and never had any major issues. Yes Security is a bit annoying, but if you know what you're doing it's really not all that hard. Would I rather take the train? Yes, but you can't spend a long weekend in Portland, OR if you have to take the train and back. Additionally some routes are pretty asinine. If my girlfriend and I want to visit her family back in Oklahoma from DC it's 48 + hour trip vs. a 3 hour flight.

Sometimes it's not about the journey unfortunately, sometimes you do need to get somewhere in a hurry. For everything else, there's Amtrak :)

Upgrade your friends. :D

Seriously, the reaction I usually get is "That's pretty cool, I've never thought about trying that". My mother-in-law is a huge convert, she's taken the train several times to come up here and visit (from Newport News).

A couple of thoughts here: first, I find "why would you take the train" happening much less in the post 9/11 world of more crowded roadways and airport hassles. People regard my explanations with mild curiosity and have a look on their face that seems to say "maybe I'll look into that sometime soon". Having said that, I find it hard to defend my position when the person gives me a good reason why, such as "the last time I took Amtrak I had to stand in the aisle because there wasn't enough seats on a reserved train." or "the food was awful", or "the coach was so hot/cold I couldn't stand it". These kind of "never again" comments are hard to argue with, and the best you can do is say "try it again because things have improved." Also tough to defend is the cost factor vs. driving, especially with a family of more than two people; even with crowded interstates it is usually far cheaper to drive, especially in the northeast where Amtrak fares are high. This also applies to commuter lines; I can drive down to New York City and pay to park on a Saturday for little more than 1 round trip Metro north ticket (I live near Southeast on the Harlem line); fares get better as you get closer to the city though.
If I was dealing with people that had those type of experiences I would probably state my feelings a lot differently; keeping in mind that people are prone to exaggerate the negatives to make their point. The problem with many Amtrak newbies is they expect the Hilton or the Hyatt when it comes to cuisine and sleeping compartments. While most of us consider the train to be more than it is, it's still just a train, and not a Carnival cruise ship. The amenities are functional, designed to fit the vehicle, but by no means luxuries; on a ship you can easily forget you're on one, especially with the gaudy way they are designed these days, resembling some of the cheesier Vegas style hotels and getting worse, IMO.

Off Topic: Why would you hide the fact that your on a boat? That is part of the excitement of it all, perhaps cruise lines will return to their former glory and someday drop these "themes".

The comments from my local peanut gallery were all from simple, unsophisticated, cars are IT type folks who don't understand the concept of travel for pleasure, they associate it with a means to an end. And Seattle might as well be on the other side of the planet as I get a lot of blank stares after my "the other Washington" explanation.

If I still have some patience left I will inform them that by the time you add up the hours spent on air travel, not just flight time, but standing in line for ticketing/security, traffic, parking, luggage carousels, and countless delays (weather, gate, taxiing, holding), at two or more airports; and don't forget bio breaks since airlines seem to have forgotten that coach passengers need to eat too (I didn't even get the proverbial bag of peanuts on my last flight). If you add up all of that baloney, then, well, the hours spent on a train aren't really all that bad. Except I can go from the taxi to the train in about 10 minutes. Yes I have an overnight layover, but only because I chose to do it that way. And most of the time, trains can run in all types of weather (yes, I know there are exceptions). But I have yet to be on a train and be told we're stuck in a "holding pattern".

And finally, on a more personal note, there's the fear factor. I'm terrified of heights. I know, who ever heard of a construction worker that couldn't get on a ladder? Well, let's just say I will do it if I have to, but back in the day I would simply avoid projects that involved being perched on scaffolding 100 feet in the air. But most of the time the conversation never gets this far.

Upgrade your friends. :D

Seriously, the reaction I usually get is "That's pretty cool, I've never thought about trying that". My mother-in-law is a huge convert, she's taken the train several times to come up here and visit (from Newport News).
Ya know, now that you mention it, I did "convert" my grandmother when she was alive, and she was a diehard airplane fan, she never flew again after her first Amtrak journey and made several LD trips after that.

For people that find issues with trains, they probably don't want to take the train anyhow. These same people would just blow off the same issue if it was on a plane or bus. We are probably like that with trains because we like train travel.

As far as a family taking the train, I had a discussion with a coworker about taking the train to Boston or New York. His claim was that it was much cheaper to drive. First, he was underestimating the cost to drive. He was only using the amount for the gas to go. He didn't count insurance, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc. I still stand by the government rate of .565 per mile. I have been tracking my expenses with my vehicles, and the car that is paid off is about .52 a mile for the miles I put on it. But I have to put tires, brakes, inspection, and insurance in the next month which is going to add a few cents to the overall cost. I buy a car and keep it until it is at 75% of its life where this guy buys a new car every 3 years. Second, he didn't include tolls, parking, and just the stress of having to drive. I have to put a value on my time of driving vs. just sitting and relaxing. He didn't see it that way.

The last time I visited my sister in Los Angeles, the trip took 3 days via Amtrak (MSP-PDX-LAX). Many of my co-workers thought I was nuts doing that, when I could fly there in 3 hours. I have always regarded the travel as an integral part of any vacation, but a lot of people don't think that way.

I do have friends who have expressed interest in giving Amtrak a try, based on my experiences, and therein lies a problem. Most of them would travel MSP to CHI and connect to other trains there, but with the eastbound Empire Builder routinely running 4-5 hours late or more, the trip would be unpleasant and most likely result in missed connections in Chicago. Many of them would say "Never Again!" after a trip like that.

As far as a family taking the train, I had a discussion with a coworker about taking the train to Boston or New York. His claim was that it was much cheaper to drive. First, he was underestimating the cost to drive. He was only using the amount for the gas to go. He didn't count insurance, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc. I still stand by the government rate of .565 per mile. I have been tracking my expenses with my vehicles, and the car that is paid off is about .52 a mile for the miles I put on it. But I have to put tires, brakes, inspection, and insurance in the next month which is going to add a few cents to the overall cost. I buy a car and keep it until it is at 75% of its life where this guy buys a new car every 3 years. Second, he didn't include tolls, parking, and just the stress of having to drive. I have to put a value on my time of driving vs. just sitting and relaxing. He didn't see it that way.
When I moved from the intermountain west to the East Coast in an area well-supplied with public transit [subway, buses, train], I donated the car to charity. Now I have more money for train rides. Seriously, I save $100 a month simply by not paying for a parking space at my building. And forget the time saved by not lounging around at dingy auto repair shops. Plus the other points Benji made.

So when someone asks why I ride the train, I smile and explain, "I don't have a car." End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back