Anyone know what happened to the Crescent yesterday?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack615

Train Attendant
Anyone know what happened to the Crescent yesterday, according to the Amtrak status site it only made it as far as DC and then had a service disruption of some sort. Reason why I am curious is that I will be riding the Crescent next Monday and hope I dont have any problems like that.

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know what happened to the Crescent yesterday, according to the Amtrak status site it only made it as far as DC and then had a service disruption of some sort. Reason why I am curious is that I will be riding the Crescent next Monday and hope I dont have any problems like that.
Jack
The Crescent was just in the wrong place at the wrong time yesterday; nothing was wrong with the train itself. Last evening, DC Union Station lost all air pressure to switches in the station yard and couldn't switch trains in and out of the terminal in a timely fashion. The Crescent arrived from Baltimore just as things were really getting clogged in the station. It ended up departing DC at 8 PM and then had to following a bunch of VRE trains south out of DC through Manassas as a result and just never recovered. The service disruption tag was probably thrown onto the train status at DC when Amtrak didn't know when it was going to be able to route the train south.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I almost started a thread on it last night when I got home, everything was hosed at WAS last night. 90 and 97 were also delayed pretty badly, everything on the MARC side of things was about an hour late when I passed through there.

Once there is a service disruption, the best way to find out is to call 1800 872 7245 and try the automated train status, and if that does not work, ask for an agent. The agent will tell you. It is probably running about 2 hours late because it left washington 90 minutes late and probably lost more time stuck behind VRE trains. Just like what happened to us when we came up from Florida last year.

Jack
The Crescent was just in the wrong place at the wrong time yesterday; nothing was wrong with the train itself. Last evening, DC Union Station lost all air pressure to switches in the station yard and couldn't switch trains in and out of the terminal in a timely fashion. The Crescent arrived from Baltimore just as things were really getting clogged in the station. It ended up departing DC at 8 PM and then had to following a bunch of VRE trains south out of DC through Manassas as a result and just never recovered. The service disruption tag was probably thrown onto the train status at DC when Amtrak didn't know when it was going to be able to route the train south.

Rafi
So, Washington Union Station oviously still has the archaic air over electric swtich machines. Their sole advantage is that they throw instantaneously whereas a straight electric switch motor requires a few seconds (under 10, I think) to throw.

The air system requires a central compressor and pressured air lines all over the place. Unless they have done a complete replacement, which I doubt, some of these pipes, maybe most fo them, are probably over 50 years old.

Jay, that hopefully will clear up by time we get down there this weekend, If the train is 2 hours late into New Orleans that effects our time to enjoy that evening in the city.

Jack

What happened in DC Union Station yesterday, was the Silver Meteor affected which was due into WPB today at 4:54 PM? Hopefully, everything is running back close to normal. I don't want to even think we'll have another "delay (5 hrs)" like we did two years ago, since we're leaving tomorrow. :eek:

Jay, that hopefully will clear up by time we get down there this weekend, If the train is 2 hours late into New Orleans that effects our time to enjoy that evening in the city.
Jack

No worries Jack. Cafe Dumonde is open 24 hours a day. I think it is close to your hotel too. So we can always get our Beignets.

What happened in DC Union Station yesterday, was the Silver Meteor affected which was due into WPB today at 4:54 PM? Hopefully, everything is running back close to normal. I don't want to even think we'll have another "delay (5 hrs)" like we did two years ago, since we're leaving tomorrow. :eek:
The Silver Meteor fell into the same hole as the Crescent and didn't depart WAS until 9:24, almost 2 hours late. It recovered slightly, and rolled through WPB yesterday around 6:30 PM, about 1 hour 40 mins late.

Rafi

Jack
Jack;

There's good and not so good in #19's performance. IF #20 is on time and #19 is close to on time they hold #20 south of the Tuscaloosa station to meet #19 (even though the TT shows #20 in first.) This puts me getting off in Meridian with a four hour layover waiting on #19.(Not so long ago they would let me "walk the rocks" to change trains but Amtrak has put out a no-no on this practice.) Don't take this wrong; I'm going to make my best shot at making it to Tuscaloosa but if need be I'll get off earlier in order to insure I meet #19. I usually have them bag up my lunch and give it to the station agent in Tuscaloosa and we talk while he eats his lunch and I await #19. See you somewhere on line (RR line that is...)

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back