Anyone know what time the SW Chief westbound usually gets to ABQ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junebug

Lead Service Attendant
It's supposed to get in at 1555 and leave at 1645.

I'd like to see my cousin in Albuquerque if I have time for her to come to the station. Even better, do you know someplace good near the station to grab a quick bite to eat?

I posted my trip on my Facebook page. So far I'll see two people :)

Newton, Kansas: A guy I haven't seen since high school. Hey, fifteen minutes will be better than nothing!

Los Angeles: A gal I haven't seen since junior high! We'll meet for breakfast.

Last edited by a moderator:
She needs to check Train Status at Amtrak.com or tell Julie she want Train Status. Of course the fun way would be to go to the status map for the west region.

I wouldn't wander off to a restaurant. If the train in late, that 50-minute stop will be a lot shorter. Best to keep your visit to the station platform.

I had called Amtrak and they said Newton is usually a 15 minute stop if the train is on time.

I just wondered if anyone knew what the situation in Albuquerque is. You guys already told me the Chief usually gets into L.A. about an hour early.

Are you on #3 that left Chicago today? So far so good. You're coming into Kansas City for a nice, long fresh air stop.

When the Chief is trucking along, we usually get into ABQ 15-20 minutes early, which gives you a lot of time to walk around. Stay close to the station, and try to be back at least 15 minutes before the departure time.

Newton is usually 15 minutes, but again, it depends on time. Also, they may not open every door since it's a small stop. The car attendant let my boyfriend off to smoke once, but he's had to go back as far as Coach to be let off (or denied if we're making up time).

The train has to spend about a half hour in Albuquerque at minimum, because they perform a 1500-mile inspection on the train there. At best, if nothing goes wrong, that takes about 25 minutes to complete. If any defects are found that require fixing, it could add a bit more time (this could include interior defects such as broken doors, restrooms, etc.) Once the mechanical staff release the train, then the new crew can take over and depart.

So, if your train is on time or early, plan on leaving at the scheduled departure time. Even if late, look for 25-30 minutes (but don't wander too far from the platform).

Hi Sorcha, I will be on the #3 that leaves Chicago tomorrow. Thanks so much!!!

I'll tell the attendant what is going on to see if I can get out. at Newton Hopefully he or she will love my story. That I haven't seen this guy since high school! He lives in Wichita, and is coming to the station just to give me a hug ;) :) :) Even if it is two minutes, I'll take it.

I hope they have time to stop at Newton!

Excellent that it usually gets into Albuquerque early. Maybe my cousin knows someplace in or near the station to get something to eat.

I can't wait!!!!!

Thanks Trogdor!

Fooey, trying to post pictures and it isn't working. Raton, Lamy, etc!

I just wondered if anyone knew what the situation in Albuquerque is. You guys already told me the Chief usually gets into L.A. about an hour early.
The SWC getting into LA early isn't necessarily affected by what happens in ABQ. There appears to be a lot of padding in the schedule between Fullerton and LA. I've been on the SWC an hour or more behind schedule coming into Fullerton only to get into LA on time or early!

I wish you had more time, because Tucanos is AMAZING. There are a few other cafes in the area. I laughed when I noticed they opened a Chicago Dog not too far from the station. ^_^

LOL Chicago dog in New Mexico. Almost as good as "French" fries.

Tucanos, eh? Too bad I have to miss it. Maybe I can get my cousin to pick up from Tucanos and bring it to the station :)

JuneBug, are you reading the other thread about the SWC between ABQ & LAX? Hopefully things will be fixed before you get there, but just wanted to warn you.

Tucanos isn't really a "pick-up" place. You sit at the table, and they bring over multiple skewers of meat for you to sample. They put a couple of pieces on your plate, and then another person arrives with a different skewer, and so on until you tell them to stop. You can eat as much as you want. They have everything from teriyaki chicken to steak to grilled pineapple. When we go, we're usually there for at least an hour because they only come by once every few minutes (to give you time to finish your previous samples).

It's amazing. :)

Rats. Sorry I missed this thread. If opportunity arises again, go to El Modelo - one mile South on 2nd St (the station is on 1st St, but it mergest into 2nd. Best example I can think of for "New Mexican" food (as opposed to Mexican food.

Rats. Sorry I missed this thread. If opportunity arises again, go to El Modelo - one mile South on 2nd St (the station is on 1st St, but it mergest into 2nd. Best example I can think of for "New Mexican" food (as opposed to Mexican food.
She just boarded today. She'll be in ABQ tomorrow. :)

Nom nom! Thanks! I found an amazing sushi place on Yelp, right near the station. So glad I ignored the natives' recommendations!

We did have a bit of extra time in Albeqerque.

The bummer was, we got to Los Angeles an hour late.

But I did get to briefly meet a friend there I had not seen since junior high. Phillipe's French dip was amazing. breakfast was good, too.

What a great trip so far. Wish you guys could see my pics I put on Facebook. OH , I got a tour of Facebook's headquarters today. Wow! My son works there but I haven't seen the new place until today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back