Anyone Traveling California Zephyr in new Winter Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so busy doing the double take that I didn't think to look at the rest of the consist until it passed by. Reminded me of the Portland Builder Stub. I didn't spend much time in the SSL though on that train. Just went up to the SSL to pick up my box meal then walked back to my roomette. I'm not quite sure.

roadman, if you can identify the SSL then you should have no problem identifying the baggage coach since it does not have seats nor windows on the lower level and there is a large baggage door just past the coach door for entry and exit. I hope someone will eventually take a photo of the consist and post or take a video and post on You Tube. I check those all the time especially the one in and near Agency, Iowa. Even though the train is moving fast through Agency I can always identify type of cars.
What does one look for to tell sleepers from coaches? I can never tell just from a run-by video.
Sleepers will have lower level windows on either side of the middle door. A Coach with lower level seating or a Cafe will have windows on just one side of the door and a Coach Bag will have no lower level winows and a large baggage door on one side of the entry.

"Holder limits seized-asset sharing process that split billions with local, state police"

What about state laws?
Still in effect. That said, most of the state laws have funds going to the general fund, not being kept by the police, so they're far less motivated to sweep things up. Under the "equitable sharing" program with the Feds, the local department got to keep 80% for themselves.

I don't know, this passenger looks pretty unhappy:

Exhaust_Flow.png

Good news but sort of sad that the AG had to do what the Supremes should have done long ago!

Most Americans have no idea about probable cause, warrants and innocent till proven guilty! Our Rights are granted by our Constitution and Amendments, but eternal vigilence is the price of liberty!

OK I'm going to try this video again to see if it works.

Edit: Ok I guess it works on a PC but not on my iPhone. Sorry.

IMG_9890.MOV

Attachments

• IMG_9890.MOV
    976.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
I just found a YouTube video of the Amtrak#6(15) with this consist: SSL, 2 coaches, diner, 2 sleepers. Here is the link: [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]
[/SIZE]

Here's the first short California Zephyr of the year, Amtrak #6(15), running on time in southeast Iowa this morning. The consist is (I look at the car numbers to tell the difference between coaches and sleepers):

P42DC
P42DC
sightseer lounge
coach
coach/baggage
dining car
sleeping car
sleeping car

Well this is new to me.

I took a spin on 6(17) just to take a look and can confirm it was the same way... there were some limited complaints in the SSL of fumes when starting up from a complete stop, however it seemed fine for the most part. I didn't see how train 5 came in however so I'm not sure if Chicago is keeping the train in this formation or if Oakland is switching to the order (listed below) on their end for train 6.

P42

P42

Sightseer Lounge

Coach

Coach/Baggage

Diner

Sleeper

Sleeper

Good, hope it stays that way until 6(26). I'll be able to enjoy both railfan windows!

I took a spin on 6(17) just to take a look and can confirm it was the same way... there were some limited complaints in the SSL of fumes when starting up from a complete stop, however it seemed fine for the most part. I didn't see how train 5 came in however so I'm not sure if Chicago is keeping the train in this formation or if Oakland is switching to the order (listed below) on their end for train 6.

P42

P42

Sightseer Lounge

Coach

Coach/Baggage

Diner

Sleeper

Sleeper
How much of a loading impact was there? (in other words, did the 2 coaches seem significantly more crowded than normal, were there baggage delays, overworked or excessive staff, etc.)

I rode in coach today on the CZ. Only one free double seat in the top floor of both coach cars - but still comfortable and silent. I sat in the observation car for a bit - which was awesome - and I didn't notice any smoke from the engines. The consist is as listed above, #5 going west, and almost an hour early! Fantastic trip!

We hopped on at DAV and got off at SAC (short hop but the Capitol Corridor was dispatched late behind train 6 today so I booked 6 instead) and there was ample seating in the coach/baggage car. The coach car was a bit more full (no remaining double seats, just shared singles) as that was the shorter haul car (lots for RNO). In Sacramento there was a load of people getting on, mostly directed to the coach/baggage car. From my informal count most of the coach seats would be full with a few left over for down the line. There would be no lone double seats remaining for sure. The train arrived in DAV early and left on time. The train departed SAC on time as well (it had to dwell out for the padding time).

In my casual observations the reduced consists and storage of baggage in a coach car has led to decreased dwell times and quicker loading/unloading of baggage. I only saw one attendant going between the two coach cars handling luggage and placing seat checks and what not, although the other may have been off doing some other work. The Asst. Conductor was loading baggage on and off and the Conductor was in the other coach chatting with passengers. The environment seemed pretty relaxed to me. All were fairly friendly. The only hiccup was the credit card machine was having issues in the lounge car so the Lounge Café was Cash Only to the disappointment of many passengers. Hopefully that will be fixed along the way... otherwise for those who only carry plastic and don't want to pay diner prices it might be a very long (and hungry) journey!

I'll be on 0531 next weekend and sure hope we're not right behind the engines. I much prefer the tail end of the consist :D Rail fan window baby!

I really enjoy traveling the CZ and CS in the winter for the snow. Hope there's lot's of it over the Rockies!

"only hiccup was the credit card machine was having issues in the lounge car so the Lounge Café was Cash Only"

On a recent ride to Iowa - Cafe car attendant stated this is a common problem on this route. Discussed issues with point of sale roll out etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back