Anything close to (WAS) train station.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
We have a 3.5 hour layover (providing train is on time) in Washington D.C. Is there anything close (within walking distance) to see?

We have a 3.5 hour layover (providing train is on time) in Washington D.C. Is there anything close (within walking distance) to see?
Yes. Lots. Capitol Hill, the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court are directly south of Union Station. The Library of Congress is easy to get into and has some neat exhibits. The US Capitol has a visitors center you can stop in; a tour of the Capitol requires planning, tickets, and more time than a 3 hour layover allows. If you are willing to walk further, you can walk to the eastern end of the National Mall and check out one of the Smithsonian museums. You should also check out DC Union Station itself.

You can also take the DC Metro for a quick trip to the Mall.

PS. Link to handy National Park Service PDF map of the National Mall and surrounding destinations. Union Station is to the upper right on the map.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are in to flowers and plants, the U.S. Botanical Gardens are on the Mall next to the Capitol Bldg. Beautiful orchids on display this month and thousands of other plants and flowers for a relaxing time in Washington.

I have another suggestion depending on how you are on a bike. At Union Station there is a bike rental place that you rent a bike for an hour. You can ride on the national mall to see all the monuments (i.e. Lincoln, MLK, WWII, Jefferson, etc.). With the rental, they give you a lock so when you get to the monuments you can lock the bike up and walk through. I was able to see all the monuments in a little over two hours.

The other suggestions are great. Washington is a great place with many awesome museums and sites. It is easy to get around by walking or metro. This topic has come up many times before so you may want to search.

The station itself is quite interesting, much of it converted to a very interesting mall unlike the cookie-cutter suburban jobs. If you are hungry there are plenty of good eating places right there. And if you are traveling Acela First or Sleeper do check out the Club Acela.

I like the bike idea.The think is we are coming in around 7 ish in the morning. Would they be open? How hard to get lost?

How about the Lincoln and Washington monuments? Someone said you need to take the Metra (Metro) to get there.

Yes, you'd want to take the metro to get as close as you can then walk. The metro's website is wmata.com

You probably will need advance timed tickets if you want to go to the top if the Washington Monument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back