Are there pictures of coach cars interior layout?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junebug

Lead Service Attendant
I would like to see what the layout of a train is. June mentioned a great idea for traveling coach and sleeping, getting a front seat and laying on the floor. I'd love to see the measurements, or a picture so I can get an idea of what it will be like. I will be traveling on Train #3, the Southwest Chief.

I know, I micro-manage ;) But I love knowing everything in advance so there aren't any surprises. (Who am I kidding, Amtrak? No surprises? ^_^ )

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do manage to score front row seats with the extra room, be sure to lay down a blanket or something before you do lay on the floor.

If you do manage to score front row seats with the extra room, be sure to lay down a blanket or something before you do lay on the floor.
Front seats are right be the door. People coming/going can get really annoying and loud every time the door opens.

I prefer the seats right behind the stairs. They are in the middle of the car and also have extra legroom. No tray tables though.

You guys are amazing!!! I love you to pieces! PerRock, are these your pictures and would this be Train #3 Southwest Chief? http://trainweb.org/railworld/Amtrak/Images/Superliner_Coach.jpg

Everyday, I had been searching for "Amtrak Train Layout" not "images of", thank you!

Front seats by the door, nope, that won't work. No tray tables probably I can deal with. The stairs might be a bit noisy, but better than the ones by the doors.

What about the last seat, before the trains attach to each other? Behind that seat looks to be some room?

PerRock, I just checked your pictures. Wow! Those are fantastic. Do you know which one would be my train?

I also have another question. Coming back on the California Zephyr, we have a roomette. Is there a particular one we should ask for or a particular one to avoid?

Thanks again!!

You guys are amazing!!! I love you to pieces! PerRock, are these your pictures and would this be Train #3 Southwest Chief? http://trainweb.org/railworld/Amtrak/Images/Superliner_Coach.jpg
Everyday, I had been searching for "Amtrak Train Layout" not "images of", thank you!

Front seats by the door, nope, that won't work. No tray tables probably I can deal with. The stairs might be a bit noisy, but better than the ones by the doors.

What about the last seat, before the trains attach to each other? Behind that seat looks to be some room?
Junebug: The Last Seats on Coaches are Reserved for Crew Members and on Single Level Trains the Open Space behind said Seats are Reserved for Luggage Storage and The Seats by the "Front" Doors are Generally Reserved for Handicapped Riders and or Luggage!

Ive found the Best seats on Superliner Coaches to be the Odd Numbers Seats (Window Seats) in the 20s and 40s, they are Close to the Middle, Dont have the Door and Light Problems! A tip I learned from an Old railroader is on Superliners is After the Cafe Sightseer Cafe Downstairs Coses for the Night to go down there (usually the Attendant will puut a Trash Can to Block the stairs and or a Sign Up saying it's Closed)and use the Long Couch by the Restroom (which may or may not be used depending on the Attendant working that Car)to Sleep! It's Dark and Quiet, First Come, First Served! ;) YMMV depending on the OBS and the Conductor(s) on that Route!

No, from my experience the stairs do not add any significant noise to the seats located behind the stairs.

The last row of seats would also be by a door so it will also be noisy. I guess unless you luck out and get the last car on the train.

While there are varying opinions, my own is that "any roomette is a good roomette". That said:

Roomette 2 is very near the stairs, coffee pot and upstairs restroom. This is both good (convenience) and bad (high traffic area).

Rooms (and coach seats) near the center of the car are generally felt to have a slightly better ride. This would include roomettes 2-6 and the lower level.

Upper level rooms (2-10) have a better view but more sway and rock as the train moves. Lower level rooms 11-14 sway less but have a more restricted view (and, at stations, if your curtain is not pulled anybody who wishes may look right in).

Roomettes 9 and 10 are near the door and there is noise as the door opens and closes. Roomettes 13 and 14 are next door to the family bedroom; if there is a family with rambunctious kids you will get noise through the thin walls.

The only drawback to being by the stairs is if there are a lot of unsupervised kids running about (and that seems to be the norm anymore) they always seems to be fascinated with the water fountain, the stairs and the restrooms downstairs.

PerRock, I just checked your pictures. Wow! Those are fantastic. Do you know which one would be my train?
I also have another question. Coming back on the California Zephyr, we have a roomette. Is there a particular one we should ask for or a particular one to avoid?

Thanks again!!
I'm not sure about the link you posted, it shouldn't contain any of my stuff, but the link doesn't work for me.

Both of your trains use the Superliner cars, so the first set of layouts.

peter

I thought the Superliner looked familiar! My sister is slightly handicapped so technically we could get lower level seats if any are left. I don't really like the lower level, but t looks like there is room in the last seat to stretch out. AND it is near my favorite bathroom, the huge one.

What do you think would be better? The front of the car across from the restroom, or the back of the car across from the restroom?

Junebug, I was thinking, as you are both older women, have you given any thought in getting lower level seats so you don't have to worry about the stairs? I sit in the lower level and there is always room behind the back seats to lay or in front of the front row if there is no one in a wheelchair.

I would call Amtrak and see if you can change your coach seats for the Southwest Chief to lower level. There is no charge for the change and there are only 12 seats, so much quieter and no traffic except the people in the lower level with you. It also is good because the rest rooms are downstairs and that might be an issue with doing the steep narrow stairs.

Junebug, I was thinking, as you are both older women, have you given any thought in getting lower level seats so you don't have to worry about the stairs? I sit in the lower level and there is always room behind the back seats to lay or in front of the front row if there is no one in a wheelchair.
I would call Amtrak and see if you can change your coach seats for the Southwest Chief to lower level. There is no charge for the change and there are only 12 seats, so much quieter and no traffic except the people in the lower level with you. It also is good because the rest rooms are downstairs and that might be an issue with doing the steep narrow stairs.
Thanks, June, I was thinking of that. I think there were none available, but maybe I can get them for part of the trip.

Thanks, June, I was thinking of that. I think there were none available, but maybe I can get them for part of the trip.
I have to have the lower level and for my final trip in May, I called almost every day and then finally at the station the agent worked it so I could get a lower level seat. So maybe keep calling, what happens is the seats down there seem to open up more often close to travel time because the health level of those down there can be lower and have to cancel at the last minute. I would keep calling or check on Amtrak.com then call the agent.

I have to have the lower level and for my final trip in May, I called almost every day and then finally at the station the agent worked it so I could get a lower level seat. So maybe keep calling, what happens is the seats down there seem to open up more often close to travel time because the health level of those down there can be lower and have to cancel at the last minute. I would keep calling or check on Amtrak.com then call the agent.

Good idea! Traveling with the "old farts" like me doesn't seem like much fun though. I'd probably spend most of my time upstairs and just come down there to sleep. One question though. At the back part where the seats end, it looks like there may be some room to lay on the floor. Is it big enough (if we get the back seats)?

On the Amfeet II LD coaches in the east, aren't the seats in the front with extra room typically for handicapped and/or wheelchair passengers (if they are travelling)?

On the Amfeet II LD coaches in the east, aren't the seats in the front with extra room typically for handicapped and/or wheelchair passengers (if they are travelling)?
That would sure make sense.

That would sure make sense.
Not on the LSL, the handicapped area on that coach car has always been in the rear near the bathrooms.

Plus the OP is traveling on the Southwest Chief and it is a superliner.

Good idea! Traveling with the "old farts" like me doesn't seem like much fun though. I'd probably spend most of my time upstairs and just come down there to sleep. One question though. At the back part where the seats end, it looks like there may be some room to lay on the floor. Is it big enough (if we get the back seats)?
If you are sitting in the back seat, there is definitely room to sleep behind the seats on both sides, I have seen someone there alot. The only issue is when the seats are reclinded you might have to crawl in or have her wait to put the seat back until you are in there. But then you would have to crawl out if you need to get up.

edited to add - The really good thing about behind the seats downstairs, the lower level area is a dead end, so you can lay all the way across the back with no one walking on you as long as the chairs are all turned the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
June - that sounds like a good idea! I will see if there are any seats downstairs. As I remember, the big dressing room is down there? Or is that near the downstairs lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back